For the homesick Yorkshire folk

85 posts in this topic

Yorkshire has beaten Berlin, London and Madrid to win the title of Europe's Leading Destination in 2013.

The prize was awarded at the World Travel Awards in Antalya, Turkey, which are described by organisers as the "Oscars of the travel industry".

Yorkshire is the first location other than a major city or country to have won the Leading Destination title in the 17-year history of the awards.

Tourism agency Welcome to Yorkshire said the award was a "major coup"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23930147

Yorkshire has beaten Berlin, London and Madrid to win the title of Europe's Leading Destination in 2013.

The prize was awarded at the World Travel Awards in Antalya, Turkey, which are described by organisers as the "Oscars of the travel industry".

Yorkshire is the first location other than a major city or country to have won the Leading Destination title in the 17-year history of the awards.

Tourism agency Welcome to Yorkshire said the award was a "major coup"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-23930147

and that's a surprise because...?

An American holidaymaker visiting a church in Manchester saw a golden telephone with a sign that said "Calls 10,000". He asked the priest what it was for and was told "It's a direct line to God".

At Liverpool Cathedral he saw a similar golden phone and the same sign. At other churches throughout the county he found golden phones and the same sign.

Then he stopped in York and went into a church and again saw a golden phone but this time the sign said "Calls 50p"

The American said to the vicar " Father, I've travelled all over Lancashire and I've seen this golden telephone in many churches. I'm told it's a direct line to heaven but in Lancashire the price was 10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?"

The vicar smiled and said "You're in Yorkshire now, my son. It's a local call."

bbc web site

Yorkshire has been named as one of the top places in the world to visit in 2014 in a new travel booklet.

Lonely Planet put the area third in the top 10 world regions, behind destinations in India and Australia.

Clearly only because Yorkshire isn't a country in its own right yet

Yorkshire has been named as one of the top places in the world to visit in 2014 in a new travel booklet.

Damn, I'm planning to visit in December 2013. I should have waited until 2014 :lol:

From Hallam FM:

"They've also rebranded themselves as 'Barnsley, Yorkshire'..."

Now don't give any ideas to the rest of the U.K. There maybe places renaming themselves as "Glasgow, South Yorkshire", "Birmingham, Yorkshire & The Humber", "Newcastle, North Yorkshire", "Bognor Regis, West Yorkshire", "Slough, North Yorkshire", or, God forbid, "London, South Yorkshire".

I am wondering what a 'Head of Culture' does in Barnsley. I assume it's not a full time position?

Lonely Planet put the area third in the top 10 world regions, behind destinations in India and Australia.

The guide mentions Yorkshire's "rugged moorlands, heritage homes and cosy pubs" and that next year's Tour de France's grand depart will be in Leeds.

The 13th Century York Minster cathedral also makes it into the guide's top 10 global "sights to make you feel small".

The guide also refers to the success of Yorkshire athletes - including heptathlete Jessica Ennis, cyclist Ed Clancy and boxer Nicola Adams - in the 2012 Olympics, which resulted in winning seven gold medals.

Lonely Planet's top 10 regions

1. Sikkim, India

2. The Kimberley, Australia

3. Yorkshire, UK

4. Hokuriku, Japan

5. Texas, USA

6. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and Zambia

7. Mallorca, Spain

8. West Coast, New Zealand

9. Hunan, China

10. Ha'apai, Tonga

It said the medals had added to the Yorkshire population's belief "their county is better than - and really the best of - all the English counties

It isn,t a belief it's a fact:-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24713858