Teaching English Privately

44 posts in this topic

Munich

I and my wife have been approached several times over the years to help to teach English on a 'private' basis to German School kids and other foreign non English residents wanting to improve their English for various reasons.

My wife has been currently conned into helping the daughter of a work colleague with her English.

We rarely charge for our efforts but it has gotten me thinking whether there is any money to be made from our endeavours

I am curious what anyone thinks the going rate should be if we offered our services on a more formal basis, stuck a notice on a lamp post??? €/hour???

We have no formal qualifications to teach English currently but there are people out there who are still wanting our help so does it matter?

TEFL/TESOL Certificate/Diploma. We are considering obtaining formal qualifications with the idea that we could do a better job and also so that we would have a foundation when we came to charge for our services.

Any experience of obtaining any of these? We think distance learning we would be the easiest option.

OK "My wife and I"!!!

BTW we have several English Grammar books...

Wanted to see who the wise "$£"£% were as well

Depends if the people want a receipt or not.

If they want a receipt, then you will need to put it 'through the books' and pay tax on it. On the other hand, you can offset the price of any grammar books, photocopying, toner, printer costs. Mind you... 100 euros spent will only reduce your tax bill by about 19 euros.

If they don't want a receipt, then you could offer to lower the price a bit.

I charged EUR 26 per 90 hours, no receipt. I know one guy who charges EUR 30 per 90 minutes also with no receipt.

But people who had private, professional (i.e. working) students who wanted a receipt charged at least about EUR 30 per 45 minutes.

I bet that when you start charging, the requests will fade away. People do so like something for nothing.

In my old flat, I sometimes helped the boy from the Turkish family, but that was only occasionally. In return, I got hot meals and cakes! Lovely.

I charged EUR 26 per 90 hours, no receipt.

That's a hell of a rate, Nina! I'd bet you were popular :)

My prices:

Intensive 1 on 1 Business English with MD of local firm: 90€ for 90 mins (through the books, contract expires after 60 hours/30 weeks)

Semi-Intensive Group at local Pulp Mill : 90€ for 90 mins (through the books, contract expires after 60 hours/30 weeks)

Intensive group at local Metal fabricators: 110€ for 90 minutes (though the books)

-Cash in hand:

Daughter of Friend's friend: 10€ for 60 minutes (Abitur stuff)

3 of her friends: 20€ per hour, regardless of number

Older customers: Ca. 8€ per hour plus career advice and babysitting

_Translation (no qualifications) 1,50€ per line of 55 characters. Surcharge of 50, 100, or 200% for rush work.

I charge and get these prices.

@OP - I had a similar situation with requests for help by people in the neighborhood and through the kindergarten. I made sure to state that I would not work with kids under 10years old and would not take/charge money.

At one point I had separate sessions with 2 pre-teens and a mother of a kindergarten friend of my daughter's. I NEVER charged, as I believed they were ''helping'' me as with my German as I was ''helping'' them with their English but did accept treats and cookies they brought/had in their homes. At one point I did think of expanding my sessions and getting the official credentials etc that you speak of. But then, I am glad I never bothered any further than printing off some lessons and referencing books I already had.

Commitment on both sides waxed and waned and finally after a year, the sessions ended. I still see the adult socially but the teens have moved on. It was more the parents who wanted the sessions in the first place.

Before you spend any monies on certifications and qualifications and text books - try going the ''meals and cakes'' route - and gauge what long term investment you want to make, if any. And be very aware, if it is known that you do charge, people can/will ask you about whether your sessions are ''schwartzgeld''. I was very clear to state: Ich verdiene kein Geld.

Good luck --- ML

I'm not a big fan of working for free. Students often say things "Would you mind having a quick look at my English CV?" or "This is my daughter's homework, would you mind just checking through it?". It often turns out that they require and indeed expect a professional job. These days, I just say no to almost all that stuff. As Nina says, people love something for nothing. A lot of them barely thank you afterwards, too.

Ah, yes, I remember now. I would charge 26 euros for a single person for 90 minutes. And 14 per person if I had two or more at the same time. This was to cover the extra photocopying.

I also didn't take on everyone. I liked Japanese students best. Because of their nature. I still miss some of them. And am still in contact with two who are back in Japan.

Now, my new flat is not in a location that is as easy to get to as before so I only have one student left.

I think who you are teaching makes a difference. A business person wanting to improve their English is different to giving Nachhilfe to students. Around here, the going rate for Nachhilfe is between 12 and 15 Euro for 60 minutes. On the other hand, giving lessons to a business person is around 30 Euro for 60 minutes - none of this would be on the books though.

Toytown - advertising how to blatantly work under the table and dodge taxes for foreigners. :rolleyes:

DDbug, the problem is, most of the people who want private lessons don't want to pay the Mehrvertsteuer. I don't do private any more because it's just to difficult to 1), get them to actually pay for the service and then 2) get them to agree to pay 19% on top.

Yeah, private people freak when that's added in on top, I generally calculate it into the price. xxx inkl. MwSt. It's also easier to chase down your money when it's not "private".

Toytown - advertising how to blatantly work under the table and dodge taxes for foreigners.

Why would you need Toytown to find that out? Siemens wrote the handbook on dodging taxes in the mid-90's, with dodgy dealings to the tune of at least €420 million. But hey, why not go after the real villains, the fatcat freelance English teachers :rolleyes:

Very true Noel, but look at Siemens now, can't buy a bunch of flowers without getting it approved first!

"

Yeah, private people freak when that's added in on top, I generally calculate it into the price. xxx inkl. MwSt. It's also easier to chase down your money when it's not "private".

"

They pay at the end of the lesson. Full stop.

Very true Noel, but look at Siemens now, can't buy a bunch of flowers without getting it approved first!

I know Tap, I teach there too. They are absolutely paranoid these days. One of their managers told me about their box at the Allianz Arena in Munich which has apparently been empty on many occasions for Bayern Munich games in the last year or two as the managers are worried about running into compliance issues if they bring clients there. Apparently the people at the Allianz Arena and some genuine fans who found out about this are a bit cheesed off.

DDbug, the problem is, most of the people who want private lessons don't want to pay the Mehrvertsteuer. I don't do private any more because it's just to difficult to 1), get them to actually pay for the service and then 2) get them to agree to pay 19% on top.

But many teachers working part-time, especially in the private sector don't (need to) charge MwSt. as they don't turn over enough to need to register for it. Only full-time freelance business teachers have this risk, and their business customers have less of an issue with it as they can reclaim it.

But many teachers working part-time, especially in the private sector don't (need to) charge MwSt. as they don't turn over enough to need to register for it. Only full-time freelance business teachers have this risk, and their business customers have less of an issue with it as they can reclaim it.

This is true, I actually can't remember what the limit is anymore, it used to be around €17,000 a year before you had to charge MwSt, but that may have changed by now.

That comment was in response to people not wanting to pay MwSt on top of the going rate.

Lack of MwSt is not the same as "without a receipt".

Depends if the people want a receipt or not.If they want a receipt, then you will need to put it 'through the books' and pay tax on it. On the other hand, you can offset the price of any grammar books, photocopying, toner, printer costs. Mind you... 100 euros spent will only reduce your tax bill by about 19 euros. If they don't want a receipt, then you could offer to lower the price a bit.I charged EUR 26 per 90 hours, no receipt. I know one guy who charges EUR 30 per 90 minutes also with no receipt. But people who had private, professional (i.e. working) students who wanted a receipt charged at least about EUR 30 per 45 minutes.I bet that when you start charging, the requests will fade away. People do so like something for nothing.In my old flat, I sometimes helped the boy from the Turkish family, but that was only occasionally. In return, I got hot meals and cakes! Lovely.