Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone watching Eurovision tonight?

28 posts in this topic

Can it really be fun, when you haven't got Terry Wogan making jokes about it? I am not even sure if he is still doing the job of taking the piss out of Eurovision, but I do remember enjoying it in the past with him.

Old Terry doesn't do it anymore. But how hard can it be to make fun out of something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJnD9Omu5ck&feature=related

Dancing shouty gnomes from Moldova. The US couldn't outweird that in a million years.

Ha ha Wobinidan. I was going to give it a miss because I am so out of love with Stephan Raab and Lena, and I couldn't imagine watching this taken seriously on German tv, but the INHERENT cheesiness might make it worthwhile.

I personally love Lena's new song. I'm not that impressed by her personality, but I never was to begin with, and Stephan Raab has always irritated me to the point that pencils I am holding snap. But seeing as how everyone hates Lena now, you can enjoy watching her get trounced with monstrosities like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwjPSQbW7s

But personally I vote Sweden for the absolute worst song of the contest. I won't put you through the audio toxicity that is "Popular" by Eric something. Actually, I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12mO_z8VxY

Oh, ja, those were bad!! Ah, alcohol sales will have a nice spike tonight, I am sure! Lena's where the hell is her accent from voice is something that I couldn't really take from the first. Ah well, it is only ONCE a year.

Have a lot of fun and a lot of booze!

I am uber excited even went and got snacks

I want to get popular with the Swedish guy he is kind of hot :lol:

For those of you watching this on the BBC, Graham Norton took over from Terry Wogan a few years ago. It's not quite the same, but still has it's funny moments.

Well, while I cringe at bad pop, I'm sure some people will cringe at something I secretly enjoy. I like a little Schmalz with my cheese. ;-)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCrSpHDmzw&feature=related

For Wobinidan: I caught this in a review of Eurovision in the Guardian ;-):

The German presenters in the arena were a tedious threesome: two glamorous women who thought they were funny flanking a doughy-faced, David Brent-ish man who thought he was a rock star. We’ll never have to see those three again, thankfully.

did anyone else think that Anke was plain rude?? There was no "hello X country can i have your votes" in THE LANGUAGE of the country...and then when she was complimented there was no "well thank you", or "you're welcome"

For Wobinidan: I caught this in a review of Eurovision in the Guardian ;-):The German presenters in the arena were a tedious threesome: two glamorous women who thought they were funny flanking a doughy-faced, David Brent-ish man who thought he was a rock star. We’ll never have to see those three again, thankfully.

Never have to see them again? IF ONLY!

;-) Thought you would appreciate that one!

@tog10--To Anke's credit, she nodded and acknowledged every compliment. Otherwise, she might have cross-talked over her guest, and that would have only made the show longer and harder to follow. The nods were body language acknowledgment to each compliment. No fault there, I don't think.

ok that is a point...still I used to like the foreign lanuguage small talk, i mean if the other countries could make the effort to speak in German, then Anke could at least have said "hi this is Germany calling, did you like the show?" she went on about "in gewöhnte Tradition" and then did something different...it just disappointed me, I think. I'm sure there was a reason for it, though...as you say, it might have made things less easy to follow, but people have managed in previous years. Although in the last three years, by the time it all got to the points, I was hammered and so didn't really follow...this was the first one in years, where I've been sober enough to tell what's going on

I didn't notice, but apparently the broadcast was a little long, so maybe they just had to hold the talking back? Still, if you wanted the cross language talking (And I take your point about more of that in past shows, but you did Israel stunning the presenter with the whole conversation in German, and you had France pissing everyone off for not talking in English.

And, maybe it was the lack of back and forth yammering that caused those couple of presenters to pull those cheesy faces while they held back the names of the large point winners? Maybe they also wanted her to jump in and chat with them? I guess Anke's style just made for different talking points this year. It gave us those annoying, cheesy pauses before awarding points, perhaps! But yeah, she was a different sort of host.

In general, the French language on the show was hugely down from when I remembered watching it, and the cheesiness factor has also nearly disappeared. But when Lady Gaga is such a hit worldwide, the Eurotrash thing has got to fail to shock like it has in past years, imho.