Cross-country skiing in/near Munich (Langlaufen)

142 posts in this topic

post-16-1100792468.jpg
Hi Folks, just as it says in the title, can anyone recommend any cross country skiing trails near Munich? I'm thinking the Austro-German border area, Spitzing See, Tegernsee, Garmisch, Lengries, Bayerischezell. And any resources for finding out about trails?

And what about hire of Langlauf skiis in Munich? Which shops do that and how much does it cost to hire for a weekend?

Any other pertinent things to know about? I've done cross country skiing once in my life about 10 years ago. But this weekend me and gf intend to give it a go. We really don't have a clue. But it's gotta be easier than that snowboarding lark, right?

Am about to do some googling for info. Will post any stuff I find. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips, they'd be gladly received! Thanks.

Ah yes, my area of expertise.

Go to: steinmandl.de

...and click on Loipen on the left. Most villages on the border have several Loipen: Lengries for example has a pretty good one near the ski centre. Oberammergau I would recommend, they are a few from there to Schloß Linderhof and Kloster Ettal that are super and according to oberammergau.de - schneebericht they (all 60km) are open and in good condition.

Last week there was a track through the Englischer Garten, but not this week. If there's another dump of snow they will probably reset it.

Hiya

don't forget alpennationalpark.de - skilang

...and think about Cheimgau Wintersport.

The snow is still good in Reit Im Winkl (I work with someone who lives there) and look at the Reit Im Winkl website for snowcams etc.

Leutasch / Seefeld is considered the big Langlauf centre round these parts. 300km loipen. It's a bit further away (south of Mittenwald in Austra) but worth a look for a weekend.

Herr Indoors was at Bad Tölz for Langlauf last Sunday and said that it was very busy but he tends to go more towards BGL seeing as he is from there.

Sunday might be your better day though as rain is forecast for Saturday but fresh snow on Sunday.

Katrina

PS I don't ski but hope I've helped anyway.

Thanks for the tips! So no ideas about ski hire from Munich then? I couldn't find anything on the www so I called into town during lunch. Three big sports shops all told me they don't hire out stuff but that everyone hires at the resort. What worries me is a friend told me a while back that the resort hire places are closed on a Sunday!!! I find that kind of difficult to believe, but at the same time it does sound like Bavaria!

What I did find is a nifty little guide book and it looks like it'll be either Miesbach, Schliersee, or Bayrischzell. All of them have "Loipen" within walking distance from the train station.

Is that the blue book from Alpen Verlag?

The ski hire places are definitely open Sunday. I always go on Sundays.

It's blue, and it's from the Alpen-Verlag. But to call it a "book" would be generous. It's actually a fold out leaflet with 12 A5 sized area maps.

That's reassuring to know about the Sunday hire. Thanks Mr. Mystery!

Here's some further feedback about a trip I just did:

Go with the BOB (this was mentioned in the snowboarders thread) - Bayerischer Oberland Bahn. €20 for a ticket for 5 of you all weekend. So that's even cheaper than the €28 Schönes Wochenende ticket.

We went to Bayerischezell. Langlaufen ski hire there is €10 or €11 for the day - depending on which shop you choose. Shops are open from 8.30 am til 12 noon - even Sundays! They open again for ski return from about 3pm. So get their before noon if you want to hire! Those prices include the skis, sticks, and boots. Other types of skiing/snowboarding are more expensive.

As mentioned above, some cross country skiing tracks (German: Loipen) which are reachable via train from Munich include those at:

Miesbach, Schliersee, Spitzingsee, Tegernsee, Lenggries, Bayrischzell, and Sudelfeld

Also as mentioned above, this website gives up-to-date reports on the snow conditions of the tracks in some of these places: steinmandl.de - Loipen Zustand

Another up-to-date track conditions site I found is that for Tegernsee:

http://service.tegernseertal.de/winter/#Langlauf

What would be really nice would be some website which collates all the track conditions for all areas in southern Bavaria. The downhillers have PowderHausen.com but there doesn't seem to be anything equivalent for the Langlaufers.

you forgot reit in winkl, which is higher and has a better reliability for snow (how else can i translate schneesicher?). it's also one of the training places for the german teams. it takes a ittle longer in the car but then its not so full (according to my wife whos the cross country skier in our family) for a web site check www.schneehoehen.de for links and info.

I did this years ago in Jachenau. Beautiful experience but God did my body ache like mad after!

What would be really nice would be some website which collates all the track conditions for all areas in southern Bavaria.

Sounds like there's a gap in the market that some IT whizkid could fill...

would anyone be up for trying this out in a group some time? I've always wanted to have a go, did Telemark in Norway and it's brill fun :D

Mittenwald is nice for Cross Country - trails are groomed for skating. There is a booth that rents equipment as soon as you come out of the Bahnhof.

Lessons are offered as well.

http://www.skischulevereinigte.de/preisliste.htm - site is in German

Rentals cost 10 to 13 Euros per day

I'm up for going there on a Bayern Ticket with some people - anyone want to go?

If you go to the "Reise Zentrum" in the Hauptbahnhof you can pick up two brochures for free. They give comprehensive details about all the cross-country ski trails near Munich which are reachable by train and/or bus. One brochure is for Oberbayern (Oberammergau bis Ruhpolding), the other is for Allgäu (Füssen bis Lindenberg). They very good and well worth getting.

They're published by Pro-Bahn Bayern and are described on the webpage: Pro-Bahn Bayern - Publikationen. Unfortunately the brochures are not available in electronic format.

See also: previous TT cross-country skiing trips

post-16-1138714621.jpg

Just to warn anyone thinking of going to Oberammergau: this coming weekend (4th and 5th) is the König-Ludwig-Lauf, so for part of each day the tracks will be full of mad racers.

Bron

Hi, anybody knows if I can rent cross-country ski set in Hausbergbahn in Garmisch on Sunday?

A friend of mine recommended this place to us beginners.

Thanks!

Bayerishzell has a school and hire possibilites and is flat for beginners.

http://www.bayrischzell.de/winterurlaub/sc...penbericht.html

http://www.skischule-bayrischzell.de/

Ettal is also flat (with hilly loipe too) and at 850m often has good snow when others places don't.

Also a tip for hill lovers. Rusel just behind Deggendorf ... goes to 1025m so good snow and as just off A92 not so far as you might think...