Visiting Paris, France

114 posts in this topic

We are visiting paris for 4days, and what are the must see places. I had gone through net about the various tours, and places to see but I couldn't decide what are the must see places. Which tours are worthy a penny to see. What is the cheapest way to get around paris. Input is appreciated. Thanks!!

The first step to enjoy would be by not being 'Worried' :P .

I was in Paris for 3 days last year, the places I found worth visiting was the downtown paris where you have the Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysées, the Eiffel tower ( The view from the top is cool), I liked the walk besides the river, a cool cemetery somewhere north in Paris where Jim Morrison is buried, if U like musems then u can spend months there...Louvre is a cool museum uhmmm, , Les Invalides ( I liked the museum), Notre dam, Les Invalides ( a golden dome)..all buildings in the downtown look like they are museums.

On the downside, the city was flooded with tourists which I find suffocating.

If your on the budget then then there are several place to see like Rahul mentioned for free. You can get a train ticket especially for tourists which gives you unlimited travel around paris and also contains discount vouchers. You can go for the bus tour which will take you to the main sites in paris.

I hope this helps :D

if possible then buy a musuem card, it gets you into almost all the museums, so you get into the museums faster as you don't have to line to pay, and then line to enter - really good at the Louve, Musee D'Orangarie and Musee D'Orsay. Its like line jumping, and then if you don't spend hours in there you don't feel guilty as you paid an obsecene amount to get in. Then some of the small museums are included and really nice too.

I love Monet- so Paris is one of my fav places to go. Can sit for hours in Musee D'Orangarie (by the Lourve and Gardens) and stare at the WaterLilies! It has this super calming effect on me.

I also like the Artist area by the Sacre Cour on the hill. But don't eat around there, its overpriced.

Sex shops on PigAlle are interesting... :unsure:

Depending on how fit you are and your skill level (both need to be at least average) there is an interesting alternative to sight seeing in Paris. Tours are organised for roller blading during the evening and it takes in all the main central sights. Friday nights has become hugely popular and has reached almost a cult status http://www.pari-roller.com/?lang=en

However there are other groups offering similar, for times other than Friday nights

Sacre Coeur for the best view...quite nice up there. Also Montmartre just to wander around and sit and have a nice coffee or drink. I think the Eiffel Tower is a must...it's pretty cool and also check it out at night. Louvre is pretty cool too.

Rahul is right...forget the name but the cemetery is really quite a thing to see.

Walking (which is really a nice way to see the city) and using the Metro is the cheapest way to get around. They have special combo or weekend tickets you can get.

I went for a mini break there and loved it. You will never see everything in that amount of time but just soaking up the atmosphere is fantastic. I agree with everything written here..

If you want to do something really touristy, then a Can Can (sp?) show at the Moulan Rouge is a must. It includes dinner and a couple of drinks.

I went on an Easter weekend and it was surprisingly uncrowded. Wandering through the street weekend markets is a must imho.

We didn't go in any museums because the queues were quite substantial for the Louvre etc. We walked a lot as the weather was fantastic but the train ticket is also a must to get.

I recommend going off the beaten track into a bar, only meant for locals. We accidentally ended up in one of these and the bar tender was really friendly ( we tried to speak french and he replied, "you aren't from here, are you?" He pulled up a pew and tried to chat with us, which was nice. His English was only marginally better than our French (crap) but with hands and feet etc we communicated really well in the end. We were the only people in the bar but then some locals came in and talked to us, too. The barman kept buying us drinks and we were totally wasted by the end of the night (and missed our dinner at the restaurant we'd booked), but I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world.

Paris is a beautiful city, one of my favourites. Have fun! :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, the Eifle Tower sparkles for about 10 minutes after 10pm on the hour, I think. That is beautiful. That's what they did for Millennium but by popular demand they had to continue it..

If you want a really good view of the Eiffel Tower go to Monpanasse Tower which is higher. YOu can go on the top of the roof too which stunning viewings. A bit gusty though.

I really liked the Rodin Museum. It's in the house Rodin did his work. It gave me a bit of a start to find "The Thinker" casually sitting out in the garden.

Napolean's tomb was kind of interesting too -- way over the top. You'd think some kind of god was entombed there.

The cemetery with Jim Morrison is Cimetière Père Lachaise. It has lots of very nicely decorated and famous thumbs. In central Paris just go all the way along the Sena river and around. There you'll finde the obelisque, the louvre, Notre Damme, Trocadero, le quartier latin just to mention some. Go to Montmartre and Cacre Couer, great view of the city. Don't get scared by the "bars" on the surroundings. Go up in the Eiffel tower, it may take some time due to long queues, but it's definitely worthed. Museums, the Louvre is a must, even if you are not the "cultural" type, it's breathtaking. The only problem is that you need some time in there. But you could get a "quicky" and see the highlights inside, Monalisa included.

Walk a lot, it's a great city and you may find wonderful things anywhere.

Enjoy!!

A boat trip along the Seine was fantastique :)

It was cool to see the buildings from another side/perspective.

I go to Paris on and off - well fairly on. Going week after next again. But i don't get to see too much.

Don't judge it by CDG. Nor the smell on the metro. And don't be Worried. Paris could be scary - but you'd be wrong, it's "willage" Munich that's scary. If you're taking the bus in from CDG, once you hit the peripherique, watch out for Sacre Coeur rising on the left and on the right you may see Paris's very own shanty town. Many will dispute this (especially natives), but dear old Paris takes the biscuit for beauty and destitution in one go.

But don't get worried, it's really nice once you get inside the peripherique.

Anyway here's a few things i like about Paris (no, not her) in no particular order:

- you don't need a guide, the city is one big amusement park

- musee d'orsay or anywhere along the Seine (the city embraces its river)

- jardin des tuileries (beats mine)

- metro (feel the crush on #13, compared to Munich's abstand halten)

- the shopping (even if only lafayette etc.)

- bibliotheque mitterand (is batofar still there?)

- promenade plantee (urban garden)

- rue Oberkampf (for later)

- place des vosges (now that's living)

- batignolles (17 arrondisement)

- st germain (cafe)

- place vendome (for the big wallet)

- les passages (if it rains)

- rooftops (don't quite get those in Munich)

- and #14, metro line 14 (no driver, scary!)

(enough, already)

Top Tip: don't just go once, go again, and again. It's a real city. And if you don't manage any museums in 4 days, well done. You've saved them for the next visit(s).

:=)

Inspired by my upcoming trip and jml's Cafe Marley suggestion on another thread - anybody have any new Parisian hotspots they'd like to add? I myself have got an extremely limited timespan for my trip and don't plan to hit any museums, so any recommendations on cafés, restaurants, etc. would be excellent.

Oh and the very top of the Eiffel is overrated. Not worth the bother unless you just like to say you've been to the top that is...

sip a nice coffee or hot chocolate by the Sacre Cour (spelling?) church, there is an area where the artists sit and paint or draw all day long, you can even purchase their works. I like the busyness of the square there, and seeing all the artistic people being creative. Most of the cafes also serve some toasted sandwiches, an nice light snack.

Have a great weekend.

Climb to the top of Notre Dame. Worth the wait in line as you have gorgeous views of the city, including the Eiffel Tower.

Wander around the Marais district - great patisseries, the Place des Vosges, wonderful little cafes.

I'd avoid any of the Irish pubs listed at the bottom of this page. Normally I'd recommend the Green Linnet for a pub when it all gets too much. Unfortunately you will be there when France vs. England in the rugby.

Unless you actually want to watch the rugby (and all that goes with it), then it is a non.

As for shops, mythical sources always send me to the Gap on Champs-Elysées. Why? Best service in a jeans shop ever. You say what you want, they bring you every style they have in your size and arrange them in the fitting room hanging from left to right in order of appropriateness. Perfect.

APC, Agnès b and Comptoir des cotonniers have excellent basic clothes and are worth a pit stop.

Le Mouton à Cinq Pattes for designer bargains Their site in English

New Marc Jacobs shop - scroll up that page for Time Out's info about stuff on this week

Time Out Paris (PDF) free guide

Having said all this, I usually spend my time buying groceries and cosmetics in any supermarket that is open. Butter, Foie Gras and shampoo mostly.

...and don't plan to hit any museums...

how sad really. paris is infamous for it's museums. even the picasso one is doable in an hour. worth just looking at his sculptures.

having done paris only once, but with hope to get back sooner rather than later, i can recommend you bring your wallet filled with cash. it was one of the most expensive places i have ever been.

if i get home in time, i can upload a pic of a place for a great, worker-style, fair-priced meal, but the name escapes me. i just remember it reminded me of some old-style restaurant with old streetpost-type lights, lots of dark wood, mirrors, 2 floors. a local parisian tipped me off about it.

@ Elfenstar

I know, it's a pity about the museums - but really, my time in Paris is so limited, and given my way of making my way through art museums... I could literally spend days wandering through the Louvre. I figure they're not going anywhere, so I'll save them for the next time I'm in the city. Which will hopefully be sooner rather than later... group trip, maybe? TT Does Paris? ;)

By way of expressing my gratitude for all the wonderful suggestions, I wanted to add my own .02, post-Paris. Since most of my "sights and activities" involved eating and drinking, here are two restaurants to check out.

Restaurant Georges

19, rue Beaubourg

Centre Pompidou

Located on the sixth floor of the Pompidou Centre, this restaurant offers an absolutely breathtaking view of the city of Paris coupled with an unfailingly chic atmosphere. A very memorable scene from the Merchant-Ivory flick Le Divorce was filmed here, and with good cause - I literally have never seen such a view in my entire life. The Armani-suited waiters all looked as though they'd been plucked directly off the catwalk and deposited, silver trays in hand, to serve us. My companion and I spent a large portion of Friday afternoon seated here, enjoying the posh surroundings, surprisingly polite service and a bottle of Cote du Rhone. Even if you choose not to dine here, I highly recommend making the journey to the top of the Pompidou Centre anyhow. The view alone is worth it.

Comptoir

37, rue Berger

Serving a mix of Moroccan-French cuisine, Comptoir's staff were again polite (although no one spoke a word of English - this was the only place we visited in which we actually had to use our pidgin French), the food was sublime, the Red Apple cocktail was maybe the best I've ever had in my life, and the cosy cushioned seating and candlelit atmosphere were very conducive to romance - judging by the French couple seated next to each other who literally devoured one another.