Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

143 posts in this topic

Hi

My husband and I would really like to try out cross counrty sking (it seems less scary than the down hill kind). Since it would be our first go we are looking for somewhere closish to Munich (perhaps within 1.5 hours drive) with an easy route for a few hours. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations of where to go?

Also do you need to book in for ski etc before hand?

Thanks

Kittie

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Well, there would have to be some snow, to begin with. I have a feeling we'll be getting enough in the near future.

No need to go far, Perlacher Forest is full of CC skiers. It's quite nice and it's right here in town. You could probably rent the gear from Sport Schuster or Sportschek.

I know the department stores as well as the specialty sport stores sometimes let you try out downhill skis before you buy (for a small fee/deposit) and I imagine they might do the same with cross country skis.

Hmm, options for hiring cross-country skis in Munich are limited. Your best bet in my opinion is to book a private one-day lesson, because otherwise you won't really know what you're doing. Most ski schools offer such lessons, so when the snow returns (and I share RickMunich's confidence that it will) book one. HiSki in Lenggries is as good a place as any, and is only an hour from Munich on the BOB.

You could probably rent the gear from Sport Schuster or Sportschek.

Really? Are you sure, I didn't think that you could.

You can certainly rent skis in many resorts, probably a better option as you can go and swap if the boots hurt or you don't get on with the skis.

Right now there are tracks open in Lenggries: report here or Leutasch/Seefeld which is about 1 /2 hours by car from the centre of Munich. Leutasch is a bit better for beginners as there are more flat tracks. I've hired skis from Sport Wedl, but there are other places there too.

I second what STB says about lessons - you can manage without them but having someone show you how it works will save you a fair bit of sliding around at the beginning.

To save cluttering up the other thread I thought I would revive this one.

Clearly there is no snow in Munich yet, but a few places do have enough to ski on.

Seefeld/Leutasch have fantastic conditions now and Moni-Alm and Bayrischzell are open. More to come this week, I hope.

Most places are now groomed although some are better than others. Bayrischzell was fantastic yesterday, for anyone looking for a tip as to where to go.

No need to go far, Perlacher Forest is full of CC skiers. It's quite nice and it's right here in town. You could probably rent the gear from Sport Schuster or Sportschek.

Well Bron I know you use our local Loipe so I thought I'd inform you ours is "gespurt" - Holzkirchen - not far from the S Bahnhof for those by train.

Rick - I used to bike through Perlacher Forst down Oberbibergerstr to Oberhaching from Mangfallplatz U Bahn years ago, but the only trails were self-made by others. Is there a Piste machine making trails there now?

Funnily enough, we were in Hartpenning on Saturday. There were still a few brown patches although it was pretty well prepared. Actually, I saw a young skier with a union jack hat, that wasn't one of yours, was it Jeremy?

Haha! Nope! And I'm not young either!

I meant to add that while the Loipe is made the weather here is SHIT ice cold and grey - hard to see the tracks, so I'd leave it a few days yet. I'm more a fan of the Roggersdorf stretch myself than Sufferloh.

FYI there's a gorgeous Loipe down the B13 Tölz by Sachsenkam to Schaftlach - I did it a few weeks ago:

http://iamrogertheshrubber.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/862/

Thanks, I've not skied that one.

No, I actually wondered if the skier was one of your children, he looked like junior school age. They were all having a lot of fun playing football on skis.

Our town is having a "Schluss verkauf" - an outdoor shop 102 years old is closing down, and I went there looking for Nordic skis for my daughter. She is size 30 and they only had sizes 35 onwards, and the man (coincidentally the brother of whom we bought our house from) told me that the kids outgrow the boots very quickly.

Don't they grow out of all shoes quickly though? How about second hand? I'm sure that TSV Hartpenning have some sort of flöhmarkt every year. If not, ask in Fun Sports in Holzkirchen, Tobias there had his mini-racer on skis at the age of two so he must know where to get them.

Salomon shoes start at size 27, complete with go-faster graphics to look just like the big racers.

I meant to add that while the Loipe is made the weather here is SHIT ice cold and grey.

As my husband found out when he tried a pre-work training session. I think he had thawed by lunchtime.

Are you referring to Langlauf skis or Piste skis? cos we have that base (Piste) covered - Goretex suits, helmets and all. They're down for a week's ski school again at the Michi Gerg Skischule Faschings week, as last year.

Langlauf. The skis are light so there is no reason why they can't start young as long as they are enjoying themselves.

Bf and I am planning to take a two day trip somewhere, one day Langlauf and one day walking around, so we'd like a place with Loipen as well as beautiful view. For the moment we are considering the Berchtesgarden area, because we like it very much, but not sure about the Loipen condition there. Does anybody have any idea about this, or maybe recommend some other places?

Thanks!

Most of the trails seem to be open. However, as the snow at lower levels is still a bit hit-and-miss, I'd be tempted to head higher up (e.g. Mittenwald, a pretty town at 900 metres without the "Pistenrowdies" you find in larger resorts) or into the Tirol, where there is tons and tons of snow even at lower altitudes.

Berchtesgadener Land Loipenbericht

We have fresh snow on ours but it ain't laid yet!

I looked up Mittenwald and found it lovely, even with a violin museum! We plan to stay there for not one but two nights!

Thank you very much for this wonderful suggestion, Small Town Boy!

What else is worth doing there, in addition to cross-country skiing for one day and visiting the violin museum? For cross-country skiing, should we go to Leutasch or stay in Mittenwald?

So looking forward to this trip!

A good walk to do is through the Geisterklamm. There are signs telling you this is closed in winter but you can still walk there and you won't be the only people doing it. To get there, walk south out of town along the main road and then turn right just before the bridge over the river onto Am Köberl and follow it for a kilometre or so. To the right of the kiosk for the Wasserfallsteig (properly closed in winter) the path to the gorge heads up the hillside.

The cross-country trails to the south of Mittenwald are only about 8km in length, so Leutasch offers much longer trails, all graded easy. Or there's a more technically challenging trail to the north of the town, the Panoramaloipe. The Leutasch trails cost €6 as they're part of the Seefeld network, while the Mittenwald ones and the Panoramaloipe are free.

Langlauf in the English Garden is now on!

No prepared tracks yet that I could find, but the snow is plenty deep enough.

Others are out and you can follow their trails, or blaze your own.

Taken an hour ago...

post-16-1328881160086.jpg