Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Receiving a late request for payment from notar

3 posts in this topic

Hello everybody.

I have tried a search of the forum and have found similar topics, but nothing quite identical.

The situation is, I bought a flat in Berlin in 2009. The contracts were signed in late October and I received the Land Purchase documents in mid November. The conveyance of the property was registered in my name in March 2010. After that I had no further correspondence until this Friday when I received an invoice as "that we paid on behalf on you the court fee to delete the priority notice". Sorry, I do not have the German translation available, the letter was written in English. There was a bank account opened to accomodate all payments but this was closed in February 2010, apparently successfully.

The sum in question is fairly small but I was really wondering, what is a priority notice that needed to be deleted four months after the purchase was completed, why did they wait so long to inform me, and whether there will be any other charges that are due. Finally, is it within my rights to ask for the notar to write a letter stating that there are no other payments to be made? I am not entirely happy to be asked to pay for things which happened more than a year ago and which I had no idea of.

Thankyou in advance for any advice anyone may be able to offer.

I'm afraid you're most likely screwed on this one - Notars tend to be bullet-proof in the fees they charge and they can bill you up to 3 years after the fact. I'm assuming the "priority notice" is the Sperrvermerk that they filed for the property register at the same time (or shortly before) they registered your property, to ensure no one else could do so. I don't understand quite why this is required, nor why it needs to be canceled (as opposed to just expiring automatically), but the same thing has happened to us in previous property deals we've done.

But in essence, once you sign a power of attorney for the Notary for a real estate deal, you're liable for any court fees that are incurred no matter how long after the transaction took place they are actually billed.

Thanks for your reply El Jeffo, I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. Still, if there is a three year period, then that means that I have only another 18 months or so until it is over, hopefully they wont come up with any other mystery charges!

I think that I shall take my Paragraf Deutsch along to the notary offices to check if that is indeed the case, and why they took so long to send me an invoice.