Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

143 posts in this topic

Links coming up...

Skating Schule Scherrer Information that Hartpenning was groomed was posted on the forum by the man who did the grooming. I can also recommend Peter's courses.

Powderworld, based in Dietramszell, also has a forum where people post about what conditions are like. They run courses and do ski hire.

Grosshartpenning is groomed by TSV Hartpenning, it's done by volunteers and paid for by the club, so don't forget to throw a couple of euros in the box. No ski hire there as far as I know. Floodlights will be on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

Dietramszell is groomed by SC Moosham on a voluntary basis, same as above. Ski hire possible from Powderworld. When the weather is good, this is fantastic place with great views of the alps, at night there are also sometimes floodlights for a 2km section.

I've never skied in Glonn, but it's also not far away.

Snow report for Lenggries is here and there is a plan of the loipe linked in. Ski hire is possible near the tennis hall and they have floodlights from 7-10pm.

Snow reports and plans for Klais-Krün-Mittenwald, skis can be hired right by the track in Klais. I'm sure that they can be hired in other places in this area too.

The link for Seefeld and Leutasch is in my post above. They usually groom very good tracks and it is a large network. It's also high enough to have snow when places closer to Munich don't. The downside is that it costs €7 for a day ticket, but it's still cheaper than downhill ski-ing. Ski hire is possible in several places linked on the Seefeld website and there are plenty of other activities there: downhill ski-ing, winter hiking, skating, curling, large swimming pool complex etc.

Is anyone here thinking of trying their hand at a Volkslauf? There are quite a few nice ones not that far away and you don't need to do the marathon distance right away.

There's a Fischer ski test day from Skating Schule Scherrer and Fun Sports in Holzkirchen on 26th and 27th December; either in Hartpenning, Kreuth or Monialm. There will be taster courses from Skatingschule, so it could be a good opportunity to give skating a go for anyone who is dithering (like Jorgan, go on, you know you want to).

Hello! New member here. My wife and I might be moving to Munich in a few years. How common is backcountry skiing there? (cross-country skiing off of groomed trails) I prefer exploring in the woods to being stuck in set tracks. I see a reference above to 'waldbashing'; is that basically the same as backcountry?

LOL, yes, that was what I meant by Waldbashing :P Away from the beady-eye of the purists! Rucksacks, beards, no lycra etc.

I don´t see what is wrong with lycra and I believe that Jorgan isn´t averse to the occasional tight-fitting outfit :P

There isn´t a big backcountry scene as far as I know because a lot of the forests either belong to someone or are nature areas, but there I can´t think of a reason why you can´t put on a pair of skis and go exploring. I did break my own trail when I went to Garmisch after a snowfall and lost the normal track; when I turned round there was a whole family skiing in my tracks! The closest thing I have seen to backcountry skis are the "nordic cruising" ones which are a bit shorter and wider than normal langlauf skis. Once you get into the mountains ski touring (like downhill skis with a different binding) is very popular.

Are you allowed to backcountry ski (or hike for that matter) in the nature areas even if there is no official trail? On the skis, my backcountry setup is somewhere between "nordic cruising" and "ski touring." I have fairly wide skis with metal edges, 3-pin bindings, and relatively heavy boots with decent ankle support. Its not heavy-duty enough for telemark (I have another setup for that) but great for exploring off-trail.

Good question, but I don´t know the answer; it might be worth starting another thread to ask.

I´ve never seen skis like you describe being sold here.

For anyone wanting to enjoy a nice groomed track parts of the Dietramszell loipe are now groomed.

Well I live 200m from the middle part of the Grosshartpenning loipe. The conditions yesterday weren't that good as there was a lot of grass visible under the tracks if you get what I mean. I think we still need more snow, maybe a good foot of the stuff, to get a decent bed underneath. It is still snowing here in Holzkirchen, so it'll be  awhile before the "Pistenbully" machine is back out. 

@Jeremy, do you have any idea what time the groomer usually goes out? We were thinking of training before work this morning, but had no idea if it would be groomed.

Yesterday in Grosshartpenning was quite good, I thought; the tracks had been prepared very well with no awkward bumps or ridges and the stuff that was poking through in places was mainly grass rather than stones. I took training skis just to be sure but it was a good session and even the temperature wasn't a problem with the sunshine.

Bron - I'll try to keep my eye on the loipe for you, as I drive past it every day on the kindergarden run. When I am fit I'm on it almost every morning when they're in KG. However it's a frustrating time for me as I have to lay off as my shoulder has bursitis. I love that loipe. We (my wife and I) take it in turns on there. It's quite a long circuit in all, but we usually do it in halves.

Be aware that the best stretch is more northerly running from Holzkirchen to Roggersdorf. The whole round there is spectacularly beautiful. I think the long term future of the Grosshartpenning is in doubt as they've just signed off on the Südumgehung of Holzkirchen, to be built in the long run. But the Roggersdorf bit will be fine. 

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your shoulder; have you thought about skating without poles, or would that be too frustrating, it would certainly be a good way to work up a sweat? I like training there too so I hope that they don´t loose the whole area to a bypass.

It didn´t look as though the Roggersdorf stretch was groomed on Sunday, but the "loiperer" has just posted a message to say that there is now 8km prepared and there will be floodlighting tomorrow evening.

Right, well the transition from Ironman to XC skier isn't going to be a quick one (see what I did there Bron ;) ). I just decided to go out buy some skis & boots (hell, you only live once and I don't pay the Mw.St) and took them out in the woods today. I know, this isn't the best way to start out, on ungroomed crappy trails, but there you go! It would appear that my fitness isn't going to be of much help at this early stage :lol: The snow was a bit shallow in places and I heard a few zipping noises as ski touched ground (eww).

Anyway, I think early in the new year I will get some lessons somewhere more suited to a beginner! I bought some spray wax and whacked that on the buggers too (I got all-round cruising skis). Geezo, the skis were 'quick', no matter how I tried to keep my weight forward, the skis kept trying to escape ahead in to the distance and putting me on the 'back foot'; I just felt like a runaway train, even on lumpy ground. I need to get some longer poles too (just used my trekking poles fully extended today).

Does any of this sound familiar? I have no idea how I would turn or stop at the moment LOL. I see there's a Langlauf school in Lenggries (Light Lines) any other recommendations, not too far from Erding? I wish I'd taken this up last winter TBH, as this will be my last here :-(

Any guidance appreciated :rolleyes:

Looks like quite a few tracks in Lenggries opened up yesterday. They were closed the day before.

http://www.lenggries.de/de/schneebericht-1

That's good, Lenggries is another nice one and it's a bit higher up.

Well it was beautiful in Grosshartpenning this morning, the tracks were in great condition and there are only a couple of tiny patches where dirt is showing through, so it would be fine for using racing skis on. It looks like the track to Roggersdorf is at least partly groomed. It was really a shame to head back to Munich for work.

Right, well the transition from Ironman to XC skier isn't going to be a quick one (see what I did there Bron ).

Groan. T2 is from XC skier to biathlete, or you could try winter triathlon.

Your efforts sound like my first attempts. How tall are you? I know someone who may have a pair of poles for sale.

Regarding lessons, the Lenggries ski school is probably worth a go, or try Powderworld, Andrea there is very nice and we are probably going to take some coaching from her this year. I can also let you know when we are training and we can give you some tips.

Don't do what I did and enter the National Championships as your first ever race.

Yep bron the Roggersdorf stretch is ready to go.

How tall are you? I know someone who may have a pair of poles for sale.

I'm 1.82m; I could do with something that doesn't look shiny & new (although the bottom of my skis already look like they've done a couple of seasons :rolleyes: ). I have 184cm skis, even though I'm actually 76kg, and ended-up getting Salomon shoes/bindings, as the Fischer shoes were too wide a fit for my girly feet; a shame, as the Fischer gear is cheaper!

Are you 'Classic' a 'Skater' or both?

I´ve never seen skis like you describe being sold here.

I've been out skiing the past few days and noticed my skis (Rossingnol Backcountry 70) were made in Czech Republic. So they are probably available there, just not as popular as touring skis.