God and the German School

109 posts in this topic

Just heard yesterday that a catholic priest refused to marry someone because his/her name or surname was not Christian...

Sadly @MikeMelga, I can imagine a local priest around here doing that too. Down in Iversheim, an Eifel village heavily hit by the floods, I spent a few hours with some folk cleaning mud (and worse) out of the Catholic church. An hour after clearing it, I was asked by the Army to speak with the Church Vorstand (who had seen us do all the shovelling) if the church could be used as a place to hand out coffee and food. I agreed to ask, because for me the answer was obvious. It turns out the answer was equally obvious for the Church, but different to what I had expected - a straight "no". After that brush off, I then asked whether we could use the Church hall for that purpose instead...the answer was: "but we've just fitted a new carpet, we can't have all these people bringing mud in there. You can only use it provided you agree to replace the carpet!" Seriously, you could not make this sh:t up. In the end, it required a Judge to speak with the vicar and tell him that if he didn't make the space available, she would take photos of the clean, empty hall, alongside pictures of the destroyed village and filthy helpers and residents, and let the press decide what to make of it. It's a pity that threats were the way to get him to move, rather than a simple desire to help.

@dstanners  Why couldn’t they cover the carpet and walls with plastic to protect it?  Unbelievable!  😏  What’s a church for if not to support a community?

That is truly shocking. 

Not just the priest but the whole Vorstand. That is a club, not a Church and they are an embarrassment. 

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Just heard yesterday that a catholic priest refused to marry someone because his/her name or surname was not Christian...

I know more than a couple Christians' and it does seem unfair that only them are allowed to marry. 

:P

21 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I know more than a couple Christians' and it does seem unfair that only them are allowed to marry. 

:P

Many years ago when I was dumb and stupid I got married. She was catholic I was, at least on paper, church of UK. The catholic priest refused to do the wedding as I was not catholic, he then did it when I told him not to worry we would find some other religion that was not so fussy.

Priests can always find a way. My youngest sister had already been married twice, once even in a Protestant church, when she got ready to marry a third time, this time to a Catholic.  No, no, no, said the priest, but then he said, wait a minute. You said the second marriage wasn't consummated? [This is a different but very funny story.] Well, then, that marriage doesn't count.
Now let's look at your first marriage, the one in church. You were baptized Methodist, yes? And how about your husband?
Well, my sister said, actually, he was never baptized.
Ah, said the priest, sitting back with a satisfied smile. Marriage to a heathen doesn't count. You can get married to #3 - set a date.

Marriages 3 and 4 also failed, but my sister has been married to #5 for over 40 years. 

All this catholic talk reminds me of the show Evil. It's on Paramount Plus, but of course you can stream it for free too (on Putlocker at the moment it's farily reliable). If you like the crazy demon stuff that comes with religion, you might like this show. It's a lot of fun (coming from an atheist).

On 27/08/2021, 10:33:17, MikeMelga said:

Many years back, I was travelling with a good friend of mine. He is Indian (india) background, but Christian. In fact, his family have been purely Catholic for 400 years or so, from Portuguese influence and intermarriage (Goa and a few other places). They all have Portuguese last names, and some of his relatives (I've met a bunch) have quite light skin, and blue or green eyes are not unheard of either. (I'm technically Catholic and had to go every Sunday, no missing, till I was about 18, but just about fully lapsed these days.)

So we were in Istanbul. I'd never go to a Mass/service by my choice, much less on holiday, but my friend was back then kinda semi-religious. We figured we could check out on old (Roman) Catholic church that is otherwise not open for tourism, the icons and frescoes and what not, so eh, fine. I normally made a point of not taking communion even if I were dragged into Church (yes, my parents hated this when I was a teen, lol). My friend nudges me into taking communion so he didn't have to go up alone. So, our turn. In goes the body of Christ. Next my friend... but the priest hesitates and shakes his head. My friend has brown skin, and many people in Turkey assumed he was a Gulf Arab. Well my friend is just kind of waiting, awkwardly, and then nods. The priest again is hesitant and after a few more seconds makes a sign of the cross and a questioning kind of gesture with his hands, also glancing at me, as by then I had stopped to the side too. My friends nods and says 'yes yes Christian' and signs the cross too. The Priest is still hesitating, and then whisper-asks very unsure, 'Christian??'. My friend nods again and finally gets his communion, though the priest looked very unconvinced. We laughed about it after.