Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for an online MBA degree scholarship

27 posts in this topic

Bavaria, the only state that will keep demanding tuition (once Baden-Württemberg drops it next year, NRW this year), currently does not have an upper tuition cap for weiterbildende Studiengänge (ie. here MBA), although there's a proposal to cap it at €2000/semester at state universities. Universities in Bavaria are currently completely free to apply tuition for such courses in various models, including e.g. higher fees for non-Germans.

Interesting. Don't you mean for non-EUers, not non-Germans?

Why does Fern Uni still have tuition?

Tuition is the same for all students at German universities, right? The fact the OP is from Azerbaijan is thus irrelevant to that issue.

..especially as the OP wants to do it online.

Interesting. Don't you mean for non-EUers, not non-Germans?

No, non-Germans. The Bavarian university law says for Weiterbildende Studiengänge that "the amount of fees is to be calculated based upon the cost to the university and the importance of the offered education to the student" (...und der Bedeutung der Leistung für den Studierenden). That of course allows a ton of legal wiggle room to - in theory - even make individual fees possible.

I've seen differentiations based upon having a foreign tertiary degree, although it slipped my mind where. Possibly Coburg. ;)

Why does Fern Uni still have tuition?

Hagen? They're nominally not tuition, they're "Materialbezugsgebühren", i.e. flat shipping costs for materials you get from them for studying (whatever those are).

I'll have to go back and look at the exact wording they used, but I am going to do an MS in Mathematics with them and, IIRC, there was a statement that the course cost a total of 800 euros. It may well be exactly what you say, kato.

EDIT: they use the terms "Kursgebühren" and "Studierendenschaftsbeitrag". I guess the course fees could be assumed to cover materials costs that wouldn't be found at brick & mortar unis. At any rate, 800 euros for a master's degree is a great bargain.

The Studierendenschaftsbeitrag is the flat tax you pay to your student assembly (decided by them), and won't go to the university. At other universities this is included into the fee set with Semesterticket etc.

For the Kursgebühren there's a line on their website: Um die Kosten für Betreuung, Druck und Versand der Kurse zu decken, erheben wir von unseren Studierenden eine Kursgebühr. That's the "Materialbezugsgebühren".

Hi All,

Does that mean that better MBA providers are UK-based. So, as I see now, there is no opportunity to get an online MBA scholarship?

Does that mean that better MBA providers are UK-based. So, as I see now, there is no opportunity to get an online MBA scholarship?

It means that many MBAs offered in Germany are UK based. There are good ones and not so good ones. Check the number of certification bodies that have certified the course. In total there are three or four of them and a good course will be certified by all of them. The oU is, for instance. If you want to do it online anyway, why go through a middleman?

I woudlnt say there is "No opportunity" for a scholarship (the OU US is offering online schloarships, but in the US) but its so unlikely its not worth factoring in to your decision.

An Online MBA is going to cost you somewhere between 10 and 20k. In Germany you can claim around 30-40% of that back on tax. No idea what the situation is where you live. Only you can say if its worth it to you.