Visiting Paris, France

114 posts in this topic

1- what are the reasonable grocery stores in Paris? I mean those like LIDL or REWE in Germany.

2- while in Paris for 3-4 days with my wife, can we use our German SIMs to contact each other without any high roaming? or we are better to buy 2 french SIM cards from there?

1- what are the reasonable grocery stores in Paris? I mean those like LIDL or REWE in Germany.

2- while in Paris for 3-4 days with my wife, can we use our German SIMs to contact each other without any high roaming? or we are better to buy 2 french SIM cards from there?

1.  I typically use Monoprix or Carrefour to buy groceries while in Paris.

2.  This would depend on the contract and terms with your carrier.  You need to discuss this with your provider.

You will find a Lidl or an Aldi if you really wish. Leader Price has  fairly the same price level. Still the general price level for groceries is 10-20 % higher than here.

And as long as you don't chat for hours there is no need to be worried about roaming costs. Cents, for 3-4 days. Buying new prepaid cards which you might not even use up isn't going to save you money.

You will find a Lidl or an Aldi if you really wish. Leader Price has  fairly the same price level. Still the general price level for groceries is 10-20 % higher than here.

And as long as you don't chat for hours there is no need to be worried about roaming costs. Cents, for 3-4 days. Buying new prepaid cards which you might not even use up isn't going to save you money.

what about the data? i think i'd need to use internet to find my way through the public transport, and visiting different places, etc. At the moment i have 1&1 but they offer 150Mb/7 days package for 5 euros. and I think it's not sufficient for my purpose. 

1&1 European roaming packages

No offense, but how about you do your own research instead of expecting us to spoon-feed it to you?

None taken! BTW i already mentioned that package in my previous post, but i wasn't sure if it's a good deal or i'd better to go for local prepaid deals in Paris. Apparently you go with the first option (my provider) . 

1. Carrefour. This also works abroad: in most European countries you can find either Carrefour or Lidl or both.

2. For 3 days no sense unless you you're used to spending hours on your phone. You'll get the prices by SMS once you cross the border. These days prices are really low in the EU.

1. Carrefour. This also works abroad: in most European countries you can find either Carrefour or Lidl or both.

2. For 3 days no sense unless you you're used to spending hours on your phone. You'll get the prices by SMS once you cross the border. These days prices are really low in the EU.

totally it'll cost 27ct/min (if call my wife there). 

My mom is here, visiting me from the U.S. Our weekends plans fell through so I suggested going to Paris (from Mannheim, we can be there in 3 1/2 hrs by train). Problem is, she can't do too much walking. She's not "old", but she wants to keep walking to a minimum and when she does she walks, she walks very, very slow. We'd have to rely on public transport to get around. Can anyone suggest how best we can do this, via hop-on-hop-off bus or any other tours? She's never been so I plan for us to just see the highlights. I've never made it into the Louvre, so that's on the top of my list with or without her :-)

Also, and I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but where should I consider hotels (we'd do 4 star at least) just so I can have a feeling of where to start looking.

The boat trips on the Seine are nice, and very relaxing. It's worth getting off at the Jardin des Plantes for a stroll, the gardens are quite attractive and there are plenty of benches. There's an outdoor cafe if you want to stop for lunch - it used to be pretty decent although it's years since I was there last. 

20 hours ago, Elfenstar said:

Also, and I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but where should I consider hotels (we'd do 4 star at least) just so I can have a feeling of where to start looking.

I don't remember areas of Paris to consider/not consider but certainly in Paris when it comes to hotels you should be prepared to spend some money.  If you get a cheap hotel then it will be very poor quality, as some people I know found out recently!  Paris is not a city where you have to be careful when looking for a hotel bargin!

I have stayed in the following areas which I found to be good;

1st, 2nd, 8th 6/5th arrondissements

Certainly the area around Gard d'Nord/Est is not nice.

We ended up booking a hotel near the Alma/Marceau metro station. Although we were in walking distance to many things (Arc de Triomph, the Champs Elysees and the Eiffel Tower, for example) because my mom couldn't walk too much, we had actually great bus connections and luckily, got a 10er ticket the train station. We just had to be clever about how we used the 90 minutes to transfer. It was easy getting from Paris East to the hotel via metro, but  there were too many stairs for her liking. We also did a hop-on/hop-off too.

The hotel was expensive, but I do remember once staying in a cheap one in Montmarte and I felt the creepy crawlies while sleeping.

Unfortunately, we didn't discover a convenient grocery store until it was too late, but I filled my belly at lunch with salty crepes and a cafe I found on Yelp (Kozy Cafe) and the Pret A Manger were perfectly fine for breakfast.

Btw, with my German contract (and my mom's too), texting was free so once we split up briefly, we found each other quite easily that way. I also had 50 MB data volume free, which was great when using maps or finidng the right bus connection, otherwise I used the wi-fi in the hotel to upload pics and stuff. I had to top it up once for €1,99 for another 50 MB.