Living in Unterschleissheim

18 posts in this topic

Hi there, we are trying to decide whether we should move to Unterschleissheim where my husbands work is or whether we should stay in Munich, say Schwabing and he will commute. I have a 2 year old daughter and another one on the way. I would love to hear from anyone English speaking in Unterschleissheim area as to your thoughts on living there (so far we have been in temporary accommodation for 6 weeks and love what we see of Germany, but haven't learnt much German yet). We have found the perfect house in Unterschleissheim but, not sure about living there, found a nice apartment in Swchabing but not so perfect size wise etc. so in a bit of a dilema? Can anyone help?

Will also be wanting to get my daughter into a kindergrippe, or something similar as she is missing interaction with other children, would love it to be bilingual but she can probably manage a German one as well.

Thanks

Kirsti (from New Zealand)

Hi Kirsti,

I lived in Unterschleissheim when I first arrived in Germany and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. That said, I was single and in my 20s.

You are already a family, and can probably make your home just about anywhere.

What kind of lifestyle do you have?

When I lived in Unterschleissheim there were often young children riding their bikes up and down the street alone - it was sweet. But whenever I got home from work late (after 8) the only place to eat at was either MacDonalds or a Bavarian type restaurant. On the weekend there was a decent farmers market by the Sbahn station. Oh, and the S1 would stop/break down about once a week, that may be better now.

My memory is too faded to remember anything else... it was a while ago :)

There are a lot of young families in Unterschleissheim. A friend of mine who is here for her work on an expat contract and her family moved to Unterschleissheim and they love it.

You will have a MUCH easier time with kindergarten and kinderkrippe in Unterschleissheim than in Munich. Plus, there are lakes to swim at that are easily within cycling distance, etc. and, did I say, LOTS of families.

If you are a single, then, yeah, I wouldn't recommend Unterschleissheim. But for families, it's great.

Lots of English speakers out here, including me....

Admittedly, we never lived in Unterschleissheim, but my hubby works there as well. We opted to live in Munich so I would be able to more easily connect with people. My hubby doesn't seem bothered by the commute when he does go to the office. I will say that I really like living in the city, and I have never really lived "in" a city before. I have found a lot of meetups/events/playgroups/etc in the city and have not seen many postings for such in that area. Again, my impression is based on being in Munich...have never actually even been in Unterschleissheim. Good luck with your move and decision!

PS -- i have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and kindergarten/krippe spots are VERY hard to come by in Munich.

Kirsti hi. I am back on site again. It has been a major struggle to sort things out in Berlin and the company has decided to restructure to Munich!!!??? Just when I have made progress in school applications and a place to stay!!!

It would be very much appreciated Kirsti if you could keep us posted on your decision out of town or in town. The out of town area you mentioned I am really interested. We are finally hoping to make it to Germany in start of 2012. I have a 5 yr old son and am a home person, very family orientated. I have done the single bit and have moved on. So really want to know how you get on in this expensive city. Much more expensive than Berlin at least. Do u mind telling us what sort of rent are you looking at?

Thanks BTW if there are any Berlin TT people looking I am really grateful for all the response...even though I am now NOT there. I must admitt I really had my heart set on Berlin...Munich seem to be too flashier place by far. Boris Becker lives there for goodness sake :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance to Kirsti or anyone who can direct me to a place for a family from London with a one 5yr old who dont speak German... a place to live with decent schools...top marks for anyone who can mention school names. No pun intended.

Yanyan

Lots of english speakers in Unters. due to Microsoft and attending the Bavarian International School at Haimhausen. The S1 means that you can nip into the city really easily and it's only about 20 mins by car. There are three stops in that area; Oberschleissheim, Unter and lohhof. The little main street in Lohhof is just lovely; two beautiful gift shops, lots of restaurants and cute cafes, food stores, clothing, seamstress etc but they do keep country hours ie closing early on weekdays, some of them don't open on Mondays etc. Great playgrounds, swimming pool, tennis courts, ballet classes...

Rents in this area tend to be a little higher than you'd expect (probably because they've had so many ex-pats for Microsoft/BIS for years now).

Yanyan, you'll find it so tranquil, unstressy and safe here in comparison to living in London with children.

TS

We need for our friends (a couple with 2 kids 5 years old) 4+ room apartment / house for a long term lease in 85716 Unterschleissheim.

References available.

Would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Btw, are there any nice, big, decent GYMs in Unter. ?

I am also moving to Microsoft/Munich office (from Redmond) and I was planning to be closer to work and not bother with the commute; and just use the S1 if my city crave has an episodic outbreak. 20 minute commut isn't that bad...

Considering it took my as much from Redmond to Seattle. Somehow I am mentally adjusted to that kind of commute..

But absence of a GYM would be critical. :-) Being single requires to be in tipy-top shape.

Hi, my family and I are moving to Munich in March 2013. We are looking for recommendations of the best places to live near or commutable distance from the bavarian International school. We have 2 children aged 7 and 8 and so looking for places that are good for children to live. We are currently looking at unterschlesshiem and the surrounding area.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I live in Eching and I know Unterschleißheim as well. Nice small cities, but kind of rural and sleepy.

So, if you're single, in your 20'ies and want to do the pub crawl a few times a week - stay in the city.

If you have small kids - move to Unterschleißheim, Eching or Garching.

Depending on traffic it takes me 15 to 20 mins to the city by car. Living in the city I wouldn't be much quicker to get to where I want to be. So it doesn't make a difference.

However - I couldn't afford a large house with garden anywhere in the city ;)

If you are a family with small children, you will like Unterschleissheim. Many of our friends who used to live in the city moved out to Unterschleissheim. 1) you won't have a problem finding schools and 2) there are lots of family friendly activities.

I don't have kids but I much prefer Unterschleissheim to Munich. I can ALWAYS go to the city...but I prefer my little oasis in Unterschleissheim (ok, ok, I technically live in Riedmoos, but you get the point).

And to answer someone else's previous post, there are a couple of big gyms in Unterschleissheim.

On 1/14/2013, 10:54:33, kitkat64 said:

If you are a family with small children, you will like Unterschleissheim. Many of our friends who used to live in the city moved out to Unterschleissheim. 1) you won't have a problem finding schools and 2) there are lots of family friendly activities.

Hello @kitkat64: this post is 4+ years old now. I think you are still living close or in Unterschließheim. Do you think it is still a good place for families?

Thanks

On 10/6/2017, 9:29:37, Baldexy said:

Hello @kitkat64: this post is 4+ years old now. I think you are still living close or in Unterschließheim. Do you think it is still a good place for families?

Thanks

I too would love an update as we are considering BIS but I'm stuck on the fact that there seem to be so many beautiful towns to the South by MIS but am not finding much info. on similar, cute village / towns to the North. I am liking BIS better, but the living options (only per my research, unseen) for MIS better. Any update from folks North of Munich would be awesome and appreciated.

Unter / Ober Scheissheim?

Not for me. The Schloss is nice, but not an area for me to live in.

Characterless and sleepy come to mind.

OK if you work for Airbus or previosuly Microsoft - but aren't Microsoft now in or moving to Schwabing?

Yep Microsoft is now in Schwabing. That doesn't necessarily mean all those expat MS folks moved into Munich too though!