Good psychologist / psychotherapist in Frankfurt

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

Since we moved to Frankfurt, my wife and I are having a bit of a crisis. Can anybody recommend a good psychologist for couples therapy?

Thank you very much!

Will

I have been having some problems the last few months and I have noticed that things are gradually getting worse. My head doesn't always work right these days. I am having trouble understanding instructions, carrying out simple tasks, retaining information. A lot of the times someone will tell me something and it's in one ear and out the other. So I keep asking the same things over and over again, only to the annoyance of everybody.

Just today I got mixed up by the words 'in front of' and 'behind'. I got the two mixed up and I was trying to convince my coworkers that I was right. They all looked at me as if I was stupid. I only later realized that I was wrong.

I think I am having some memory problems or some sort of early onset dementia. I am in my early 30s. I was always a bit "slow" but I feel like things have gotten worse especially in the last few months.

It is affecting my work, my sleep and life in general.

Is there someone in the Frankfurt area who I can talk to about this? Some test I can take to see what the problem is.

I am university educated, so I am not a complete dummy. Just want to find out if there is something wrong with me "inside" or is it just lack of concentration or something that I can control/correct.

Lyreco,

No psychologist here but your case does not sound like the onset of dementia, but parts of your brain may not be functioning as they should be. This could be because of stress or because of your diet or because of some other external reason. While I can't refer you to any psychologist, I can only advise you to read the following book. Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance

I am , unfortunately, not a fan of psychologists. Working in the prison system, I'm virtually surrounded by them, making up excuses for the toads' behavoural problems.

I served in Northern Ireland, a long, long time ago, and do have recurring problems. No psychologist has ever managed to help me, and as far as I'm concerned, no one can help me, unless they themselves have been shot at, shot at people or survived several bomb incidents. I also have uncomfortable feelings in, or near, crowded areas. The after effects of riot control.

The first thing to do, is have a good vacation (if you're from over the pond) or holiday (if you're from God's own country!).

Then, suitably refreshed, have an earnest look at the problem, especially from a different angle, and see what you can do. Works for me.

Hi,

It's Cynthia here from the PsyShrink Psychology Practice. We moved our practice to downtown Frankfurt and are no longer in Bad Homburg. You can find the directions to our new practice on our website: PsyShrink Frankfurt.

Warm wishes,

Cynthia

*bump* on this thread.

The Techniker Krankenkasse website no longer has "language" as a search function in its list of doctors.

I am looking for an English speaking counselor or psychologist in the Frankfurt area who takes "gesetzliche Krankenversicherung" (I have Techniker Krankenkasse). Based on the website, it looks like Psyshrink (who posted above) does not take this insurance.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for those who may take my insurance?

Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't take public insurance and I'm uncertain of any English speaking therapists in Frankfurt who are able to. If you need your insurance to cover services, it is best to check with them directly and see if they have a list of English speaking providers that they work with. It is important to know that your insurance will require a psychological diagnosis which will become part of your medical file. You may want to consider looking at the list of English speaking doctors in the Frankfurt area--maybe it might prove helpful.

Warm wishes,

Cynthia

The Techniker Krankenkasse website no longer has "language" as a search function in its list of doctors.

You can use arztsuchehessen.de instead. Click the "Erweiterte Suche" button and you'll see a drop-down box for "Fremdsprache".

Fascinating.

I've also had bad experiences with people advertising their services on this board. To date I haven't gotten around to posting my experiences; I was hesitating because all the other reviews members had posted were, without exception, extremely positive. I am beginning to have suspicions about why this is the case… :(

Fascinating.

What is so fascinating about that?? That's the way it works!! The Toytown people have to make money, too! I know somebody who works for Amazon and he told me that they suspect that about 30% of user reviews on their site are fake. But it cuts both sites: Corporations praising their products and the competition slandering them. Why should it be different here?? And, who can be trusted??

In the end, it is always best to go with a recommendation that you get from someone you know. If that isn't possible, look at the qualifications of your psychologist, ask for an initial consultation and try to get a 'feel' if it could be a fit. A good therapist wouldn't charge for that either. If all that doesn't work - don't worry! You are not married to your therapist, just find a new one! Finding a good therapist can be like the search for the holy grail... :lol:

What is so fascinating about that?? That's the way it works!! The Toytown people have to make money, too!

I expect the website would attract and keep more visitors, and therefore make more advertising revenue, if people didn't think they were suppressing legitimate warnings and criticism of products and services. Amazon may contain a lot of fake reviews, but I don't think they actively remove all negative ones on behalf of the suppliers and advertisers.

Well, when I first came here there was a therapist named Dr. Sierra-Averritt. I hope I spelt it right. She is in Frankfurt Höchst and is from the states.

I hope this helps.

I am middle aged man and have been depressed much of my life. I can track back my fears and anxiety to my childhood abuse and a series of traumatic experiences i had to go through last few years.Its seems now i cant cope on my own and the memory is intensive, and the impulse to take action and change is strong that I dont want to think about soemthing else 24/7.I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a good English speaking psychotherapist in Frankfurt.Thanks.

Does anyone have any current recommendations for English-speaking marriage counselors in Frankfurt? I have found names online but am hoping to hear about personal recommendations.