The Mallorca thread

62 posts in this topic

Just a thought but wouldn't you be better off on a board for expats in Spain rather than on a site for people in Germany??? :blink:

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave (in your head, at least).

Just a thought but wouldn't you be better off on a board for expats in Spain rather than on a site for people in Germany???

He posted in World Travel. It's vacation information. Looking forward to the photos, and to hearing more! NDY, is there much original Mallorcan culture/ dialect/ food left, or is it all touristy? Any personal recommendations for places to stay and to eat with locals (like B&Bs, casas rurales, etc.) rather than a resort?

Just a thought but wouldn't you be better off on a board for expats in Spain rather than on a site for people in Germany???

Well, first, the forum is "world travel". The expats who live in Mallorca already know something about it.

But OK... should I post a thread about Frankfurt under "world travel" instead?

Nice thread. Sounds like a place with something for everyone, unlike what is portrayed mostly on TV.

One of my favourite things in life is watching the guys and gals from 'Goodbye Deutschland' coming up with the brainwave of opening a beach bar at one of the popular resorts in Mallorca. For some reason, it always makes me feel better about myself.

Oh, I dunno, blue. I like reading anything about the new German Bundesländer!

He posted in World Travel.

As he said, he lives in Spain, not Germany.

Maybe we should start an international page for everyone from Papua New Guinea or wherever and stuff the title of the board eh?

Ahh sod it, who cares.

You're right, not changing my life any.

He used to live in Germany. Before that, California, IIRC. I'd like to know what he does for a living to end up an expat on an island paradise. Then I'd like my husband to send his CV to that company. :D

Probably a long shot, but what the hell. Do they need farmers?

Most certainly looking forward to the pics. Yachts are cool. Bikini babes, in various states of (un)dress, are also cool.

Very jealous smile.gif

Well I love Majorca.

We stayed in that town near Deia in the mountains and loved it.

I am here in Mallorca, and I am loving it! It is evrything NDY said, if not more! :) . Love the weather, people, culture, food, and just about everything.

Valdemossa it was. Stunning Hotel Encinar.

Did you know john Noakes lives in Andratx?

There's a song called Mallorca, Isle of Love. Mallorca sounds really nice.

As for costs, isn't Mallorca still called the Putzfraueninsel because cleaning ladies could afford to vacation there?

Ah! Mallorca!

Gorgeous place. Divine. Beautiful. Stunning.

Spent 3 weeks there last year. Here's some happy snaps.

post-109342-13124898468212.jpg

post-109342-13124898482537.jpg

We stayed at Costa de la Calma. Loved Peguera Beach.

The only problem was too many germans! And whining ones at that. Even my GerMAN couldn't stand the sight and sound of them.

Not sure I'll go back.

Ah we were near there, but no. Deia is the next village on from Valdemossa, and the house is near there.

We did a lot of hiking, like the Deia Soller trip. Beautiful trip.

He posted in World Travel. It's vacation information. Looking forward to the photos, and to hearing more! NDY, is there much original Mallorcan culture/ dialect/ food left, or is it all touristy? Any personal recommendations for places to stay and to eat with locals (like B&Bs, casas rurales, etc.) rather than a resort?

yeah, well, as you might expect, the coastal areas have become rather touristy, but beautiful just the same. There are some remaining "native" beaches that only the locals frequent. You really need to know the terrain and/or have a boat to find them, though.

post-47521-1312530445572.jpg

Otherwise, there's plenty of villages in the interior of the island where you'll be lucky to see a tourist at all. Places like Villafranca, Maria de la Salud, or Sa Pobla appear to have been frozen in the 19th century, and then there's cities like Inca and Manacor which are largely populated by native Mallorquins - not touristy at all.

post-47521-13125323519078.jpg

Rafael Nadal still lives in Manacor. You can often see him sitting at a street cafe in the center or hanging out at the tennis club. The people in Manacor know him well, and for the most part treat him just like any other local, which I think is pretty cool. Nadal and Manacor

Probably a long shot, but what the hell. Do they need farmers?

Most certainly looking forward to the pics. Yachts are cool. Bikini babes, in various states of (un)dress, are also cool.

Very jealous smile.gif

Comin' up.. I've decided to go with Magalluf first instead of Palma.

post-47521-13125300519986.jpg post-47521-13125301492174.jpg post-47521-13125302684008.jpg

Stay tuned for more about Magalluf.

Ah! Mallorca!

Gorgeous place. Divine. Beautiful. Stunning.

We stayed at Costa de la Calma. Loved Peguera Beach.

The only problem was too many germans! And whining ones at that. Even my GerMAN couldn't stand the sight and sound of them.

Not sure I'll go back.

Yeah, Costa de la Calma and Paguera are indeed great little villages and beach, but with all due respect, the English around here refer to Paguera as "Deutschland-on-sea". I don't think there is one single non-German business of any kind in our around Paguera. Which might explain why the biggest Oktoberfest look-alike takes place in Paguera simultaneously with the one at the 'wiesen:

post-47521-13125299826128.jpg

I'm not criticising you, since you really wouldn't have known that in advance, but going to Paguera and complaining that there's too many Germans is not too far from going to Italy and complaining there's too many Italians :-)

Next time, try parking in Port de Pollenca (much more English-oriented):

post-47521-13125309104492.jpg