T-online and 16+ (plus)

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Quite a while ago, I signed up for T-online's 16+ (plus) package which they assured me means a guaranteed minimum 16Mbps. I have just moved and without informing me they have rebooted my contract for another two years. All very good, except that in my new address I am not receiving anywhere near 16Mbps. At the time of installation it was 13Mbps, last week dropped to 6Mbps and today is sitting at around 11Mbps.

Now, I have been to the D.T shop, and they confirmed at first that my package means a minimum of 16Mbps. But when I pointed out my issues, they are now telling me there is an allowable tolerance on either side. Well, even at 13Mbps, that is a 23% failure to meet the target. I can understand being 5% out or even "maybe" 10%, but surely 23% is far too high to be considered a tolerance. And this is disregarding the drop to 6Mbps last week.

Does anyone else have a 16+ service with D.T.? and are you getting your 16Mbps?

I have asked them to provide for me a written definition of exactly what constitutes their tolerance, i.e. what percentage is acceptable, but they have yet to provide this for me. In fact, I can't find any documentation anywhere that states anything about what the 16Mbps means.

A D.T. technician is coming tomorrow, but I suspect a battle with him on what is acceptable. Any ammunition would be appreciated.

Yes and no. They told me it means that, and there was a difference between their 16Mbps and 16+Mbps. They told me the 16+ means exactly that, 16 "plus".

But I can't find their definitions anywhere.

Looky here: http://www.dslweb.de/dsl-16plus.htm

Der Telekom DSL 16plus Anschluss ist die Luxus-Variante des herkömmlichen DSL 16000 Zugangs. Die maximal erreichbare DSL Geschwindigkeit ist bei beiden 16000er-Anschlüssen die gleiche, DSL 16plus bietet jedoch einen entscheidenden Vorteil: die Telekom garantiert hier jederzeit eine Mindestbandbreite von 10.000 kbit/s Down- und 800 kbit/s Upstream.

And from Telekom itself: http://hilfe.telekom.de/hsp/cms/content/HSP/de/3378/FAQ/theme-45858643/Entertain/theme-45858641/Grundlagen/faq-39040240

Welche Geschwindigkeiten erreicht der Anschluss DSL 16 Plus?

Im Gegensatz zu DSL 16000 wird der Anschluss DSL 16 Plus mit folgenden Übertragungsgeschwindigkeiten bereitgestellt:

Downstream: 10.000 bis 16.000 kbit/s

Upstream: 800 bis 1.000 kbit/s

So a 16 "plus" connection only guarantees that you are not going to fall under 10 Mbps. I think that the person you talked to in the T-Shop doesn't know shit... how shocking.

I think you got screwed, but you should have also read the fine print. Never trust the promises of a salesperson.

DSL 16plus uses a different transmission technology to the lower speeds as it is intended for TV transmission (IPTV). Speeds should not fall under 10,000 kbit/s (so your 6Mbit/s reading, if correct, is under the minimum, assuming, of course that nothing else was happening on your network at the time).

DSL 16plus runs over the fibre optic network, so many (but not all) such connections can also be upgraded to VDSL25 or VDSL50, which if you don't need the Entertain (TV) option is often a better deal.

Year, it does indeed look like I was taken for a ride. My previous contract was even faster as it averaged 14Mbps download and 3Mbps upload.

Thanks for your answers :o)

3Mbit/s upload is three times what it should have been, and from the technology used here theoretically impossible, so something doesn't sound right.

I'd certainly ask them about an upgrade to a VDSL variant (without Entertain, if you don't need it)

3Mbps was the upload they specified, though many times it was a bit slower as expected. I used the standard internet speed tests. It was a package I asked for as I needed fast uploads being a photographer, as I needed to upload Tiff's to my agencies.

When the offered the 16+, they told me the upload was the same as what I had - I would benefit from a slightly higher download, and I took their word for it. My stupid mistake I guess.

I am in the process of asking for a VDSL variant like the 50 one.