How strict is Ryanair with onboard luggage size?

67 posts in this topic

 

You brought a baby onto pikeyair? blink.gif

 

Did they charge a surcharge?

 

Luckily most babies fit well within the hand luggage weight and dimensions allowance.

 

You have to be careful though as they tend to move around in the overhead lockers during the flight and can easily fall out when the lockers are opened.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I fly quite often with ryanair too and it depends on the airport and the day, you can't really predict it. They are strict but only some weigh the luggage, others just ask you to prove it fits in the cage thing. At Düsseldorf Weeze I've had times (always with the same hand luggage case) when they've done one or the other. At Brussels they did both. At leeds bradford they usually ask me to stick in the cage, at Hahn they weighed it. Can't remember what they did at stansted. Once at brussels mine weighed 10.1 and they let me through but i then saw someone with 10.2 and they had to pay. Some of the staff only ask certain people to weigh/size check their cases if they look particularly big. So in other words, you're taking a gamble. I reckon, as long as your bag is under 10 and fits in the cage (even if you have to turn it on it's side) you'd probably be ok. BUT please don't take my word for it, like I said it's unpredictable.

 

As annoying as those announcements are on the plane, I do find ryanair brilliant value for money if you're only taking handluggage. For me, the worst part about flying is the waiting so I love how speedy everything is with ryanair. For my last two flights I've landed half an hour early. And even with the transport to and from the airport it still usually works out cheaper than other airlines. I once got a return for two people from Frankfurt Hahn to Kerry for 35 euros. You can't beat that!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea that's the thing... being faster actually makes things cheaper for the airline. It's really in everyone's interest.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Ryanair *grr*

 

we were 2.5kg over our limit recently flying back from Spain, wanted to offload some luggage into our hand luggage (had a few pairs of heavy shoes in the outside pocket of the suitcase) would've taken about 2 minutes but the po-faced hoity toity slag behind the counter said we would have to go to the end of the heeeeeeeeeeeuge queue and queue up again and we would miss our flight. of course this was the only gate open (t'was 6am in Alicante).

 

so the 2.5kg was rounded up to 3kg and we were charged 60€ for excess baggage.

 

they are very strict, have heard from a lot of other folk similar stories too.

 

I understand from your post that you were happy enough to pay 60 Eur to avoid going to the back of the queue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

www.chaquetaryanair.es

 

What about this? It'll solve all your problems!

 

until they start pricing tickets by the kilogram. though I guess it'd end the bank-like model of making a profit by charging surprise fees (since euro*kilogram would actually be very straightforward).

 

Regardless its time to end the socialism in the skies, small people shouldn't have to subsidize the jet fuel of the bigger folks. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Many years ago we invested in one of these ;weighs nothing,

 

I bought one in Aldi last year. They are great and cheaper than the one you showed .. hahaha I have just noticed, your ones are fish scales. (*scuse pun)

 

Anyway if you can wait, or make do with a bathroom scales, until they have them again. I can totally recommend it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd update this thread. Ryanair has been changing its luggage policy back and forth. It's very confusing. Up until recently you got 2 carry-on pieces, but you had to give up one at the gate which they stored for you in the hold.  This was for free, and for all passengers. My daughter did this recently.

 

I was counting on this for my own flight to Dublin on Tuesday. However, when I printed out the boarding pass it said NO. You only get two pieces of luggage if you have booked priority. This costs 6 Euros extra.

 I was relying on the "2 pieces free" update. Too late unfortunately.. So I booked priority for me and my son. 6€ each, not the world especially for a 22€ flight.

 

However, they have improved the hold luggage poliicy. The limit has been raised from 15 to 20 kg, and the price has been lowered from 35 to 25 €.  That's something at least.

 

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-15/ryanair-introduce-new-luggage-rules-on-all-flights/

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they keep this policy.

 

In fact, I've been paying priority just to ensure my hand luggage is with me. I travel with my laptop all the time and I won't allow it to go to the trunk. I've made huge arguments with the crew, told them to first kick out the oversize luggage before sending mine to the trunk. Been threatened to be left on land once, but made such a fuss that they let me in.

 

So now I pay priority, despite not using the priority lane, as I don't like waiting on the tarmac. The only other advantage is that usually the drunk assholes go to the back of the plane, so it is quieter in the front.

 

I hope they either end up with the "free" luggage or limit it to small bags. It is a sad show when people resort to all kind of tricks just to avoid paying for the luggage.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

 

So now I pay priority, despite not using the priority lane, as I don't like waiting on the tarmac.

 

Ah, perhaps you can tell me - if you've paid priority do they still find room in a locker for your cabin bag even if you're one of the last to board the plane? For my next Ryanair flight I've booked priority for the first time and like you I don't intend to join the priority queue. My usual policy is to stay sitting (if I can find a seat) until all the jostling for position is over. But I did wonder if that means the lockers will be full by the time I actually board...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, arunadasi said:

 You only get two pieces of luggage if you have booked priority.

 

 

As I understand it you can still take two pieces of hand luggage even without booking priority, it's just that one of them has to go in the hold. That's what your link says, and that's also what it says on Ryanair's site https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/What-cabin-baggage-can-I-carry

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I hope they keep this policy.

 

In fact, I've been paying priority just to ensure my hand luggage is with me. I travel with my laptop all the time and I won't allow it to go to the trunk. I've made huge arguments with the crew, told them to first kick out the oversize luggage before sending mine to the trunk. Been threatened to be left on land once, but made such a fuss that they let me in.

 

So now I pay priority, despite not using the priority lane, as I don't like waiting on the tarmac. The only other advantage is that usually the drunk assholes go to the back of the plane, so it is quieter in the front.

 

I hope they either end up with the "free" luggage or limit it to small bags. It is a sad show when people resort to all kind of tricks just to avoid paying for the luggage.

 

 

I flew Ryanair last week.

No priority.

2 bags/pieces of luggage. The larger one (10 kg limit, dimensions??) got a yellow stcker and went in the hold. Camera bag and tablet took on board with me.

No extra fees paid.

Random seat allocation.

Drunk arseholes could be anywhere, depending on where they have booked seats for themselves (extra charge), or where the computer puts them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prosie said:

Ah, perhaps you can tell me - if you've paid priority do they still find room in a locker for your cabin bag even if you're one of the last to board the plane? For my next Ryanair flight I've booked priority for the first time and like you I don't intend to join the priority queue. My usual policy is to stay sitting (if I can find a seat) until all the jostling for position is over. But I did wonder if that means the lockers will be full by the time I actually board...

If everybody followed the rules and did not came in with oversized luggage, there would be space for all.

And when they don't have space for me, even better, as I have paid for it, I get to keep it, so it goes with me under my legs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Aussiedog said:

Drunk arseholes could be anywhere, depending on where they have booked seats for themselves (extra charge), or where the computer puts them.

From my experience flying with Ryanair and Easyjet, the drunk assholes concentrate on the back.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prosie said:

Ah, perhaps you can tell me - if you've paid priority do they still find room in a locker for your cabin bag even if you're one of the last to board the plane? For my next Ryanair flight I've booked priority for the first time and like you I don't intend to join the priority queue. My usual policy is to stay sitting (if I can find a seat) until all the jostling for position is over. But I did wonder if that means the lockers will be full by the time I actually board...

 

Now that they take the bags (and put them in the hold) of all (?) the passengers that haven't paid for priority , there is plenty of room in the overhead lockers for the bags of those who have, and for everybody's coats etc.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Aussiedog said:

 

Now that they take the bags (and put them in the hold) of all (?) the passengers that haven't paid for priority , there is plenty of room in the overhead lockers for the bags of those who have, and for everybody's coats etc.

OK, good to know thanks. Though for me it wouldn't be the end of the world if my cabin bag went in the hold - I know I'd prefer that to having it take up my legroom! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

 

From my experience flying with Ryanair and Easyjet, the drunk assholes concentrate on the back.

 

And they are Spanish?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, coolness.personified said:

 

And they are Spanish?

They are your cousins and other innbreeders from your family.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, coolness.personified said:

 

And they are Spanish?

You may mean Portuguese?:P

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now