ADHD support/self-help group in Berlin

35 posts in this topic

And I tried so hard in my wording to be vague enough to avoid inaccuracies. :) Shows you what I know.

Actually, the article at the link you posted confirms what I was trying to say in response to the post I was responding too where it was claimed that the stimulants like ritalin work by preventing you from taking in too much dopamine. I actually wasn't sure about the too much/too little direction (I mean I was vaguely aware, but I kinda let this go because it wasn't the point), but what I was trying to say was that talking about ADHD in terms of dopamine levels was too simplistic. This was hypothesized originally (I believe) because stimulants work on the dopamine system and they are an effective treatment, therefore... seems like a logical guess to make at that stage.

I was, incidentally, on wellbutrin for my ADHD for a short while back in the mid 90s (I believe before it was actually approved as an ADHD treatment, though it was already an established treatment for depression). It had absolutely no positive effect on my ADHD but it had a number of negative effects, and effectively made my ADHD worse.

well, I haven't be on line for a while...still no decision? Wednesdays is great, Prenz is also a good area, let's say at 8 ( we all are grownups and we don't fear the dark, don't we? )?

and let's say at the Weinerei at the corner of Fehrbelliner Straße and Veteranenstraße.

as I can see here we've been talking about a meeting for quite a long time, so I just thought that setting a date and a spot could be a good thing. ( I don't want to push anyone here, I'm just aware of my difficulties on organizing myself )

I'll be there this week, the 17th of december, just ask for "cubo" at the counter.

there's decent wines at good prices, so if I'm going to be there alone I'll just have a glass of red.

in alternative we could do on fridays as well, but I figure some of you might have a social life.

let me know or see you there.

Thanks cubo for taking charge! I'm in!

Just to confirm: you said Weds is OK, but gave the date for today, Tuesday (the 17th). Is that what you meant? In fact, that's better for me, so I'll be there too.

I'll be there this week, the 17th of december, just ask for "cubo" at the counter.

see you there the 18th, yeah.

Yes, I'm in. Either tonight or tomorrow, if you can clarify?

well guys, we finally did it, we met!

yesterday evening there were just three of us, but was nice nonetheless.

we exchanged information and life experiences, we talked about our approach to ADHD/ADD and how it conditions our lives. mostly we got to know each other.

personally was really interesting, meeting for the first time other folks with the same disorder.

we had a couple of glasses of wine and something to eat, we talked a lot and of course we got distracted while telling ourselves.

definitely to repeat!

the three of us are going to take some time for the holidays, but we're meeting again in a month or so ( presumably )...and this time we'd love to see a few more faces.

everyone is invited to write down suggestions for location ( even though the Focus Weinerei in Prenzlauerberg seems just about right for us ), day and time for the next one, so as for a schedule of future.

c'mon people, let's make it a thing!

Seconded! It was great to have a group where everyone knew exactly how each other felt and wandering off-topic was just as valued as sticking to one subject. Tuesdays at Weinerei, I'll drink to that!

The staff were entertained, too - when I asked for you at the bar, one staff member winked at me and asked, "Is this a dating thing?!"

Hey! It's high time to meet up again, you guys!

Since we did it on a Tuesday last time and today is also a Tuesday, it's too short of notice (at least for me!) so how about next week (4th of March)? Same time, same place?

Hey guys, I would also love to meet up with you some time.

Also which doctors/ neurologists do you see here for your prescriptions? I really need to get some medication,

I've gone too long without it and my life is quite chaotic now.

This is my husband's doctor. He's fluent in English and specializes in ADHD in adults. It's better if you're a private patient, though. He's retired I think, or nearly so, and I'm not sure he works that many hours anymore.

Dr. phil. Gerd Christian Teschke

Arzt, Neurologe, Facharzt für Psychiatrie & Psychotherapie

Weiterbildungen: Psychotherapie

Schopenhauerstr. 25

14467 Potsdam

Telefon:

0331/28791407

Thanks!

I actually realised that one of my web design customers is a doctor that can support me and prescribe whatever may be required.

The number you provided seemed to be out of service

Hi everybody,
I am 40, and I thought I'm struggling with depression, but last days, after I quit my job, I've been watching lots of YT videos and I found that reports about PTSD and ADHD are quite familiar to me, 
Few days ago I have signed up to this portal in order to find 'depression english speaking groups' but today I am not sure what to do.
Especially if the last posts on any of these topics are few years old.

Although not feeling extremely bad today, I have emptiness (or total mess) in my head, and maybe talking to someone would be a good idea.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi! I'm kind of volunteering someone else here, but my husband (age 43) also has ADHD and is always ready to talk to people about their experiences and difficulties with it. We've struggled with it as a family for many years (not to mention my own depression) and if you'd like someone to talk to, we make pretty good coffee:-)

-Megan

Hi Megan, I would be happy to have that coffee (perhaps Michael K too?) I got really worried that my kids were going to struggle at school as I had (and my father too) I started looking into dyslexia etc and asked my wife if she thought the symptoms of ADD were something our son had, she laughed and explained that had just perfectly described me! I got tested and diagnosed at Buch Klinik, That just made me feel rather depressed and flawed. I am really trying to figure out "Copping strategies" in order not to take on too much and end up disappointing people. I have been prescribed the pills but really need more coaching than medication.  If anyone knows of a consultant or group that could help I would really like to meet them. 

Thanks, 

Mark