How strict is Ryanair with onboard luggage size?

67 posts in this topic

OK,

We are packing our backs for a week away near Reus (Barcelona). Weight-wise we are doing just great to be able to get away with cabin baggage: under 10 kg each, no sharp objects, no large bottles of liquids, etc. However, one of the bags is a sports gym-like, over one shoulder bag and I estimate it is about 70-75 centimetres long (vs. 'allowed' 55 cms).

Any thoughts on whether this is a massive 'no-no', or 'it's ok mate, they don't bother with such small details'?

Thank you in advance. :)

Dan

They are extremely strict. If your luggage exceeds the allowance, they will not allow it in the cabin and it will cost big time. Unless you are rolling in dosh - an absolute no no.You are not even allowed a handbag on top of hand luggage. One item per person.

Read this, and believe it.

I'd use the word 'paranoid' to describe the Ryanair staff attitude to making sure they get every Euro possible out of you. If they could charge you extra to breathe on the plane, they'd do it :)

danz: unless you're feeling really lucky make sure your hand-luggage fits the dimensions and is under the weight, Ryanair and airlines just like it exist to make money off people who try and bend the rules. (That and fuel costs are hitting airlines hard so they're going to make sure you/we pay for every gram.. I wish they'd take body weight into account, the amount of fat, balding men carrying 10kg in manboobs on the plane these days! :) )

Time & time again I sit stand there in the boarding queue while some idiot complains about 5cm or an extra 500g thinking that he/she's going to sweet-talk their way through all red-faced and indignant that they're right; my position is that even if the hand-luggage allowance was 30kg, these people would be trying to get 31kg on-board.

short answer: don't risk it, those extra 15cm will cost you at least €40.

... the best one I saw was a guy who got stopped about his bulging baggage (absolutely packed to the brim), we all get boarded, queue him coming on-board last dressed like the michelin man, me and my girlfriend counting as he takes 1, no 2, 3, no 4?! no five!! jumpers off and store them in the overhead locker and sit down all angry and fuming :lol:

Ah, so that's the secret. Wear a few outfits on top of each other with lots of pockets and stuff them full. Then throw an angler's vest on top for even more storage room.

Wonder how long before they start reducing the weight and size limits for the passengers?

Bipa: I managed to sneak a rather unwieldy 5 season boxset airport purchase aboard before now under my jacket.. oh the adrenaline rush :lol:

I did hear rumours about people wearing cargo pants and stuffing them full but I think they're most likely wise to that now and would insist that you empty your many pockets and show that it can fit inside your hand-luggage.

And hey, two stairs for boarding is just genius (and by genius I mean completely obvious)

Contrary to what some of the other posters have advised, my experience would be that you can get away with some of this stuff if you're fortunate, but it depends on the staff you're dealing with. I've flown with Ryanair a fair bit and have never seen them weighing hand luggage, and if your bag is flexible enough (as it sounds from your description) to be squashed into the the little "luggage dimensions testing cage thing" you could get away with it. Worst case scenario you'd have to put it in the hold, which you would presumably have to pay for anyway (albeit more cheaply if done online in advance).

Incidentally, once when I checked in with hold luggage weighing 20 kg or so (and another 10 kg of hand baggage), that particular check-in agent told me that up to 15.9 kg was ok. No complaints received when boarding the plane with a >10 kg hand baggage and a jacket stuffed full of books...

What'll your next question be: "I'm thinking of organising a little demo in Tiannamen Square. Do you think it'll go down well?". Ryanair are famed for shafting their passengers for such things. A few friends at home have been put through the mill for relatively minor luggage limit infringements. Of course individual check-in clerks and flight attendants will make exceptions, but the internet is full of stories of people who've had the opposite experience. As Chocky says, if you obey their rules, all will be good. If you decide not to, get ready to pay handsomely before taking off from Munich (unbelievably far) West airport.

wow awesome, TIL RyanAir flies from Ulm. :D

(or at least it appears to be from Ulm as much as the normal Munich airport can be said to be Munich's)

Thank you all, yet again. Let's hope dcgi's suggestion to charge for heavy manboobs will not get implemented, as I (for one) am not getting any younger and with the current desk job can see myself developing those within a decade or two.

We fly Ryanair all the time and I'm always bricking it that I'm going to be 1 gram over the 10kg carry-on allowance. Some airports weigh it every time, some airports never weigh it, and some weigh it sometimes - so it's best to always adhere to their very clearly stated diameters. My husband did once take a flipping huge bag that still weighed under 10kg, but was bigger than allowed, and he managed to stuff it into the box thing at the boarding gate because it was a soft bag, but I was nervous the whole time.

My best Ryanair story is when my totally tight cousin was visiting from Australia and discovered he was going to be about 250gm over the 10kg when flying from Friedrichshafen (sadly they don't fly from there anymore). He thought the best idea was to wear his cargo shorts under his baggy jeans to save weight. Well, the security staff thought he looked far too odd when he was going through xray and didn't believe his explanation, so took him into a side room and made him undress in front of two guys with machine guns!

My hand luggage has never been weighed when flying with Ryanair, but I still wouldn't risk going over the weight and I can confirm they are VERY strict when it comes to the size of the bag

I love Ryanair though, hard to get a cheaper flight anywhere

We fly RYANAIR at least once a moonth, 'cos Bremen is convenient. As others have said don't even consider being 1cm or 1g over. In Stanstead they check you-in and seem to deliberately turn a blind eye to larger items. However, once you walk all the way out to gate 42 something, they have an extra team of about 5 people with credit card machines and cash tills. Only Ryanair fly from this part of Stanstead. EVERYONE is checked. You have a choice. Either leave the excess stuff or pay an horrendous amount or walk all the way back give the stuff to a pal, by which time you will have missed your plane. Saw someone at bremen have to pay €80 yoyos for a flight case (pilot style), to be checked in at the gate as hold luggage. Even they don't fit! Great airline otherwise, almost always early or on time. And if you can speak Rumanian you might even be able to order a coffee for €4.

You get what you pay for. If I buy 550g of cheese, do I expect to only pay for 500g? Do you get free food and drink on the train? All very well saying Airline X allows me Xkgs of 'free' hold luggage. No they don't. In theory the person who wants to fly only with hand luggage is paying for your 'free' hold luggage. I'm all for buying a basic product and adding on the extras WE require for our needs.

P.S. Expect huge delays tomorrow going to/from UK. Border Agency staff are joining the national strike.

I've flown with Ryanair a fair bit and have never seen them weighing hand luggage,

Sadly, having moved to Bremen from Nuremberg im going to have to exchange the wonderful (and not much more expensive) Air Berlin for Ryanair - The last time I flew with them from Bremen they were certainly weighing every piece of carry-on baggage.

Makes me chuckle though when I hear about people slamming Ryanair for flight restrictions (baggage dimensions, weight), fact is they know that their average customer is one who's booked with them because price is the primary deciding factor, simple as that, and as a result they know they're the sort of person who's going to try and bend the rules on things like baggage allowance, look around next time you're waiting to board your flight, it's rife with people trying to fuck over the system in any & every way possible.

People tend not to remember that their flight was trouble-free and on-time and quick boarding/disembarking etc.

It's real simple. The tickets are cheap for a reason...it's a frickin' DISCOUNT airline. They're not ripping anyone off as the rules are clearly stated and help them save on high fuel costs. Stick to them, and you'll be happy with the value. If you want all kind of exceptions, fly Lufthansa. I mean, it's not like you'd walk in McDonalds and expect some employee to put a linen tablecloth on the table.

The last time I flew from Hahn to Edinburgh and back, they put every piece of hand luggage in the measuring frame. It was funny watching people get mad about not being able to take their purse, plus their camera bag, plus their carry-on. For some people when they read "one", they think it means "two" just for them. We also enjoyed a group of kids putting on all their clothing to make their bag small enough to fit in the measuring frame.

Have not had any problems flying with Ryan Air, though if you spend any time on the travel forums, like Trip Advisor, you keep reading posts from people who don't realize how far away Hahn, or Weeze or Memmingen are from the cities they claim to be airports for.