Where to live if studying at TUM in Garching

14 posts in this topic

Hi there

I will be attending to TUM for the next couple of years. I would like to live in Garching or very near by. I've been checking the rental websites (the commission price is ridiculous, but well I guess I'll have to bite it this time) but most places I found are in Erching or Ismaning. so here are the questions:

1. how long (I'm no sports man at all) would take a bike ride from erching/ismaning to garching?

2. Are there any direct routes (bus or whatever)? if no. how long is the shortest bus/train ride?

thanks in advance

For question 1, suggest you consult a map. Question 2 can be tackled using the MVV website.

Hi

I live in Garching and you will find that there are a lot of student apartments around the area a short walk or bike ride to TUM. Also, many of the residents here have houses with loft or cellar apartments that they rent out to students as well. I would suggest you contact the university and ask for a list of names and numbers. There is a brand new student apartment complex just by Lidl and they are advertising on a billboard for the next semester. I am assuming you are already in Munich and can take the train to come and look around. The U6 goes all the way into the Forschung Institute and it is the last stop on this line north.

Both Eching and ismaning are fairly close (5 or 6 kms) and a bus connects to Garching but I don't know the schedules or whether both go to the University.

Good luck finding something!

Diana

The new student apartment building contact is:

www.slc-campus.de

MAIL: info@slc-campus.de

FREE CALL: 08000264264

Also saw, as I was walking in the township, an advertisement for a 2 room apartment (590€ Kalt or 800€ Warm), option to rent an additional room @ 50€pcm

Teelfon: 089 3204481

Handy: 01711907370

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes

Diana

Hello,I'm about to move to Munich for a semester,at Garching campus in TUM in September,as an Erasmus student,and I'd like to know which would be the best area to live for this period.I'm searching for an area which will have easy access to the U6 line,so I will be able to commute to the university campus at short time.Having already checked in the map about how far from the centre is the campus,I'd rather prefer to stay somewhere in the middle of this distance.I'd like also to stay cheap,as fas as the accommodation expenses are concerned,given that generally I understand that life in Munich is relatively expensive.That's why my first looks are at the private halls of residence in the area described above.Anyone who also could inform me about the places,where students mainly spend their most time in Munich,would be very helpful,since unfortunately till now,I know nothing.

Thanks for your time in advance!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

A couple of months ago I posted THIS question.

The student in question has just let me know that he has been accepted for his Masters at TUM Garching. SO he is now looking for a place to live. The WG rooms on the well-known website are extremely expensive. However, my daughter's friend is moving out of a big (19 people) WG at the end of July and his room is €160 per month. It would be ideal (if a bit chaotic) for a start -- BUT...

Problem is: the room is in Freising, not Garching.

Apparently the commute between the two towns, thought they are near together on the map. Seems you have to take the train into München and then back to Garching? But there's a bus, the friend says. Can anyone offer advice?

Another option he has been considering is to rent a whole flat with some other Indian TUM students. It seems he has found a few INdians presently in India who would be interested. However flats posted on Immobilienscout are also extrely expensive even if shared.

He has also applied for a place at halls, but it's a lottery so uncertain.

Any help would be appreciated. He's a lovely guy and is deserving of help. Yes, I know him in real life.

9 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Apparently the commute between the two towns, thought they are near together on the map. Seems you have to take the train into München and then back to Garching? But there's a bus, the friend says. Can anyone offer advice?

http://www.bayern-fahrplan.de/de/auskunft

commute from Freising Bahnhof to Garching Forschungszentrum seems to be about 35 min

19 people? €160 per month? Are you sure he didn't rent a bed :)?

What is his budget? The average price for a WG- room of 18 sqm in Munich is around €500,-

Well, it didn't work out -- a former Mitbewohner is returning and stole the room from under my friend's nose! Not sure what his budget is. I'll ask him tomorrow. Thanks for replying. Meantime he's still looking for a room in Garching, or a flat he can share with other Indians. He is a nice quiet reliable and rather shy fellow who lives simply. If you hear of anything...

Funny -- I tried to give rep to LukeSKyWalker and I got a popup saying I am not allowed to give rep to that user. But the rep did take. Very weird...

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Funny -- I tried to give rep to LukeSKyWalker and I got a popup saying I am not allowed to give rep to that user. But the rep did take. Very weird...

It happens frequently.  I think it's built in by Editor Bob to flummox us. :D

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

When web functions like that start to get sticky it may be time to clear your browser's Cached Web Content again. In Firefox you should go to Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Cached Web Content and click on 'Clear now'

The exact terminology or pathway may be different if you use Chrome or some other browser but the cause and effect will be similar.

The only on topic suggestion I can come up with is to keep a sharp eye on all the related TT subforums for any offers.

There seems to be a lot of both seekers and offerers in the Munich area albeit the former outnumber the latter by about 4:1 and, as the latter don't appear to be very responsive within their threads, I suspect their offers are snapped up fast via PM responses.

2B