Visiting Paris, France

114 posts in this topic

Stay in the fifth or sixth arrondissement, they are well located, see the Musee d'Orsay, walk in the garden next to the Comedie Francaise, Pont neuf, pont des arts, screw the tours, for the hotel go to hotels-paris.fr...

Musee d'Orsay - one of the most beautiful museums in the world - please make sure you go upstairs right side to see the impressionists!!

Walking in the Marais - get lost here, romantic and old town - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Marais

Pont des Arts - a bridge across from the Louvre go there, walk around, have coffee in the Tuileries (Park in front of the Louvre)

Blvd de Saint Germain - shopping streets and walking, see the church here and the restaurants are fantastic, please make sure you walk the Cour du Commerce de Saint Andre (small small street) see here - http://www.manstouch.com/travel/sights6th.html

have fun.

I went to stay a week, I stayed 15 years.

Hi Anya, I dusted off the remains of my school French and was consistently answered in good English. Which says more about my French than their English of course, but...! You should have no problem with a leetle, leetle French, a big charming smile and the rest in English.

Thank you everyone. You have been so helpful, and Crusoe, I loved what you said.

Thanks again

I can only second what crusoe said -- people tell you how unfriendly Parisians are, and I never found that to be the case. You just try a word or two in French and the effort is appreciated, and when they realize your French is more crap than their English, they´ll answer you in English (I ordered a coffee at the train station and was answered in English! Must work on my accent...)

At the restaurants always order the full menus, better and cheaper than ordering a la carte.

Watch out for dog poop.

Ok anyone TTers very failiar with Pais, I am trying to find out what zone Parc De Prince stadium is in the stop is Ponte de st cloud, it looks like zone 4 to me but the Metro says everything within the city limits in zone 1-3?? Or is it outside the city limits?

Cheers

OMG TT peeps!! You guys like totally forgot to mention Eurodisney!! DUH!!!

But if you can't make it out there you might burn at least a couple of hours window shopping through the Golden Triangle around the Avenue Montaigne. And that's without even stepping foot in a single store. It must be pointed out that this is a treacherously perilous area of Paris for husbands and their credit cards.

Thanks Sharpe & Canuk, finally found a zone map that I can understand & it is indeed in zone 3, thats good as it's only 8.50 for a day ticket for the carte visite, not sure if there is any diff between that & the mobilis ticket though!

Dan, I have absolutely no desire to go to eurodisney thanks, been to disneyland & that was enough. Anyway the place might be full of drunk rugby fans :D

OMG TT peeps!! You guys like totally forgot to mention Eurodisney!! DUH!!!

Some of us are actively trying to ignore it.

I love Toytown sometimes - this thread has conjured up enough memories for me to fill 3 days with my boys there without stressing about it. Too much.

Has anyone here gone with kids? Specifically, I am dealing with 2 days with my parents and a 7 year old lively boy and an 11 year old intellectual as well as (after a week away) a half day with my kids before we hop the fast train back to Munich.

We've already worked out that we will try to spend the first day before my parents show up doing a tour of some sort, to get an overview and hopefully a bit of history/cultural awareness of where we are. The next day may be spent with the geek and his granddad at the Louvre (seriously the kids idea, not mine) while mr. bubbly and I hit Eurodisney for the day (if I don't strangle him first) and grandma gets a manicure or goes shopping (her words).

Any other suggestions? Any hotel suggestions that suit kids, grandparents and a modest budget?

Thanks, I'd already googled those sites. I was wondering if anyone had any personal insights.

Can't help with hotel tips (as I stay with pals there), but if Grandma needs shopping or beauty salon tips... but if you all like steak (and frankly that's all that is on the menu) join the queue outside Le Relais de l'Entrecôte. They are fine with kids and also have great desserts.

Also the legendary dog shit problem is a LOT better than in previous years!

Paris Plages will also be worth a look - it's an artificial beach built every year along the Seine (actually this year there are two) and there's a festival programme too.

I can also recommend the Le Relais de L'Entrecote (the one in St. Germain). Great place for all you can eat steak and chips. Mmmm. The wine was good (from what I remember as well).

Try Accor hotels, when you go in to the website you will get a map of paris & you can juts click on the are you want to stay in & it will give you a list all of the hotels in that area, then you can pick depending on your budget, I have stayed in quite a few & they are always clean & well maintained, some of them also have apartment type places with separate living area, we stayed in a Mecure by parc des princes, was a nice place with small kitchenette, living area and a huge balcony, the hotel had a bar, restaurant, cafe & it was €120 a night, but it was during the RWC so prices might have been jacked up a bit.

I was in the Louvre a few weeks ago...so many tourists, it almost ruined the experience for me. I recommend the ceilings of the louvre among the best sights in Paris. Wow. Amazing.