Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

143 posts in this topic

I hope you handed back the shades when you left the SAS.

Well here is a plot of the GPX in Google Earth of the trail I followed today whilst the kids were in ski school.

It starts at Draxlhang car park and wends up Schwarzbachtal to its end. Glorious run.

post-32-1329942067825_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of going xc-skiing in the Englischer Garten over the weekend and taking advantage of all this awesome snow. Has anyone got any intelligence on the state of the trails, where they start etc.? That would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

There is nowhere to hire cross-country skis in Munich. The closest hire shop is in Lenggries. For reasons I can't explain there is no official trail in the English Gardens, but you are free to make your own or follow someone else's. There are a few official groomed trails in Munich, and details of these are on the Munich council website.

Well the Loipe is "frisch gespurrt" here. We'll be on it tomorrow.

Night Skiing in the English Garden

I went skiing though the English Garden after dark for the second time last night. If you have your own skis I couldn't recommend this more highly. On a good night it is just magical. I had brought a headlamp but didn't use it. The moonlight reflected from the snow gave more than enough light to navigate by. Although you're in the centre of the city, in the northern part of the garden you feel like you're in the wilderness. We were quite alone, making our own tracks though open fields of deep snow and past crystal-covered trees.

This was our route:

XC route

It's not long, but slow and quite strenuous. Although there are some tracks there, they are in varying condition and hard to follow in the dark. But that doesn't matter. You can easily cut your own track and then pick up the trail left by some previous skier. Navigation is hard at times - you have to find bridges to cross the many streams, but that adds to the adventure, knowing that if you get really lost you can easily find the city again in any direction.

It's possible to go all the way from the south to the Aumeister, but the best trails are in the north-western part. We even saw a skier practicing his skating style.

If you try this, go in a small group to appreciate the silence. Dress warmly and bring spare layers/energy bars. It gets damn cold.

Well we are going to Bayerischzell tomorrow.

We were there too! Did you see a man pulling a pulka?

For anyone wanting to know the current conditions, there's a good summary here.

Another website with a summary of conditions, some in English:

Loipenfetisch

It looks as though there might be some snow closer to home by the weekend, fingers crossed. Even my fail-safe track is starting to get a bit worn.

I am a student in Munich and I like cross-country skiing on groomed trails. I have my ski gear here, and I'm looking for a cross-country ski area close to Munich that has lots of kilometers of trails. Anyone have any recommendations for good areas, no more than 3 hours away from Munich, accessible by train, and preferably with at least 30 km of trails in one area? And if you do, could you link me to the website? Of course I have found websites for ski areas but they are not so clear and it would be good to get some advice in English from someone who has skied near here.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Good afternoon,

There are a few around but the best that I have skied is in Seefeld Austria. They are olympic trails and are great! You can take the train from Hbf to Seefeld. Here is the link.

http://www.seefeld.com/de

Have a great time!

Regards

Bill

Thanks Bill! Do you know of a website or forum where users post reviews of ski conditions in Bavaria / Tirol? Currently the Seefeld website says only about 5 km are open, but user reviews could be more up to date.

More will open in the next couple of days. Seefeld is definitely the Mecca, but Karwendel, Oberstdorf and Inzell/Ruhpolding/Reit im Winkl among many others also fit your criteria. Have a scroll through the tour archive for ideas. Bergfex has most the trail conditions.

Do any of these places have a waxing area with tables where I could scrape travel wax off my skis (and waxing irons)? And do any of them have chalets with restrooms or places to store stuff?

Currently the Seefeld website says only about 5 km are open, but user reviews could be more up to date.

The Seefeld website last year only got updated every morning, early, but it looks like they're updating more frequently this season. So far. Today there's more open than yesterday, as expected from the snowfall. The Ganghoferlauf is the last weekend of January so don't go there then unless you like crowds.

Seefeld has lockers and bathrooms in the Olympiasport building as well as restaurants unevenly spaced along the loipen. Waxing tables I haven't seen, but I haven't looked. We just use the kind you don't need an iron for.

Right now you can go in the Isarauen and the English Garden right in town. Assuming you do classic and not skating?