Public Transport in Bremen

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for your opinions on what is the best option for paying for public transport in and around Bremen. I want to avoid paying in cash on the bus / tram each and every time i use it and wondering what other people do? Is there a monthly card i can buy? or is there a book of tickets? of a pre-paid card?

I plan to cycle most places, but when the weather's not great or i just get lazy, i will use the public transport.

I haven't moved to Bremen yet, but trying to get my head around everything in advance.

I'd appreciate all and any advice.

Thanks

Hi DD , fortunately Bremen is a great city for public transport, but if truth be known cycling is the best option as there are radwegs (cycle tracks)everywhere and the city is not that big.

If you want a monthly card, you can buy one from the BSAG (local transport authority) for about 50€/month and then its unlimited bus and strassenbahn.The sporadic user can take advantage of a 'BOB' credit card which allows discounted tickets that can be bought on the tram as and when you want.The BOB card is free and you get billed directly automatically everymonth for what you use.Its 'smart' in as much as you punch into the machine all your journey details including who you are travelling with and it automatically calculates the most economical ticket for you and your fellow travellers (eg family ticket)on that day.

Congratulations on your choice of city, it is a great place to live.Make sure you hook up with the TTers at one of the meet ups when you arrive , you can get much more information that way, and sample the great beer at the same time.

In advance... welcome to Bremen :D ,

cheers

Thanks a heap for the info! Very helpful!

The 'BOB the Bus Driver' card seems to be the way to go :)

i would like to avoid those moments when i run to catch a departing bus, only to face the bus driver with nothing smaller than a €50 in my pocket! Doesn't happen that often to be fair (the €50 bit that is :-))

Will definitely try to make it along to some of the meet ups once i get myself settled. Will be living in Neustadt, so fairly handy for most of the drinking dens. I actually know Bremen quite well at this stage, have been travelling back and forth between Dublin and there for a couple years now, but finally decided to make the move. Looking forward to discovering it some more!

Thanks again for the info and take care!

The 'BOB the Bus Driver' card seems to be the way to go

Bob is definitely the way to go if your travelling is sporadic. As James said, its "smart" so if you end up travelling more than usual it defaults to the cheapest fair option (so if you take several journeys it will charge you for a multiticket or day pass etc).

Again as james said - Once you are in the middle of Bremen its very easy to get around by bike.

Hi!

In addition to the first question, I would like to know how much does cost a monthly ticket for a uni-student?

I am also planning to move in Bremen and looking really forward to it.

Hi Kat3,

In advance welcome to Bremen too, i am sure you will love it here! , in answer to your question, as a student you can buy a 'Semesterticket' which runs from September 2011 to September 2012.Last year it was 105Euros but this year it is 112,92

The exact terms and conditions you will need to read as it is conditional on where you are studying, plus the Bremen transport system is split into tarif zones and whether you qualify can depend on exactly where you will be living, here is the link :-

http://www.bsag.de/4623.php#4737

All the best to you,

cheers

Hey hey,

just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I use the monthly ticket, which is a fantastic investment, especially in the winter months when cycling becomes more than a little wet and cold :) The great thing about it is that you can bring other people along with you for free on the weekend and in the evenings after 7pm, which is fab if you've got friends or family visiting.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm also living in Neustadt Dublindigital, and am from Northern Ireland myself, so make sure you come along to one of the TT meets when you get here :)

Nikki

Great stuff, will definitely be retiring the bike for the bulk of the winter i think, so few good options there! It's very helpful to get this advice straight from the horses mouth (no offence to anyone :-) )

Nikki, will definitely make it along to one of the TT nights, moving to a new city is thirsty work! Can you recommend any good local bars around Neustadt? I know it's very close to Schlacte and will be spoiled for choice there, but don't know Neustadt too well.

Looking forward to meeting some new people.

Hi DublinDigital, being Irish I think you'll appreciate Murphys Corner in Neustadt. I don't think it's Irish owned but they do sell Murphys.

Here's a link to their website. http://www.murphys-corner-bremen.de/

I'm not in Bremen, but am close enough. I have a BOB-Karte (fantastic), and buy monthly tickets December, January, February when I tend to cycle less. A bonus with BOB is that you can get to quite few regional destinations with it too, once you get to Preisstufe E,F etc.

I think we're really spoilt with having the Schlachte so near, so I tend to spend the majority of my time there, but there's a wee bar called Mono that's not bad. It's a smokey we hovel, but they've cheap beer, a foosball table and they show the sports, so I can't complain :)

I've never been in Mono, gone past it many a time on the Strassenbahn. I must check it out.

Mono, I think, ticks both the inconspicuous and unpretentious boxes. Tis mighty mini though. Still, let me know when you get here and I'll take you for a wee beer to welcome you to the neighbourhood :)

Dear Everyone,

I have only been here a few months so I am still not sure how things work.

Concerning the BOB card, if you put the card into the machine and press the big Bremen 100 squarish area, select 1 adult, and press enter or something your card will pop out and then you just bought a ticket.

Since I have to change buses, do I have to purchase another ticket (e.g. follow the steps above on the very next bus)? I have seen people with their yellow MIA card just flash these at the driver then take their seat, but I haven't see people do that with their BOB cards.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Cheers,

MCIMAGO

Dear SnowingAgain,

Thanks for your kind reply. 

The explanation for validity from the link SnowingAgain shared above in English is as follows:

Valid for a single journey to a specific destination. 

Journeys of price level I (Bremen, Delmenhorst, Nordenham and Verden) and price levels A and S can last three hours, while those in price levels B-G can last four hours, and those in price level H can last until once the destination is reached (no later than 3am the following day). Journeys of price level I (Bremerhaven and Oldenburg) can last 90-minutes for any number of rides, including return journeys. 

Stopovers and an unlimited number of changes are permitted during this time frame.

I asked several Germans before reading the section above and they said the same thing that was published on the BSAG site. This is great, you just have to buy one BOB Ticket by pressing that huge big Bremen 100 squarish area on the screen, select 1 adult, and press enter and you can use this ticket for 3 hours to reach your destination. You can get off the bus or train as much as you want and then simply getting on the Train or Bus again and keep going to your destination.

The kind Germans I inquired also told me, that if it is after 19:00ish and the bus drivers make you board through the front of the bus, you just simply show them your Bob card and then take a seat. You don't have to put it back in the machine and buy another ticket.

This is kind of nice. I am not used to a public transportation system like this.

Thanks again ShowingAgain for your kind help.

Cheers,

Rocko262c