Visiting Paris, France

114 posts in this topic

Restaurant Georges

19, rue Beaubourg

Centre Pompidou

It's owned by the Costes brothers who also own Cafe Marley and the Costes Hotel (the Costes CDs come from this hotel). The food is similar in all establishments (or used to be in 2002).

@ Elfenstar

I know, it's a pity about the museums - but really, my time in Paris is so limited, and given my way of making my way through art museums... I could literally spend days wandering through the Louvre. I figure they're not going anywhere, so I'll save them for the next time I'm in the city. Which will hopefully be sooner rather than later... group trip, maybe? TT Does Paris?

If you'll go back for the museums, you have to take a coulpe of hours to see the Musee Fragonard, at the Ecole Nationale Véterinaire d'Alfort. It's never crowded.

Well, I did technically visit the Louvre. We walked through the courtyard at night, which affords a lovely view of the famous illuminated pyramid in the centre. Tres romantique. Of course I'm keen to go back and actually venture into the museum.

just a quick note for any of you thinking of visiting Paris in the week or two, Versailles is currently doing their Grandes Eaux Nocturnes- allowing the gardens and fountains behind the chateau to be open until 11 on Saturday night, with music and other artists performing while the fountains are running. Sunset has been happening after 10, so it's quite lovely.

Grandes Eaux Nocturnes

post-715-1153140406_thumb.jpg

best view of Paris is from the Montparnasse Tower... you get the Eiffel in your pics too - rather than the uglyblack thing :)

dont forget Grand Arche, more fab views of the city!

Ok, anyone else has some other hidden places, interesting bars or something not touristy to share?

I would like to go to some other places different from the usual attractions. I've been to all the major and not so major sites in the city and don't want to spend another visit seeing the same things.

@BG, read the post above!!

forget about sacre-coeur, as nice as it is, i dont think there ever is anyone who actually comes from france,

the thing to do if you want to economise (and trust me with the prices for drinks in paris you have to do so) is to buy something to drink/eat and go to either pont des arts (just south of the louvre, it's a pedestrian bridge over the seine), the western point of ile de la cité (the island on which Notre-Dame is located) or Bir-Hakîm (the metro station near the Tour d'Eiffel), each of these places on the weekend is full of people picknicking out in the open, some tourists, some 'local' foreigners, but a good portion of young parisiens as well,

also if you want to go out check out the rue mouftard (not quite sure about the spelling) which is just north of the Pantheon and unlike the Quartier Latin this area actually has some flair to it,

last but not least, near the Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand (in the South-Eastern corner of Paris) and right on the Seine, there are a couple of 'party'-boats, basically just clubs that are situated on boats, pretty good parties there and not that expensive (considering paris prices that is),

and regarding transportation if you are looking for really cheap, check www.mitfahrzentrale.de

for the more dark side a visit to the cemetery Pére Lachaise is a good option its a sort of whos who of dead french and a few notable non french Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde...

Ok, anyone else has some other hidden places, interesting bars or something not touristy to share?

I would like to go to some other places different from the usual attractions. I've been to all the major and not so major sites in the city and don't want to spend another visit seeing the same things.

Go to:

The Whitney

39, rue Monsieur le Prince

75006 Paris

The brief tap list probably would not merit a mention except that the Whitney is next door to the very popular Polidor restaurant. Unless you arrive before 7:00 pm or after 10:00 pm there is a good chance that you will have to wait for a table and this might be a useful waiting room.

This is a rugby pub behind the Jardin de Luxembourg (if I recall correctly), beautiful art déco doorway, nice landlord.

Panama - what are some of the minor attractions that you've seen? are you a museum person or not so much? One I've been meaning to hit, but still haven't is the Musee Jacquemart-Andre. The Musee Marmottan is also *somewhat* off the beaten trail, as is the European Photography Museum.

No way I'm posting favorite bars here. :D

Officially a Parisian expat now, these are things that I like:

Mariage Frères Tea room and shops http://www.mariagefreres.com/

Chocolate Tours http://davidlebovitz.com/tours.html

Flea Markets http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/S28602.html

Galleries LaFayette http://www.galerieslafayette.com/international/index.do

Street Markets http://www.paris-anglo.com/dedent/dedent.p...rkets/index.php

Fromage! et Fromageries http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris...mageries4.shtml

Cooking courses with a friend http://www.paris-anglo.com/dedent/dedent.p...schools/100.php

I have visited running sushi restaurants in 5 European countries. The best (based on restaurants I have eaten at) so far is Matsuri in France. I recommend taking an afternoon stoll down rue de Passy starting at the La Muette metro station. You can find great shops all along rue de Passy, stop for a noisette at one of the many cafés and then end the day at Matsuri, 2 rue de Passy 75016 Paris.

Hi, everyone. I am planning a first-time trip to Paris around February 2008. I have read so much on the net and would like some honest to goodness recommendations...how many days should I stay...where...which tours to take...private or?

I want to stay in the heart of the city...love to sight-see, eat fine food, take in live theatre, can-can etc. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Also, what is the weather like there first part of the year?

Thanks a lot,

Anya

Topics merged by admin

Whatever you do. Get to the Eiffel tower EARLY - unless you want to wait in line.

Don't be in any rush to get out of restaurants. The waiters will bring you the bill when they are damn ready.

No need to do a private tour within Paris. Buy a good travel book and you can map your sightseeing sessions yourself. I like EYEWITNESS travel books. Its what I used when I went to Paris with my sis. We spent 4 days there, we got to see almost everything. 6-7 would have been better, especially because you can spend more than one day at the Louvre.

Wow, you guys are so quick to reply. I really appreciate your input. Any recommendations on hotels? I am not on a tight budget, don't want to scrimp when it is my first time. What about the language and the time of year?

Thanks again,

Anya

get a museum pass for Paris, then you don't have to wait in lines to get museum tickets at places like the Louvre and Musee D'orsay and then you can enter museums that you might not have seen due to entrance fees.

Hi, I meant what is the weather like that time of year and how extensive should my knowledge of French be?