How do I privately sell a car?

11 posts in this topic

I will soon be parting ways with my car, and don't plan on replacing it, as the town center flat I'm taking has no parking. I don't want to get fleeced by those car export types, so I was thinking that selling it privately would be the way to get better value.

I have no problem about placing the ad on Autoscout etc, it's the bit after finding a buyer that I'm hazy on.

So basically I'm after answers to the following:

1. How do I de-register the car so that I get back the portion of the Kfz steuer? Does this also stop me getting his speeding tickets?

2. What paperwork do I have to give the new owner? I have a piece of paper entitled "Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I"

3. Do I need to remove the numberplates before handing the car over?

Grateful for any helpful advice.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

standard practice is....

- get a copy of his or her passport

- get a standard purchase contract, either download from Mobile.de or ADAC which contains the necessary clause stating that the purchase will de-register the car within max 3 days and that he or she is liable for any insurance claims etc.

- cash payment only, preferably staright to the bank.

good luck

JB

1. Go to your local place for de-registration (maybe your Buergeramt) and bring your license plates, passport and both "Brief" and do an "Abmeldung". After this the car can't be driven anymore on the streets so no problem with speeding tickets.

2. Both "Brief/Schein". It is a good idea to sign a selling contract, you can download it from the ADAC site.

3. See number one

If you follow the above advice, no problems. Your car tax rebate will be refunded automatically from the Finanzamt to the (to them) known bank account.

Remember, once deregistered, you can't park it on the side of the road!

And don't forget to tell your insurers!

It's quite common to let the purchaser take care of the de- (or re-) registration as it's hassle for them if you do it unless they are with you at the time to re-register it. Once de-registered the car cannot be used or parked on a public road until it is re-registered again and the plates must be removed (and will be defaced at the registration office/Zulassungstelle)

One of the standard contracts mentioned earlier is a very good idea to complete and be signed by both parties as it details the state and known history of the vehicle as well as any additional items handed over as part of the sale (multiple sets of keys, winter tyres, accessories, etc). You will also have to give the new owner the latest TÜV and exhaust emissions certificates if they are still current.

Your insurance will automatically be advised of the de-registration and refund any unused premium as will the Finanzamt your unused Kfz-steuer. Remember to keep your insurance documents in case you want to take up new insurance keeping your no-claims bonus (or transfer it to a near relative).

I am selling my car to my friend. Can we do the de and re registration in the registration office together? I mean de-register the car for myself and re-register the car with my friend at the same time? Anyone knows the address of the registration office in Dusseldorf? Do I need to make an appointment first?

What documents my friend needs to bring with to register with the car: papar of the car, driving license, insurance sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

The vehicle registration office (Zulassungsstelle) is part of the Straßenverkehrsamt in Höherweg 101, 40233 Düsseldorf. Opening hours are Monday and Tuesday 07:30-16:00, Wednesday and Friday 07:30-13:00 and Thursday 07:30-18:00. You can make an appointment online or perform much of the registration process also online.

Assuming the car is currently registered in Düsseldorf and that your friend also lives in the town, so will be re-registering it there, then you can do this together.

You will both need the following:

• Zulsassungsbescheinigung Teil I (also called the Fahrzeugschein) - the small registration document
  • Zulsassungsbescheinigung Teil II (Fahrzeungbrief) - the large registration document
  • Your passport
  • The old number plates

In addition to this your friend will need:

• elektronische Versicherungsbestätigung (eVB) - confirmation of insurance from his insurance company
  • Meldebescheinigung (confirmation of his residential registration which should be not more than 6 months old)
  • Einzugsermächtigung Kfz-Steuer (bank deduction for car tax) - you can get a copy of this form at the office
  • Prüfbericht über die Hauptuntersuchung (if the car is 3 or more years old) - the technical test certificate (used to be called TÜV)

It's wise to have the car with you as they may ask to see it.

Hi YorkshireLad6, thanks for the very useful information.

Regarding the old number plates, do I really need to remove it from my car? Without the number plate, can my friend drive the car straightaway after the registration or he has to apply his own number plate beforehand, and install it on the car after the registration before he can drive it? Or can my friend have the option to just use my number plate?

If you are re-registering the car in the same area your friend can either choose to keep the same plates or have new ones with a new number - the latter approach is more expensive as you need to have new plates made. Either way the registering office will want to see the old plates and if they are being changed the old ones will have to be invalidated. You can either drive the car to the registrations office, park and remove the plates to show them, or simply park the car off-road and take them with you to re-register. The car cannot be driven (or parked) at all on a public road without plates.

How long does the refund of unused tax and insurance premiums take after the sales of the car?

On 8/18/2019, 1:52:23, TurMech said:

How long does the refund of unused tax and insurance premiums take after the sales of the car?

For future reference, i received the relevant letter (Kraftfahrzeugsteuerbescheid) 16 days after informing the Zulassungstelle about the sale .