Visiting Paris, France

114 posts in this topic

was in Paris last weekend and was taken to Le Train Blue a la Gare de Lyon... superb: both the food (tres cher mais pour les gastronome) and the building itself... gorgeous!

If you're going on a tour of the city, I'd recommend saving the Eiffel Tower for an evening trip. At night, it's been lit up blue with gold stars, and it looks absolutely stunning. Every hour on the hour thousands of bulbs do a light show for a few minutes- definitely something the kids would enjoy.

Oh yes, that's incredibly pretty right now - it's as France has the EU Presidency.

The evening boat trip (i.e. when it is dark) along the Seine is very nice. You catch the boats at a quay not far from the place where Lady Die came a cropper racing the paparazzi through the streets of Paris at 120 mph and her drunk and drugged driver smashing their black 1994 Mercedes-Benz S280 (registration no. 688 LTV 75) into the thirteenth pillar of a tunnel.

Some people believe that the crash was caused by high tech tampering of the control system of the car, as this Mercedes was stolen a few days before the crash and the onboard computer chip was removed. The onboard computer chip controls, amongst other things, navigation, acceleration, steering and braking of a vehicle.

http://princess-diana-life-n-death.blogspo...-of-stolen.html

TAXI's from A'port to Paris

I understand that Taxis from the airport to down town Paris dont have Child seats - can anyone confirm or deny this one?

I gather its not mandetory if the taxis dont have them...

and finally has anyone used a good airport transfer group ( i have the details of train and bus thank you) that they can recomend for a family transfer

cheers

Child seats are not mandatory in Parisian taxis and it's actually quite rare to find a taxi with one. How old is (are) the child(ren)?

Some museums like Musée Louvre or Musée d'Orsay can be simply too big to really appreciate completely, but I think a must-see is Musée Rodin because it's small but pleasant and the statues are pretty sweet.

Wow is this topic 3 years old? Yikes.

Long shot but...

I'm looking for a bar which is meant to be good banter. Apparently all the characters at Disneyland hang out there after hours.

All I know is 1) its less than 20 euros for a taxi from Disneyland to there. and 2) it used to be called "After".

Anyone have any idea at all??? Cheers for any suggestions.

It was indeed called "After" but the french Health and safety shut the place down...

They found a 6" mouse in the kitchen! B)

If you've already been to Paris a few times, and are looking for something after the "must sees", you could try some other places.

The Parc de Bercy between metro stops Bercy & Cour Saint-Emilion is quite nice. particularly on a weekday, as it's refreshingly free of crowds and tourists. There's also an outdoor bobo shopping mall (Bercy Village) at Cour Saint-Emilion, though either metro station is good to get to the park.

The Canal de l'Ourcq is a nice walk east along the Quai de la Loire/Quai de la Seine, then head a bit north to the Science & Industry Museum. Get there at metro stop Jaurès or Stalingrad. It's a popular, local place to play pétanque; and at night, a place to picnic and swill some wine next to the canal while enjoying the pretty lights.

La Défense is neat too, imho.

It was indeed called "After" but the french Health and safety shut the place down...

They found a 6" mouse in the kitchen!

I read that as 6ft and thought you might have meant Mickey. ;)

No way! Where is it though or is it just empty now?

Also, where do the students go? ie. easy totty?

No clue, but what's with you and Disneyland Paris?

Aren't you supposed to be getting your geek on as an engineer with some oil rig or something? B)

sadly company HQ is here... c'est la vie.

7 euros a beer (almost = 7GBP!) a pint too, not good!

good luck finding some cheap and decent beer. When do you leave?

I can see if one of my former roommates is in the Paris area (she lives in Strasbourg, but is from Fontainebleau and is often in the Paris area). She'd be able to tell you good places you'd enjoy.

I'll be here for weeks/months yet...so please do! Thank you mere! :)

Le Bastille area is where all the young folk hang out I have figured. Lots of fun bars and clubs. "giggidy giggidy" if you know what I mean.

just wanted to add something for people who'd have a bit more time than just three days in Paris : La Sainte Chapelle. Only if it's really sunny. Lots of stairs to climb, but the vitrals there are probably the most fantastic i have ever seen. (it's not a bar).

http://sainte-chapelle.monuments-nationaux.fr/

Really a breathtaking experience when you're in there, immersed in the colored light.

Flo

PS : also : i recommend this french movie with some sights of Paris : Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (the fabulous destiny of Amelie Poulain ?)