For the homesick Yorkshire folk

85 posts in this topic

It said the medals had added to the Yorkshire population's belief "their county is better than - and really the best of - all the English counties

I was a bit confused by that bit ... what do they mean "belief". Isn't that like saying "I believe 2 + 2 = 4"?

Leeds, Yorkshire also has the Garden Gate pub which is a fine example of Victorian architecture. Only downside is it's in Hunslet

I am wondering what a 'Head of Culture' does in Barnsley. I assume it's not a full time position?

As a Barnsley man I was quite surprised to see that not only do we have a tourism board. But that it has actually come up with a half decent idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088212/Barnsley-Lourdes-Chinese-Christians-Yorkshire-town-launch-bid-attract-millions-tourists-Far-East.html

My grandmother accidentally ended up in Barnsley one time.Had to be brought home by the police.

there's a saying in Barnsley, "Nobody wants to come to barnsely, which is good coz nobody's fucking welcome in Barnsley."

More than 50 per cent of the overseas tourists visiting Britain are Chinese

really? I thought most Chinese who visit europe avoided UK due to visa hassle caused by muppets at UKBA?

That's Haworth, mlovett. That really is a nice part of Yorks. Bronte country.

For every Haworth there's a Batley or Hull though. Pick your way around and it really is a fantastic part of the world. Get it wrong and you could end up in Chapeltown. Few return. Even fewer return with their wallet.

Tourists flock there to find the hospital I was born in ( unfortunately, long demolished ).

I was born in the hospital that Jimmy Savile use to work in. I never looked back since...

That's Haworth, mlovett. That really is a nice part of Yorks. Bronte country.

For every Haworth there's a Batley or Hull though. Pick your way around and it really is a fantastic part of the world. Get it wrong and you could end up in Chapeltown. Few return. Even fewer return with their wallet.

Thanks for the travel tips. :D Have you considered putting them in the comments section of that CNN article? ;)

Another great Barnsley tourist attraction.

Barnsley's prank-hit Dickie Bird statue raised

A statue of former Test cricket umpire Dickie Bird has been elevated to stop people hanging rude items on his outstretched finger.

The sculpture, in his hometown of Barnsley, has become a magnet for revellers who have hung condoms and pants from it. etc...

I'm chuffed to bits!

Yorkshire rose to feature on Tour de France yellow jersey

The White Rose of York will feature on the yellow jersey for the 2014 Tour de France in a tribute to the host county of the Grand Départ.

The design of the iconic jersey was announced following the official announcement of the 2014 route this week, which will see the cyclists ride through the Broad Acres of Yorkshire.

The white heraldic rose appears in translucent form on the front of the the Tour’s leaders’ jerseys, manufactured by Le Coq Sportif.

The white rose will also feature on the white and green jerseys for the leaders of the best young rider and points classifications.

The yellow jersey design is inspired by the maillot jaune of the 1951 Tour de France.

The White Rose of York is said to date back to Edmund of Langley in the fourteenth century and it has since been adopted as a symbol of Yorkshire as a while.

http://www.dalesman.co.uk/yorkshire-rose-to-feature-on-tour-de-france-yellow-jersey/8471

50 Reasons Why Hull is The City of Culture 2017

19. London 0 Hull 4: Apparently one of David Cameron’s favourite albums, much to the dismay of ex-Housemartins singer Paul Heaton.

38. This City Belongs To Everyone. The afore-mentioned video created by Hull’s Nova Studios, especially for the bid presentation in Londonderry last week. It’s already been viewed by more than 87,000 people in 143 countries

49. Dean Windass: His Wembley goal to send Hull City into the Premier League for the first time will be forever etched on the fans’ memories – along with his bleached blond crewcut.

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/50-reasons-Hull-UK-City-Culture-2017/story-20116239-detail/story.html#ixzz2lPrSQqhP