Ikea return policy

50 posts in this topic

Their policy states that unopened goods in the original package can be returned...

But what if you opened and assembled something, put the cartons in the recycling bins, and it's already broken? Will they take it back then?

I have the receipt, less than a week old, and a broken chair. Can I take it back or should I get some glue?

I'd take it back - it shouldn't break after one week - presuming you've put it together correctly...

Perhaps call their customer service line/look online to see if there's any info there?

they will take it back.

i've taken back things I've used for months and decided don't like - cash refund. I've taken back a mattress after 6 years and been given a new one...

I take my entire IKEA living room back to IKEA every five years and they replace the whole thing for free with the newest furniture

All joking aside, we did bring back a couple of fairly expensive (by IKEA standards) area rugs after we lost ~25% of the wool to our vacuum cleaner. We had been using them for about a month so I was a little surprised when the IKEA person immediately apologized and handed us an IKEA card with the exact amount we had paid on credit (no cash refunds). I thought for sure that we would have to fight for it. So yes, they will take back items that have been used but only if defective.

Safest bet would be to call first and explain what happened.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I did see their policy online, but it specifies the item be in original packaging. And we don't have that anymore, but we do have a cracked chair. I didn't see anything about returning defective items.

Now I just need to suck it up and call them to check, right? This is an opportunity for practicing my German, I keep telling myself...

seriously, just take it back - they ain't gonna argue with you if you want a replacement of the same chair. Just take the receipt.

Germany has pretty strict warrenty laws. Box or not, if it is broken it is under warrenty. They will replace it at least.

You can even take back worn shoes for up to 2 years in germany according to my mother in law. She never buys bil new shoes, just swaps them out since he wears them out before the warranty is up. :blink:

Their policy states that unopened goods in the original package can be returned...

But what if you opened and assembled something, put the cartons in the recycling bins, and it's already broken? Will they take it back then?

I have the receipt, less than a week old, and a broken chair. Can I take it back or should I get some glue?

Take it back. The orginal apckage condition ois only for stuff you dont like and you cna give that abck no questions asked. If its broken, you can just pile it up and dump it on their floor. We had done of the big Expedit room divider units 3/4 built before we found out severla shelves were drilled wrong, the damn thingw as huge and heavy and we just broke it down (literally) and took them the pieces. No problem.

Thanks for the replies. I did see their policy online, but it specifies the item be in original packaging. And we don't have that anymore, but we do have a cracked chair. I didn't see anything about returning defective items.

I once brought back a completely assembled, 200cm x 140cm futon bed frame with the mattress because I had a backache after sleeping on it for just a few nights. Perhaps I still had the plastic wrap for the mattress, but the bed frame box was long gone. They used to put things like that into their Fundgrube at slashed prices.

I know this is old topic, but I bought a table from IKEA in Heerlen Holland and of course it is of very poor quality, was also cheapest you can get, but what annoys me most is that one leg seems to be shorter than the other by around 1 cm . I will try to adjust it somehow but I am pretty sure I assembled the thing correctly.

I have receipt and box, do you thing I should disassemble the top of the table to pieces like it came, or just get the legs off and bring it like this to them?

Thanks and waiting for an answer.

I have found Ikea to have great return/refund policy. How many keep the plastic or box after assembling?! That never seems to matter. If it is just one leg of table, why not go back with that leg, but take another to check length of replacement?

On 14.08.2014 Ikea intruduced the new return policy. As long you can provide the receipt (Kassenbon) you have a lifelong right to return furniture. They can be unpacked and used.

http://www1.wdr.de/themen/wirtschaft/ikea-rueckgaberecht100.html

IKEA Munich have just managed to mess up a delivery - big time. I've got to hire a van and fetch the stuff from their "Logistics Partner" myself if I want my furniture. As well as getting their EUR 150 "delivery" charge refunded, I'd like to stick them with a bill for my time and costs. Is there anything in German law to stop me from slapping them with an invoice?

Just returned some stuff to IKEA Heerlen in NL.

The give you 100% value for unopened items and 70% for assembled items .