On-line banking - setting up Quicken in German

52 posts in this topic

Your IBAN can be calculated using the link I gave above. It does work.

For the swift code you should find it on the banks website easily enough. I'm with Stadtsparkasse and there was no problem finding it.

Good luck.

I know of no other German bank that allows you to do online international transfers

I just logged into my online banking account at Dresdner Bank and found that they now allow you to do online transfers within the EU. Previously they only handled transfers within Germany.

@Malc Does you really mean EU or do you mean the Euro zone? My bank is currently working on putting Euro transfers online (or so they told me two weeks ago).

It says "EU Überweisung" so I assume it means the whole EU, not just the Euro Zone. I haven't actually tried to do transfer to a UK account yet, so I can'T say if it works.

post-10-1101921516_thumb.jpg

Hmm *thinks*

SWIFT transfers can be effected to anywhere in the world, so it's not a simple SWIFT.

The currency EUR is hard coded, so I don't have the option of chosing any other, which may be significant.

Keep us informed of whether it works to the UK or not.

You can use an EU Überweisung to send money (but only Euros) to any other bank account that can provide you with a SWIFT/BIC/IBAN combination (normally you need BIC and IBAN, although I maintain that an IBAN is unique and therefore should be sufficient - it's a regular argument I have with my bank :) ). Inside of Euroland the transfer is free, outside of Euroland (e.g. UK) there's a small fee. I often send money to a UK account (both using Quicken and online banking) using the EU-Überweisung - the UK banks convert the Euros to good old Sterling... It's also very quick - 2-3 working days max...

YL6

outside of Euroland (e.g. UK) there's a small fee

Not if you give the IBAN. I did a transfer to the UK using the old-fashioned paper method, and it was free.

There's some discussion about this somewhere in one of the many other threads about banking.

Not if you give the IBAN.  I did a transfer to the UK using the old-fashioned paper method, and it was free.

I have to admit I wasn't quite sure about this when I wrote it. I just recalled I was charged... you may be right (or it may depend on bank)... I'll check...

YL6

I need to setup quicken with my bank in germany. Even do this thread is 3 pages long I found only one relevant entry for the topic so please refrain to posting anything other than quicken help FOCUS PEOPLE FOCUS! :-)

To use Quicken in Germany you need to have a T-Online account (installed on your PC with direct internet connection) and enabled for T-Online banking with your bank OR you have an HBCI online banking interface from your bank (i.e card reader and HBCI PIN). Even if you have these setup is not trivial. HBCI is the most flexible, by the way...

YL6

Resurrecting an old thread here... I would like to start using one of these programs to get a better handle on A.) My finances B.) See if I can do my own tax returns, thus saving a fair chunk in change for the steuerberater.

I see there are a few versions on the market and wondered if anyone had experience with them? The original topic poster never got around to sharing his experiences so I'm guessing he did not get very far? I have used various versions in the past and as said already due to language and not understanding much about the tax system I rarely got very far.

Are there ways to get help with these applications? Apart from the dummies guides. Which ones are the best in your opinion and why?

Quicken http://quicken.intuit.com/

Quickbooks http://quickbooks.intuit.com/

Lexware http://www.lexware.de/