Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

143 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Quick question for you, can anybody recommend a good place to go for an evenings cross-country after work. The missus is quite keen to get out and start this, since we had a half day lesson last weekend and she thrashed me.

As stated we are beginners so nothing too hilly.

Cheers

Good for the missus!

Several places have floodlights which are switched on at varying times.

Lenggries (you can eat in the tennis centre where the loipe starts if you finish early enough.)

Moosham

Grosshartpenning

I also know skiers who go to other places to ski and just use a head torch.

A few things to be aware of:

some places ask you not to use torches because of scaring wildlife,

most of these places are run by clubs, they have an honesty box to pay for grooming the track and the electricity for the lights, dropping a few Euros in will be appreciated,

it will be cold.

Hi Bron

Thanks for that. I am going to take a mooch out to Lenggries today to see where the start of the trail is in the daylight.

About Moosham and Grosshartpenning are they fllodlight lopies as well? (also what arethey near I can not find them on my map...duh).

Lastly, were you on the triathlon threads last year? and if so are you still swimming?

Cheers

Steve

Apologies, I didn't post links on Saturday - too busy waxing my skis.

Info for Lenggries - under "schneebericht" you will find a list of loipen which are open. There's plan as pdf on there too.

Grosshartpenning - head out of Holzkirchen towards Bad Tölz and it's on the left (have a look on German google maps). Usually lit 7-9pm.

Moosham - lights are in Schalkofen 6-8pm.

Hartpenning and Moosham request that you don't use head torches because of the wildlife.

Yes, I did triathlon last summer. I row and tri (slowly) in summer and ski in winter. This year I'm adding a winter triathlon to the mix. Not much time for swimming at the moment but I will try to start again regularly in March.

I live almost on the Loipe which runs to Hartpenning. I was on the Roggersdorf stretch yesterday. The stretch from Holzkirchen to Hartpenning has not this year been laid, much to my chagrin.

It depends on whather you mean skating which is harder or "klassisch". I can't comment whether the skating Loipe is open or not, but the traditional Loipe near us is half laid. You can do the full run from Holzkirchen to Roggersdorf which takes about two hours if you aren't fit like me. Conditions aren't brilliant but doable. Parts the grass shows through.

There are many "Loipe" near us. One in Dietramszell is beautiful, also one round Kirchsee.

These are all down the A8, turn off to Bad Tölz B13 road. If you want advice about the Hartpenning conditions PM me.

I'd forgotten about Glonn. How long and hilly is the loipe there? Any idea what state it's in at the moment?

Hartpenning is supposed to be ok but a bit icy and Lenggries have updated their website this morning and it appears that the floodlit track is still open.

Hi there,

Anyone up for some XC-sking tomorrow (Sunday)? I was thinking about the loipe near Wolfratshausen or Lenggries, something accesible by public transport. I think that, by tomorrow, trail conditions should be ok.

Mathias

I'd forgotten about Glonn. How long and hilly is the loipe there? Any idea what state it's in at the moment?

Hartpenning is supposed to be ok but a bit icy and Lenggries have updated their website this morning and it appears that the floodlit track is still open.

NO idea right now but looking at Munich I'd say it shoud be good ...

long? There are 3 loipe the 5km one is not really hilly you go up the hill at the far side but it's easy to manage for beginners...

the other 2 loipe are hillier than BZ or Ettal but again nothing like Husel ...

Well everywhere seems to be groomed in Hartpenning, or was yesterday, including the skating link to Holzkirchen.

Lenggries only has the 2k round; no idea why the rest is closed (avalanche danger?)

Dietramszell can't groom today.

Does anyone know if any of the loipen in the city are groomed? I'm assuming that the Baureferat has better things to do at the moment, like clearing the streets, but you never know.

Snow is falling... I need to inaugurate some new cross country skis... Any volunteer(s) wanting to come along during next week end for a season start? I am not very good at it but looking for a good time. Hopefully there will be enough snow!

Grosshartpenning have 2.5 km groomed.

Further afield, Seefeld/Leutasch is open: http://www.seefeld-langlauf.at/

Grosshartpenning have 2.5 km groomed.

Further afield, Seefeld/Leutasch is open: http://www.seefeld-langlauf.at/

Bron, I'm mulling-over the XC Skis again; a bit earlier this year! Groomed trails sound a bit organised for me, I mean, I can imagine being harrangued by the locals for ruining their pristine grooves. I can see 'waldbashing' would be more my cup-'o-char :ph34r:

They've made yet more loipe on the Hartpenning stretch this morning as I drive past it on kindergarten run every day. I can't do any this year as I have a bad shoulder.

So, anyone got an idea how far 'north' (from the Gebirge) the decent snow cover has reached thus far?

Bron, I'm mulling-over the XC Skis again; a bit earlier this year! Groomed trails sound a bit organised for me, I mean, I can imagine being harrangued by the locals for ruining their pristine grooves. I can see 'waldbashing' would be more my cup-'o-char

Well I wouldn't worry about ruining the tracks, it would be unlikely that you would unless you did anything completely stupid and they do have to be re-groomed every couple of days anyway. It's more of a problem when people try to walk in them.

If you want to just go through the woods, then you'll need your own skis. Ebay isn't a bad place to start - there are plenty on there and they are cheap which is fine because you'll probably put a few scratches in them. Otherwise head somewhere where you can hire a pair to try them out. We're probably going to train in Grosshartpenning this weekend, so I could lend you skis then, but I think you'll need your own boots.

They've made yet more loipe on the Hartpenning stretch this morning as I drive past it on kindergarten run every day. I can't do any this year as I have a bad shoulder.

Great, but sorry to hear about your shoulder.

So, anyone got an idea how far 'north' (from the Gebirge) the decent snow cover has reached thus far?

Well the Garmisch downhill ski area is supposed to open this coming weekend. I think coverage in other places is variable. Lenggries don't have any cross-country tracks groomed yet.

for somewhere a wee bit differnt. try bayerischerwald. ...great dressed trails for skate and classic.

some floodlight eve ones too. and once here snow stays!

hour half-2hours from munich...so good for weekend trip.

trains and public transport not bril.

http://www.langlaufen-bayrischer-wald.de/de/index.html

trails beautiful...and empty..almost always gliding along on my own.

on second thoughts dont come...stay south, withfull car parks and crowds

:rolleyes:

only joking!

ski hire in Grafenau. op[en sundays I believe, which is itslef a bit of a miracle up here.

http://www.letsgo.com/15573-germany-travel-guides-bayern_bavaria-bayern_bavaria-bayerischer_wald_bavarian_forest-bayerischer_wald_national_park-c

Most places here don´t have huge crowds or full car parks for langlauf either.

For anyone in Munich, Gorsshartpenning will be switching on the floodlights next week.

I agree though that the Bayerische Wald is great, I assume that you have tried Bodenmais? They had tracks groomed into April last season.