Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Replacing a lost German driver's license

10 posts in this topic

for the german d.l., go back to the place it was issued to replace it. i don't mean that to sound smart, but where I used to live it was the "Ordnungsamt" which was the same place you could go to register, get a new passport and get your residence permit too.

here in munich however, everything seems to be split up.

Thanks for the tip :) the my problem is that my drivers licence was issued in Hamburg, and i'm not living in hamburg anymore. Do you think i need to go back there? Or will it be sufficent enough to go to the "Ordnungsamt" in my city?

Cheers!

Should by no problem to do this in munich... Driver´s licences are registered in a central database. You simply say, you lost your driving license, then fill out a few forms an thats it. And, don´t forget the photo

Ben

Oh and go early! The other posters are spot on but take your ID, your Meldeschein, 2 photos (I'm not sure if it is 1 or 2 but take 2 just in case) and something to read because the queues can be very big.

Katrina

That's a definite no, as all German driver's licenses are printed centrally by the Bundesdrückerei. Turn-around is about a week (officially I think 2-4 weeks) and may be able to be expedited, but it certainly isn't same-day service.

The local Führerscheinstelle (or other issuing authority) may be able to give you a temporary document in the interim.

It takes approx. 4 weeks ... but

... Da die Bearbeitungszeit ca. 4 Wochen dauert, können Sie bis zur Aushändigung Ihres Ersatzführerscheines auf Wunsch eine "Befreiung von der Führerscheinmitführpflicht" erhalten, die jedoch nur innerhalb Deutschlands gültig ist. Die zusätzliche Gebühr dafür beträgt 11 EUR ...