Do you live in the Strausberg area?

10 posts in this topic

80 Million people in this teeny weeny country...where are you all hiding? Are there any English speakers in this area?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your post is an old one and I wonder if you are still in Germany? My husband and I retired here (from the UK) in 2005, we live in the Bad Freienwalde/Wriezen area and would like to have contact with other English speakers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bumping this up as this is my other choice in addition to Delitzsch. 

 

I cannot find any info about this area and nice places to live. It sounds really isolated and I don’t think living in Berlin is an option, whereas if I choose Delitzsch there is more of an option to live in Leipzig. 

 

Starting salary is the same, but there is more room for advancement at the Strausberg location they told me today. 

 

To give some more info about me: I’m recently divorced and not looking to get married again or start a family with anyone (that ship has sailed at my age). I like quiet, but not too quiet and isolated (lockdown was depressing enough for me). I currently live in a nice suburb of Munich and I love it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strausberg is sadly not far from the Schwarzbau in Gruenheide, €-auto factory, so rent prices might go up, and there might be a lot of new development. Unless the project fails, like Cargo Lifter (Tropical Islands) not so far away.

 

I would chose Delitzsch and live there. Seems obvious, but you can still get the train from Deli to Leipzig a couple times a week, instead of FIV€ times out from Leipzig.

 

I retired to a small town in Neufuenfland, it was a great decision. I bet there is quite a bit going on in Deli. In a bigger town you could get overwhelmed by the leisure possibilities.

 

It is great to live in a small town. Small, but with train stations*, all the shops and services you could need. Most days I encounter people I know when shopping etc, real community, and being a stranger here is a bonus. I am a big fish in a small pond.

 

* unfortunately standard stations, not like the Upstairs Downstairs station in Deli😉

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Strausberg is sadly not far from the Schwarzbau in Gruenheide, €-auto factory, so rent prices might go up, and there might be a lot of new development. Unless the project fails, like Cargo Lifter (Tropical Islands) not so far away.

 

I would chose Delitzsch and live there. Seems obvious, but you can still get the train from Deli to Leipzig a couple times a week, instead of FIV€ times out from Leipzig.

 

I retired to a small town in Neufuenfland, it was a great decision. I bet there is quite a bit going on in Deli. In a bigger town you could get overwhelmed by the leisure possibilities.

 

It is great to live in a small town. Small, but with train stations*, all the shops and services you could need. Most days I encounter people I know when shopping etc, real community, and being a stranger here is a bonus. I am a big fish in a small pond.

 

* unfortunately standard stations, not like the Upstairs Downstairs station in Deli😉

 

Could you explain the Schwarzbau more? I know what it means, but how is it in that area? 

 

I’m not keen on small towns, but you know that already from the previous thread. I really don’t want to live and work in the same small town for a number of reasons. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'Schwarzbau* in Gruenheide' is a gigantic factory to make €lectric vehicles where 10 000 people will be employed, there may be many more people working at suppliers so demand for dwellings is expected to increase, prices go up, more €conomic activity altogether.

 

Just looked at the map, the Schwarzbau is very near Strausberg but on a different train line. I imagine vast areas of woodland shall be destroyed to get more building land for homes, warehouses, gas stations, freeways nearby.

 

* it was built without proper permission.

 

May I ask, why you do not want to live near work? I am retired, moved far away from where I used to work😉

 

I think living near work outweighs any disadvantages. Had one job where the walk to work took three minutes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that information. 

 

I was not keen on Delitzsch. I have said that already. I will be working a bit outside of Delitzsch (Benndorf) and the bus stops running in that area at 18.30. It’s very isolated and I do not want to be isolated. I got divorced right before the pandemic and then there was lockdown. I live alone. I want to socialize and meet people and do things with easy access. My job is in Delitzsch for about 25 hours a week in 10 week cycles with breaks in between cycles. 

 

Being that isolated will not be healthy for me. I know what is best for me, so no need for you ask the same question yet again 🤣. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Leipzig I should try to find out about flight paths, there are lots of freight planes leaving at night. Fortunately 'Leipzig Airport' is some way from the city it purports to serve.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

The 'Schwarzbau* in Gruenheide' is a gigantic factory to make €lectric vehicles where 10 000 people will be employed, there may be many more people working at suppliers so demand for dwellings is expected to increase, prices go up, more €conomic activity altogether.

 

Just looked at the map, the Schwarzbau is very near Strausberg but on a different train line. I imagine vast areas of woodland shall be destroyed to get more building land for homes, warehouses, gas stations, freeways nearby.

 

* it was built without proper permission.

 

May I ask, why you do not want to live near work? I am retired, moved far away from where I used to work😉

 

I think living near work outweighs any disadvantages. Had one job where the walk to work took three minutes.

Strausberg is in fact 16 km from the Tesla grounds and has a direct S-Bahn connection to Berlin. Prices are indeed rising in all the outlying areas of Berlin, but probably still lower than Leipzig or Munich. It may look isolated on the map, but is definitely not a village. A former client of mine lives in nearby Fredersdorf, which is also no longer a village, growing rapidly with young families. Best to just visit the area and form your own impressions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skinnypuppy said:

Strausberg is in fact 16 km from the Tesla grounds and has a direct S-Bahn connection to Berlin. Prices are indeed rising in all the outlying areas of Berlin, but probably still lower than Leipzig or Munich. It may look isolated on the map, but is definitely not a village. A former client of mine lives in nearby Fredersdorf, which is also no longer a village, growing rapidly with young families. Best to just visit the area and form your own impressions.

 

Yeah, there isn’t enough time to visit the area. That’s my problem. I found more apartments in my price range in Leipzig than in Strausberg on Immobilienscout. I don’t really want to be surrounded by only young families. 

 

The Strausberg location has more possibilities for advancement, but I haven’t met anyone from that office and I don’t want to get stuck in an unhappy situation. There was no offer to visit Strausberg. At the end of the day I was told I still have the choice. I think they might just need to fill the position there. It’s a small office of 5 people, whereas Leipzig has about 10-15.

 

I fear if I choose Strausberg, I’ll be isolated and I just want a new start after my divorce and to get the hell out of Munich. Overall moving costs will be cheaper if I move to Leipzig. I still have to pay off my divorce. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now