Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

143 posts in this topic

Not yet dear. Maybe the Sufferloh bit but I don't go past that bit. I'm in the middle of the "figure of eight" map of the loipe if you understand me. I think the Sufferloh side if it tends to get the best care, and the Rog'dorf bit comes later.

Bron: I was just out sledging with the kids and the Loipe near me is "gespurrt"

Thanks. We trained by the sportsplatz in Grosshartpenning last night. That bit has been groomed for ages, even if it was quite heavy going last weekend.

Are there any loipens in the city you can just turn up and hire skis?

Not as far as I know. Your best bet is to buy a cheap set, sports shops usually have a deal for shoes, skis and poles, or try small ads, flea markets or ebay.

There is ski hire in Dietramszell and in Lenggries, those are probably the closest places to Munich.

The north half of the English Garden has a groomed classic track as of today. Some bare patches, but mostly nice long stretches where you can really ski.

I went round the English Garden yesterday. It's really fantastic on XC skis, with so many smooth open spaces and trails between the trees (and no hills). The northern part is especially good, as most pedestrians don't go there. The official trail can be hard to follow, as it often stops at a path crossing, and you have to figure out where it starts again. There are also (in the northern part), so many unofficial trails from previous skiers it is hard to know which is which.

But it's fun just to wander at random. I eventually got completely disoriented near the Aumeister, and went in a complete circle, but of course it's bounded by roads and the river on all sides, so I did figure it out again.

I firmly recommend it. It's a wonderful place, and only 20 minutes from home for most of us. Unfortunately, this snow will melt soon, so get there while you can.

I did get to go yesterday afternoon, it was beautiful. Not sure I found any official trail at all -- I thought I was on one (the long stretch with two tracks next to each other) but a lady who'd been there on Sunday already told me that it was also just manmade (as opposed to machine made). Should still be good today too.

In the southern part, the trail follows a bridleway along the western edge. It doesn't look very machined. There are many crossing points, which can be a pain, as they are highly gritted. In the northern gardens, the trail starts a little to the west of the Hirschau biergarten, but where it goes after that is a great mystery. I wish I could go again, as it looks like melty weather from tomorrow.

There were still decent tracks in Nymphenberg yesterday afternoon, it looked as though they had been groomed by machine at some point. They will probably be ok today.

The Moosham/Dietramszell tracks were fantastic on Tuesday and Grosshartpenning has 30km groomed.

Alas, the snow is melting :( Grosshartpenning was ok last night but it won' last much longer. Seefeld is still fine and should be until the end of March and the Karwendel area should also be fine for a while.

For anyone wanting to buy equipment, Powderworld are having a flea market on Saturday in Schalkofen: http://www.powderworld.de/forum/messages/1007.html

Thanks for posting, Bron, I was wondering what this warm weather would mean.

Bayrischzell had loads of snow yesterday which made skating interesting (they finally groomed it when we had finished training). We also got to have a chat to an Olympic medalist!

Lenggries is groomed, Grosshartpenning too (not sure how much), Moosham/Dietramszell stil has too little snow. Kaltenbrunn has snow but will be quite crowded today an the snow report for the rest of the Karwendel area is still from yesterday morning.

In January, my family's moving to the Munich area for two years and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to bring our cross-country skiing equipment with us (this includes a ski trailer for my son) or if we should just rent skis there. The decision will largely be based on how much skiing we'll actually be able to do, so my question is--realistically, what is the ski season in both the Munich area and the German Alps? And, as we'll be living up north in Garching, how accessible will the ski trails be for us (aka, how long will it take us to get to good skiing in both the Munich area and in the Alps)?

Thanks for your help!

Well as Munich lies at 500m it does of course get its fair share of snow, but if you want to be near Munich and get snow then our neck of the woods is a better option. I live 300m from a Loipe and there are 4-5 near us i know of. Roll on the snow!

Renting skis costs about €15 per person. The quality varies, and you may only notice the burning blisters after an hour or two. You have to make sure that you return the skis before the shop closes (often as early as 4pm). Without your own skis you can only going skiing in the Alps, whereas if you have your own you can blaze your own train around the Englischer Garten, or use the Loipen in the Nymphenburg gardens. I think you'll regret not having brought your own equipment.

The skiing season is impossible to predict. A couple of years ago the Loipen opened at the start of November, but then the snow melted again and that was it until the end of January. Other years you have reliable snow from December through to mid-March, heading further up (e.g. Seefeld at 1,000 metres) as the snow starts to melt. This winter is predicted to be a particularly cold one, which means it will probably be particularly mild.

The length of the season depends on how far from Munich you are prepared to go. Last year we were training in Seefeld in October and there were good tracks in several places until the end of March. Form Schwabing we can be on snow in Grosshartpenning in about 45 minutes, traffic permitting so add on the extra time from Garching (at least 15-20 minutes).

It is possible to hire Kinderpulka trailers for children in Leutasch (Sport Wedl), but that's the only place I know of, so if you definitely want to put your child in one it's probably a good idea to bring it with you.

Regarding renting equipment, it will restrict you to shop opening hours as STB says. Some of the areas closer to Munich have ski hire (e.g. Powderworld in Dietramszell), but Grosshartpenning, Monialm and Kreuth don't. The larger places will hire out skating sets and so-called "profi-quality", as well as beginner sets so it is possible to get decent equipment.

You could also buy skis here, either new or second hand and then sell them or take them back with you. The only thing to note is that if you bring your own boots and hire or buy skis, 3-pin bindings are now very uncommon and found only on old skis, SNS seems to be the most popular although I've noticed that amongst racers plenty of people have switched to the NIS system.

Great, thanks for the advice. One more question--are there any/many Loipen in the Munich area that are groomed for skate skiing? My husband's a pretty avid skate skier, and I'm trying to convince him he'll be able to decently train for a race like King Ludwig's Skilanglauf while we're living and he's working in Garching. We live in Wisconsin now, so we're pretty spoiled for easy access to cross-country ski trails, classic and skate.

Yes, almost all of the places which are groomed regularly are prepared for both skating and classic. The tracks in Munich itself e.g. Englisher Garten are not (they are only groomed when there is loads of snow and the city has time anyway) and I wouldn't rely in them for training.

There are floodlights in Grosshartpenning, Moosham and Lenggries, so evening training is also possible. Have look on google maps to get an idea if this would be close enough for you to consider.

My husband and I have done the König-Ludwig-Lauf several times, so if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch. There are also several other citizens's races in Germany which are organised into a series by the German ski federation and plenty of people travel from here to the Engadine ski marathon (really worth it if you are keen on racing and, in my opinion, much better organised than the KLL).