What are you currently reading?

698 posts in this topic

Hi Novelwriter I read on the amazon site that you can't buy from the uk unless you live there. Also when you go to the UK site, they say available in UK only.

Hi Lilylou - I have a confession to make. My wife bought the kindle for me. She's in Munich at the moment but I'll check with her where she bought it. I do know for sure that I downloaded books from the amazon.co.uk kindle store and she has downloaded books from the amazon.de kindle store. Maybe it doesn't matter where you buy it?

I've just re-read the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and am now on Huckleberry Finn. Forgot how funny and great they were. Got a Wii and can read so many classics for free...

Read all of Charles Dickens I could find.

My last 'new' book was, I think the 'Kite Runner' or maybe a 'a 1000 Splendid Suns. Fantastic.

Anyway, like the thread. Wished we could do what Oprah did online and discuss a certain book.

Hello Lilylou - if you try and buy a kindle device on amazon.de it will transfer you to amazon.com anyway. You have to buy a kindle "international" and then you can download anything you want. Hope that helps!

Well, I am now reading The German Genius, by Peter Watson. It intends to be a history of german culture and its influence on the rest of the world from the 18th century on. Interesting reading, although a relatively long work, almost 1000 pages including the eternal list of references. A serious work, but easy to read.

Anyone got any good non-fiction recommendations?

These are some I like:

Don't Lets Go To The Dogs Tonight

Red Dust

Red China Blues

Stasiland

The Kindness of Strangers

Strange Places, Questionable People (and others by the same author, e.g. A Mad World, My Masters)

Shake Hands with the Devil

The Sewing Circles of Herat

The Places In Between

The Happy Isles of Oceania (and others by the same author)

A Walk in the Woods (and others by the same author)

Does anybody else read more than one book at a time (not simultaneously!).

I have a tendency to start a book and then forget where I put it down (yep - the house needs tidying) or be too lazy to go upstairs to fetch it, or feel like reading something lighter/heavier/funnier/etc. and so start another book and so on... sometimes I can be part way through reading 7 or 8 books at once...

I normally do, clickety. I usually have one book for in bed at night, one in the lounge, and one for in the train... just at the particular moment, I only have one on the go (unless you count the Java Concurrency in Practise tome that's been gathering dust on my desk as the second).

I usually read one at a time, but have two on the go at the moment: one's historical non-fiction and the other a book of short stories. It's more a case of finding the first one sometimes needing more concentration than I am able to give, and dipping into a short story for something less factual. Seven or eight at a time is impressive!

I am reading only 2 right now. The first book in the Aspect Emperor series by R. Scott Bakker, and then Clive Cussler in German, Das Gold von Sparta. My first German book, not like I can understand 40% of it but I gotta start somewhere. Then I can use the library till I can convince my husband to my me a Kindle for my birthday and Christmas. :D My book shelves are full!

A Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin (Huge Fan!^^)... the very long anticipated sequel in The Song of Ice and Fire series...otherwise known as Game of Thrones from it's new HBO series. The book is also New York Times Bestseller just got bumped down to number 2. http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-08-14/hardcover-fiction/list.html

This dude has a nice selection of Pratchett books for sale. http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224999&pid=2502141&st=0&#entry2502141

A Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin (Huge Fan!^^)... the very long anticipated sequel in The Song of Ice and Fire series...otherwise known as Game of Thrones from it's new HBO series. The book is also New York Times Bestseller just got bumped down to number 2. http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-08-14/hardcover-fiction/list.html

Been waiting 2.5 years for that book, but haven't yet managed to buy it.

What's a good TC Boyle book if I've already read and enjoyed Drop City and Tortilla Curtain?

Apart from DC I have read Riven Rock, The Inner Circle and The Women. All loosely based on historical characters, and I enjoyed every single one of them. I keep meaning to read more TC Boyle, he has become one of my favourite authors, but so many books, so little time *theatrical sigh*

Medieval Women: A Social History, which is very interesting.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation, this book is right up my street (social history + women + medieval society).

I have a pile of books that I have started, but never got round to finishing: Tallant - Voodoo in New Orleans, Fraser - The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Serger & Böttcher - Es gab Juden in Reutlingen and Margolis - O: The Intimate History of the Orgasm. Currently, I'm working my way through the Margolis one and hope to finish the other ones in due course as well.

I went to the local library yesterday (my first outing since my latest surgery, wheee!) and brought back (amongst other things) a stack of Wladimir Kaminer books, Andrea Levy - The Long Song and Patricia Cornwell - Port Mortuary. I know that this one is not one of her better books, but I have read all her Scarpetta novels so far so I'm used to some below average stories...

Hi. I know it's probably been posted before, but what are you currently reading? As an avid reader (usually when waiting for students who are late or before I go to sleep) I'm always interested in new novels and authors.

Justine by Marquis de Sade. Exciting stuff

Not for the prude :)

Thanks Lorelei! They look great, can't wait to get started.

Am also reading Dance with Dragons. I should have read the first four again prior to starting this one, though. I find I've forgotten more than half the subplots and characters since I read the last one 3 years ago, so I keep on having to refer to the Ice and Fire wiki to refresh my recollection.

I definitely recommend the series, though.

Today I finished The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger.

I finished this last week and waited until the last page for something interesting to happen so I could see what all the fuss was about. It never did. What a bore! Also, how an author can get away with repeating the same phrase, seemingly 100s of times is quite beyond me.

Threw it in the garbage.

I finished this last week and waited until the last page for something interesting to happen so I could see what all the fuss was about. It never did. What a bore! Also, how an author can get away with repeating the same phrase, seemingly 100s of times is quite beyond me.

Threw it in the garbage.

I felt the same way about going to Chicago.