Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Munich Airport expansion approved despite opposition

7 posts in this topic

Proponents of a bigger Munich Airport have cleared a major hurdle: Bavarian officials have approved the construction of a third runway to increase the capacity of Germany's second largest air hub.

Expected to be finished by 2015, the expansion would allow 120 planes to take off and land at the airport per hour instead of the current 90.

The approval comes as airport officials hope to turn Munich into a major hub on par with Germany's largest, Frankfurt Airport. But it is facing steep opposition from some residents and conservationists who are backing lawsuits to stop the expansion.

Click to read the full article.

post-46630-1311694020000.jpg

It's not expected to be finished by 2015 because the airport has already said it won't start construction until the appeals have been heard.

Apparently the Catholic church is also standing in the way by refusing to sell pieces of church owned land that are needed for the construction.

How long do they need for the construction once the appeals have been completed? Yes, I know that I am implying that the appeals will fail but, coming from Erding, I would - wouldn't I?

About three years, I believe. They have to reroute the major Freising-Erding Landstrasse and knock down two villages plus half of Freising-Attaching. But the important thing is that someone flying from Rome to New York can change planes in Munich without any delays.

About three years, I believe. They have to reroute the major Freising-Erding Landstrasse and knock down two villages plus half of Freising-Attaching. But the important thing is that someone flying from Rome to New York can change planes in Munich without any delays.

It seems like a great deal of destruction before the so called construction can even begin.

Something like the three rivers dam in China which in so many years will not be fit for purpose because it is not only preventing the water from flowing freely, but also the slit which remains behind the dam filling the cavity that is suppose to hold water.

The math does not look right either two runways 90 planes per hour, that means 45 plane per runway per hour.

Why only 30 planes per hour for the third runway? Seems like diminishing returns to me.