How strict is Ryanair with onboard luggage size?

67 posts in this topic

If you're flying from Memmingen, don't worry about it, the gate staff work for the airport, not Ryanair and don't check the luggage. Don't know about reus though.

I always use a sports holdall and Ryanair staff have never complained about it (at EMA, Berlin)

I fly a couple of times a week on average so just don't need the stress of Ryanair petty rules and charges so never use them now. I'm happy to pay the extra to take what bags I want, check in wherever I want, have complimentary drinks meals and friendly staff. I arrive relaxed and still feel I belong to the human race rather than a piece of baggage!

It's real simple. The tickets are cheap for a reason...it's a frickin' DISCOUNT airline. They're not ripping anyone off as the rules are clearly stated and help them save on high fuel costs. Stick to them, and you'll be happy with the value. If you want all kind of exceptions, fly Lufthansa. I mean, it's not like you'd walk in McDonalds and expect some employee to put a linen tablecloth on the table.

YEP

If you're flying from Memmingen, don't worry about it, the gate staff work for the airport, not Ryanair and don't check the luggage. Don't know about reus though.

I always use a sports holdall and Ryanair staff have never complained about it (at EMA, Berlin)

I went through Memmingen every week for a few months at the end of 2009. They constantly checked and weighed baggage, before we even got to the security check! Has this changed?

I'm not sure why people complain about Ryanair. I agree with some of the others...you get what you pay for. Ryanair is a business. Why should they charge a price for a service and then have customers constantly looking to get extras for free. I also feel a bit irritated and intimidated by the checks on luggage, but that's if I'm over-packed and I know I'm chancing my arm. And I'd hate to think of the prices we would be paying for flying without low fares carriers like Ryanair. I remember when it used to cost +400 Irish pounds (500 Euros) to fly to London from Dublin. People just couldn't afford to fly before Ryanair came to Ireland. And they are usually on-time and they haven't lost my luggage yet.

To the original poster, I'd pay the extra money and have a relaxing flight. They usually do check the size and weight of items of carry on luggage, but it does depend which airport you get on at. But if you're carrying something that doesn't visibly and obviously doesn't meet the restrictions for carry-on luggage, then I would pay up front. It's cheaper and easier than being told to do it at the airport, imho.

and they haven't lost my luggage yet.

The airlines responsibilty for the luggage is merely weighing it and carrying it. Getting it to the aircraft, putting it on and taking it off and then getting it back to you is NOT their problem.

I generally always lose my baggage when flying through Schiphol (Amsterdam) but I put that down to the possibility that all of the baggage handlers are as high as a kite !

Everyone goes on about the low cost of Ryanair because that is their marketing - but they are really very little cheaper (if at all) than the best prices from the main airlines.

The real deciding factor is where they go. If they fly from an airport that is (really) near you and go to a convinient airport the other end then hold your nose and go with it. If not then you will loose any saving in the cost of travel at each end.

Freddie Laker ran Sktyrain - gatwick -> over the pond

You mean Niki Lauda, who founded Lauda Air. They had a major disaster after about 1 year 200+ dead. Partnership with Lufthansa and Austrian (and other miles and more partners). Became Niki Air and is now owned by Air Berlin.

Everyone goes on about the low cost of Ryanair because that is their marketing - but they are really very little cheaper (if at all) than the best prices from the main airlines.

As someone already mentioned, national carriers only started offering such discounted fares once the discount airlines started swiping market share. Take the discounters out of the equation, and fares go right back up. I will say this about Ryanair... any hassle with baggage is more than compensated by the opportunity to choose my own seat which, with a small bit of guile, means sitting next to the hot redhead and not the 300 lb guy with a head cold.

Ryanair *grr*

we were 2.5kg over our limit recently flying back from Spain, wanted to offload some luggage into our hand luggage (had a few pairs of heavy shoes in the outside pocket of the suitcase) would've taken about 2 minutes but the po-faced hoity toity slag behind the counter said we would have to go to the end of the heeeeeeeeeeeuge queue and queue up again and we would miss our flight. of course this was the only gate open (t'was 6am in Alicante).

so the 2.5kg was rounded up to 3kg and we were charged 60€ for excess baggage.

they are very strict, have heard from a lot of other folk similar stories too.

Ryanair *grr*we were 2.5kg over our limit recently flying back from Spain; are very strict, have heard from a lot of other folk similar stories too.

that is the rule. 2.5kg over from 15kg = about 16% over! Imagine everyone did that! People always think it is only me and only 2.5kg. Read the rules, abide by them, no excess due. Many years ago we invested in one of these ;weighs nothing, loop of string round the case and check - before you go to the airport! It is the first thing on our 'things to take' list.

I didn't say I was right in being over the limit she just wouldn't let me take out a few pairs of shoes from the outside pocket of the case. there was one desk open and a massive queue, probably didn't help matters.

we have one of those gadgets and were not overweight (were actually 3kg under, how ironic) on our outgoing flight, ingoing we didn't have the gadget with us.

rounding up the excess weight is naughty, cost us an extra 10€.

on our Ryanair flights there were so many announcements too, selling stuff, smokeless tabs, lottery tickets, train tickets etc. got a bit annoying, we had a baby with us that kept getting woken up.

Sounds like a recipe for putting (even more) hassle into the flying experience. Why not just pay a little more for an airline that will treat you well, get you there on time and even transport your luggage for you.

on our Ryanair flights there were so many announcements too, selling stuff, smokeless tabs, lottery tickets, train tickets etc. got a bit annoying, we had a baby with us that kept getting woken up.

You brought a baby onto pikeyair? blink.gif

Did they charge a surcharge?

Read the rules, abide by them, no excess due. Many years ago we invested in one of these ;weighs nothing, loop of string round the case and check - before you go to the airport! It is the first thing on our 'things to take' list.

A friend of mine is anal about checking the weight of his bags prior to flying. He turned up once at Stansted knowing he was within the limit but the Ryanair scales measured overweight, he dug his heels in and refused to pay the excess until they'd re-weighed using different scales. Funnily enough these measured his bag as being within the limit.

@ lil

yup! we took a last minute trip they were the cheapest, from Memmingen, cuz it was school hols time bah!