School bullying question

172 posts in this topic

You must confront the bullies. You must tell them that the behaviour of these kids is not going to be tolerated anymore. You must frighten these kids that are bullying your child. You can do it. All the best to you

My daughter was also bullied. Sometimes in front of the teachers as well who did nothing to diffuse the situation. We had a chat about how she dealt with the situation and also to boost her self confidence to stand up to the bullies. There was a situation where violence occured and in this instance we went to the head teacher to sort it out. The class teacher was reluctant to help so we had to go to the head teacher to sort the situation out in the end.

I have a black belt in karate and used to teach it back in college. I still call bullsh*t on your account.

Maybe you should consider Judo or Aikido then as they are more centered around those kind of leverage principles. Even in Karate, there was a session we were practicing kicks with someone holding a pad. I was holding the pad and a stronger black belt guy landed a standard karate front-kick that lifted me and made me hop back - I would hit the wall if I was close to it.

Really I think you should be aware that it is not hard (particularly if you are stronger / larger) to send someone back against a wall with a well positioned strong kick. I agree there is some exaggeration in describing it as flying though - maybe Woody from Toy Story would have put it as "That wasn't flying! That was... falling with(out) style!"

Ivo.

Maybe you should consider Judo or Aikido then as they are more centered around those kind of leverage principles.

I also have my 4th kyu (blue belt) in Jiu-Jitsu and I am currently training for my 3rd kyu (brown belt in Aikido) so I think I know what I am talking about.

She wasn't even there herself so she is either tellling it as her son described it or she is adding her own descriptive elements to make it sound more exciting.

I also have my 4th kyu (blue belt) in Jiu-Jitsu and I am currently training for my 3rd kyu (brown belt in Aikido) so I think I know what I am talking about.

She wasn't even there herself so she is either tellling it as her son described it or she is adding her own descriptive elements to make it sound more exciting.

I think it is not a question of her knowing what she is talking about or you knowing what you are talking about, but a semantics issue with her description. I think it is obviously not the case that the kid was actually "flying" in the literal sense of the word.

Conversely, no matter how much of a martial experts you are, you are wrong if you say that it is impossible for a larger kid to send a smaller kid reeling against a wall. I think it is fair to say the appeal of many martial arts is that someone physically weaker can throw someone stronger if they know how to do it, so why are you so adamantly against that someone stronger could do just that without refined technique?

I related to you my own experience where a non-roundhouse kick made me hop in the air, I'm an adult, and I don't see why I would be making that up to make it sound exciting. It was a training session with adequate protections so surely it is boring enough to be a valid example, if that is what counts...

My statement is as follows:

If you are strong, it is possible to send someone relatively light against a nearby wall with a kick - and it isn't even that hard.

What part of that do you disagree with (if any)?

Ivo.

I think it is obviously not the case that the kid was actually "flying" in the literal sense of the word.

She seems to think it was...

hit the little boy sending him flying through the air to fall against the wall.

lifted off their feet and propelled several feet in the air

It's probably similar to how many Americans use the word "yelled" when they really mean "spoke in a louder than normal voice".

Edit: This just in...video evidence of the incident in question.

I never said it was impossible to punch or kick somebody and cause them to fall backwards against a wall. Please show me where I say it is. I am saying that her account, which you can see below and which she claims happened as described, is highly unlikely. The bold is my addition to highlight the areas where I think she got carried away.

Instantly, the much larger and most violent boy in the class rushed over and hit the little boy sending him flying through the air to fall against the wall. The little kid picked up the trash can which was at hand and tried to hit the big boy back. The big boy deflected the trash can and sent a really hard, roundhouse kick into the little boys ribs, again lifting him airborne to land with a crunch against the wall. This all happened in a few seconds.

To those who think this was an exaggeration or a made-up story: You do not know my son or me. This event happened as described and is not a joking matter.

A strong punch or kick that is hooking up can easily lift someone and throw them against a nearby wall.

Now maybe she didn't mention that the kids were world champion muay thai fighters or whatever but the force required to physically lift someone off the ground with a kick or a punch and send them flying through the air and crash into a wall is huge.

My statement is as follows:

If you are strong, it is possible to send someone relatively light against a nearby wall with a kick - and it isn't even that hard.

What part of that do you disagree with (if any)?

Ivo.

So seeing as you are a martial arts expert then maybe you can try something for me. Her son, she says is about 40kg. so lets say the little kid is 35kg or so. That is nearly twice check in weight for a single piece of luggage on most airlines. 2 suitcases or rucksacks together.

Could you lift that? Yeah, probably not a problem. Could you throw it? again, probaly a little bit and maybe if you know how a bit further than normal.

Could you lift it off the ground with a punch and sending flying against a wall? Not f*cking likely. But feel free to try.

Also taking into account that the person sending the 35kg kid flying through the air is also a kid and probaly weighs close on 40 kg as well, then for you to get a better comparison you could try and send a rucksack weighing close to your own weight flying through the air with a single punch.

She seems to think it was...

It's probably similar to how many Americans use the word "yelled" when they really mean "spoke in a louder than normal voice".

Edit: This just in...video evidence of the incident in question.

I've been looking for that video for ages (seriously).

Thanks!

So seeing as you are a martial arts expert then maybe you can try something for me. Her son, she says is about 40kg. so lets say the little kid is 35kg or so. That is nearly twice check in weight for a single piece of luggage on most airlines. 2 suitcases or rucksacks together.

Could you lift that? Yeah, probably not a problem. Could you throw it? again, probaly a little bit and maybe if you know how a bit further than normal.

Could you lift it off the ground with a punch and sending flying against a wall? Not f*cking likely. But feel free to try.

Also taking into account that the person sending the 35kg kid flying through the air is also a kid and probaly weighs close on 40 kg as well, then for you to get a better comparison you could try and send a rucksack weighing close to your own weight flying through the air with a single punch.

First, I'm not claiming to be a martial arts expert, and if I misinterpreted anything you said it wasn't intentional.

Second, the larger kid that hit the smaller kid probably did a running punch or even a tackle rather than a standing punch from the description, so he had momentum. The other instance was explicitly a spinning kick, not a punch.

Third, I am relatively light and certainly lighter than the guy that sent me a few feet back with his kick, but he wasn't also exactly a huge body builder or anything like that and he managed (and I was holding a thick protection, making me heavier).

Finally, in your comparison with the luggage I think you are missing important points, like center of gravity and distribution of the mass. So I think it is easier to imagine "punching" the luggage backwards if you have it hovering so that its center of mass is at the appropriate height. Then would it not travel backward a bit before hitting the ground?

I must say though that I like your comparison as I also think the only way these individuals are really flying involves airlines :)

I don't find it that hard to imagine running forward with momentum, punching someone on the stomach hard and, as they fall downwards they could travel backward without touching the feet on the floor for a bit if they curl up (therefore lifting the legs relative to the torso). But maybe I play too many videogames!

international-karate-20090225082127484.j

Anyway this isn't really the point. I agreed before that they aren't really flying.

Ivo.

I hate to drag this thread back on topic and away from the enlightening discussion of martial arts and flying bodies...

This documentary film has been recently making the festival rounds and has been receiving great reviews. Unfortunately the MPAA, in its ultimate wisdom, has saddled it with an "R" rating due to three instances of the word "fuck" being used, thus making it extremely difficult for the target audience to see. Anyway, here is the trailer. From what I have read, it should be mandatory watching in schools. it does seem a bit "American" to me, based on the trailer, but this is a universal problem and I'm sure it would be applicable in any country.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question - it's connected to school bullying...

My 11 year old daughter has received two unsolicited catalogues and phone calls. The catalogue is from Bon Prix, and the phone call was I think from an estate agent, although unfortunately I didn't really take the details in properly as I wasn't expecting the call.

Now, to my knowledge, and my daughter's knowledge she has never requested the catalogue, and I have no idea why an estate agent would be calling her. I don't know how her details have suddenly got into the public domain as I can think of no one other than the local church - with whom we were registered by the town, and the school have this information. Unless it is someone having a laugh at her expense - all her classmates do have our address and phone number.

The reason that this is important to me is that we have just discovered that someone send another girl in her class an unpleasant note pretending to be her - fortunately, although it was signed with her name, the handwriting was very different. The note was written on a school residential trip, and the school are involved in trying to identify the author. The note has really distressed my daughter, and the school have been great. But I need to try and find out whether these catalogues/calls etc are part of the same silly behaviour or just a weird coincidence.

So I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how an 11 year old's details could innocently get on to mailing lists or if I should be thinking there is more to it than that.

Many thanks!