The Mallorca thread

62 posts in this topic

Will do, mlovett! Thank you! ( letting you into a little secret here )..when my daughter was 5, I took her to Mallorca...to a poxy tourist-ridden hotel. The guests ate together, yes. Other tourists took pics of my daughter ( other thread angst!! Couldn´t see a problem ) and we had a balcony with a view of the swimming pool. Now, in those days, I liked a bottle of wine. Bought one. Daughter had her coca cola on the balcony looking at the silly tourists and, erm ,I didn´t have a bottle opener. You know, she also had a doll with great legs. The left leg turned out to be the perfect bottle opener!

( Disclaimer: I don´t have a great sense of direction...princesa, where´s our hotel? Don´t know, dad, left.. down that road? No, princesa, right.

Every bloody time. She was always right, I was always wrong... )

Was close in c. 1993 to getting a great job there---who knows, could be writing here in the local dialect. Meanwhile, will read your link in perfect Castillian! Thanks again!

We're doing a last minute vacation this summer (we have until mid-September in Bavaria) and the kids are pretty much set on Mallorca. Now, the budget being a big deal here, I've been looking at the all-inclusive idea to stop me from going broke with "can I have an ice" "I'm thirsty" etc.

However, I doubt I will last more than 2 or 3 days without insisting on a trip to see "something" besides a pool and the beach. This thread has been very encouraging that I won't go bat-shit crazy.

I just hope we don't end up with party central, so I'll take these photos and your suggestions of places to stay as a guideline. Thanks. :)

If you don't like vegas, don't go to Magalluf.

This island will spoil you for choice. You can get almost anything from Vegas to old-world Spain here.

Next I'll post some stuff about the places not many know about...

don't forget the Caves of Drach! They are amazing in spite of being touristy.

Jeremy - glad you mentioned the caves. Ironically I was near there just hours ago - at one of our fave non-tourist beaches. It's nowhere near Palma, and that area is well, like a different country from what you'll find in the Palma area - in fact, it's a completely different dialect out there.. I'll post something about that soon.

Do you know Rui Tropicana? It used to be a Pontinental Holiday Camp in the 70s. i was there when - I was 8 years old. Returned there this year. Jesus it looked crap. Really decayed. we went there just after the caves trip.

Thankyou, NDY, for the coolest "escape from the sad reality that is Germany" thread for a long time. And for the tittie-pics. Wonderful

We're doing a last minute vacation this summer (we have until mid-September in Bavaria) and the kids are pretty much set on Mallorca. Now, the budget being a big deal here, I've been looking at the all-inclusive idea to stop me from going broke with "can I have an ice" "I'm thirsty" etc.

However, I doubt I will last more than 2 or 3 days without insisting on a trip to see "something" besides a pool and the beach. This thread has been very encouraging that I won't go bat-shit crazy.

I just hope we don't end up with party central, so I'll take these photos and your suggestions of places to stay as a guideline. Thanks.

If you're looking for cheap, all-inclusive, kid-friendly, want to be surrounded by English-speaking people, and quite nice, try Calas de Mallorca.

The all-in hotels in Calas de Mallorca offer fabulous sea views, pools over the sea, really nice (but small) beaches, kids and adult entertainment, all you can eat and drink (English oriented food), and everything you need is there... rather isolated, but 20 minutes on a bus for €2.50 and you're in a place with restaurants and bars and massive beaches.

And it's pretty cheap. A week, all-in for a family of four might set you back from €600 - €800, depending on time of year.

No lagerlouts or drunken nonsense. Just family-oriented holiday.

post-47521-13127465022599.jpgpost-47521-13127465009072.gif

Do you know Rui Tropicana? It used to be a Pontinental Holiday Camp in the 70s. i was there when - I was 8 years old. Returned there this year. Jesus it looked crap. Really decayed. we went there just after the caves trip.

Riu tropicana is a well-known pit. Avoid it, even though it's cheap. It's crap.

If you're looking for cheap, all-inclusive, kid-friendly, want to be surrounded by English-speaking people, and quite nice, try Calas de Mallorca.

The all-in hotels in Calas de Mallorca offer fabulous sea views, pools over the sea, really nice (but small) beaches, kids and adult entertainment, all you can eat and drink (English oriented food), and everything you need is there... rather isolated, but 20 minutes on a bus for €2.50 and you're in a place with restaurants and bars and massive beaches.

And it's pretty cheap. A week, all-in for a family of four might set you back from €600 - €800, depending on time of year.

No lagerlouts or drunken nonsense. Just family-oriented holiday.

post-47521-13127465022599.jpgpost-47521-13127465009072.gif

OMG - if I could find that on-line (haven't hit the travel agent yet) I would book it - but so far everything is €600-€800 per person. Will keep looking though - thanks for the tip!

Thankyou, NDY, for the coolest "escape from the sad reality that is Germany" thread for a long time. And for the tittie-pics. Wonderful

Many thanks for that...

My intention isn't to slight Germany... I have many peeves about Germany, but at least there are jobs and relative stability there...

My intention is only to let people know that Mallorca isn't Magalluf, and it isn't Arta.. It's a uniquely diverse little rock in the middle of the mediterranean that offers a lot of different things to suit many different tastes, and IMHO, it's hard to beat - especially since it's only 2 hour's flight from Germany - regardless of what someone who visited one place, one time, might say... You really can get what you want here. I love this place for that...

I am constantly finding amazing new stuff all the time. Just yesterday, I took a drive only half a Km away from my house on a dirt road I've never travelled.. and I found a little valley that simply stunned me. Absolutely beautiful and serene, just 500m from my house hidden away amongst a couple of mountains.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

How's Menorca?

We went 3 times to Menorca when the children were young. I think Menorca is generally considered to be great for young kids. Sandy beaches (Son Bou), few high-rise hotels, Small airport (at least it was back then). Subsequently we "moved" to Ibiza.

For those of you wanting to save cash and not be situated in a crowded resort/built up hotel area, reasonally priced self contained apartments can be found on this site:

Holiday Rentals

We stayed in a self contained apartment in a quiet residential area, which was only €300 per week during high season. A bargain!

post-109342-13127866792968.jpg

post-109342-1312786695057.jpg

post-109342-13127866962745.jpg

That is a bargain! We did self-catering in Italy one year and it was great - local fresh fruit and veg., good wine, all in all inexpensive and good.

I just really wanted to do an all-in holiday to also give myself a holiday from cooking, shopping and listening to "can't we go out for dinner tonight?" "I'd like and ice" "Can I get a drink at the pool" and generally being nickled and dimed to death. :lol:

Aquarius Girl - you sound like us - We much prefer private flats over hotels. I think the experience is much better - and it can be a lot cheaper, too.

There are 1000's of private lettings on this island - everything from charming little mountain chalets to exotic beach houses and everything in-between.

Just last weekend, we had a dinner & drinks evening with some friends from Berlin who are currently here on holiday, and rent the same private flat every year. I think they said they pay about €500 per week, but it's really nice - 3 BR 2 bath with a big terrace and garden - right down the road from Cala Mondrago . Same as yours - residential area, quiet, and friendly.

If your brainwaves are similar, one of the more popular sites to find them is here .

Here are a few samples around €300-€400 per week:

post-47521-13127928645632.jpgpost-47521-1312792866216.jpg

post-47521-13127928676912.jpgpost-47521-131279286897.jpg

If you can afford to take a private apartment or villa on a long-term contract, you can get some great places really cheap. You'd be surprised how many people do this (and can afford to). We know an English couple who live in Devon - but spend about 4-5 months here at various times of the year. Their business is internet-based, so it's possible for them to be away from England without too much impact - they can also work from here.

Anyway, we were considering renting this 3-bedroom beach apartment with huge terrace on Cala Mandia a couple of years ago as a summer retreat. It was only €900 per month (2yr+ contract). I was shocked at how cheap it was, since it's directly on the beach, but obviously we just can't afford to sustain that cost over the entire year just to have a few months on the sand in the summer. €900/mo is a very good deal for a 3 bedroom beach property.

Too bad you can't get that deal prorated on a weekly basis in high season.

post-47521-13127960726963.jpgpost-47521-1312796074829.jpg post-47521-13127960738398.jpg

Im becoming a Malle fan partly out of necessity (our other fave places Canary Islands and Maldives are too far with a two-year-old) but also because of exactly the variation you mention. We have drifted to focus on Cala Millor and even spent last Xmas there - It was great. We tend to be in one of the two(?) Hippocampo hotels - Both are nice, even in the off-season.

Im becoming a Malle fan partly out of necessity (our other fave places Canary Islands and Maldives are too far with a two-year-old) but also because of exactly the variation you mention. We have drifted to focus on Cala Millor and even spent last Xmas there - It was great. We tend to be in one of the two(?) Hippocampo hotels - Both are nice, even in the off-season.

Cala Millor is great IMO.. All the benefits of being in a big resort - Lots of good hotels and apartments (and spread out - not on top of each other), the zillions of good (and cheap) restaurants, pubs, loads of shops, supermarkets and that massive white sand beach.. and it's clean, spacious, and without the lagerlouts and party animals.

Plus - very kid-friendly - there's so much stuff for kids to do in Cala Millor... kiddie rides, go karts, boating, banana boats.. the kids love it.

The Hipocampo Palace is highly rated. Never stayed there, but it looks nice:

post-47521-13128083114518.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLd81IHGQw&annotation_id=annotation_175587&feature=iv

I'm trying to book a trip for my mom to Mallorca and the travel agent recommended places in Peguera. Thank goodness I read this thread because it seems Peguera is full of Germans! She'll be in Barcelona the days before, so she wants to see Spain, not little Germany. Would anyone have a recommendation for her? She's in her early 60s, wants to mainly shop or browse, go to the beach, hang by the pool, drink a beer or two at a bar, see some sights, but she's not into museums or culture per se, but she can speak Spanish fluently. She doesn't like to walk (she's American), but walking a bit into town or such is ok. She has no qualms taking a bus.

Two years ago we were in Malaga and we took the bus to the southern beachy areas. She liked that. Maybe she could do the same by just staying in Palma?

Peguera is definitely a German resort. I think she might enjoy Port de Pollenca or Soller, which is more international. Also Cala Bona attracts a lot of English and there are a lot of seafront retsaurants there, and a huge white sand beach.

She might want to consider private accommodation instead of a resort (this is the option we always choose). There are a lot of private rooms and villas owned by people who take a lot of pride in their homes and guests. More relaxing with more sanctity and better quality everything at much more reasonable prices. IMHO B&B's and private rooms are a lot better because you aren't crammed into block hotel rooms with 1000's of others and their kids waiting in queues for everything, you get better TV, kettle and coffee in your room, good beds, nice bathrooms, often a full kitchen, decent breakfasts are usually included and the cost is usually lower than a resort.

We use Flats.com a lot, and also AirBnB.com . there are a lot of different and unique places on Majorca from these two sites alone. There are other places to look too, but these are the ones we use.

Just enter "majorca" as a search term.