Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Car disposal and scrap yards

54 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there are such places are car scrapyards/dismantlers in Munich or even in Germany?

Do they exist here?

I have been here nearly 10 years and as far as I can remember I have not seen one during my travels.

How does a person look for an old car part or is it not allowed to put something reclaimed on your car here?

Is it against TÜV regulations, illegal?

Topics merged by admin

Hi can you tell me where or better still a name or link please.

What should I be searching for if I want to find such a place?

What should I be searching for if I want to find such a place?

For future reference, if you type in the name of the thing that you are looking for in the search box then it'll bring back matching results. If the words you try don't work then attempt a variation on those words.

I typed scrapyard into the box and got nothing except your thread. So then I typed scrap yard into the box and got Car disposal - scrap yards. As Eurovol pointed out, searching for junkyard brings up the thread he mentioned. Tis not rocket surgery.

Evening,

Just wondered if anyone knows how to get rid of a car here in Munich.

Its an old uk one with no MOT...but runs great so must be worth something to Jo Scrappy...or whatever thay are here.

Would be quite happy just for someone to pick it up!

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Topics merged by admin

Autoverwertung. Be prepared to have to pay the scrap dealer to take it off your hands, there are rules these days about scrapping cars, not just in Germany, and the old days of cars piled up cars leaking fluids into the ground, guarded by a mean dog and a tattooed thug are gone*. Now they have to recycle them properly, so they charge you for their labour! Whether they actually do this is of course debatable. There is some rule about giving it back to a dealer, but I suspect they may not take an old British banger!

*The dog and the thug may still be there though.

You shouldn't need to pay for disposing of an old car as steel is so expensive now. I got 50 euro from someone who took my old car away in a deal arranged through Stimmer & Sohn, a garage I go to regularly. This person would have paid 250 euro if the engine still worked (2.0 litre Audi 80). You speak German? If not get a Bavarian sounding friend to help you and go to a few small local garages and offer him a deal - he keeps 50% of whatever he can get for your car. It might work.

Note: If you leave it unregistered on the street and the police put a red circle on the driver's window then remove the car sharpish as it quickly gets very expensive.

I crashed our car on the highway last week and we decided not to have it repaired as the repairs would cost almost as much as the current market value of the car. The Ford garage where we've got it sitting right now isn't really intrested in helping us get rid of it (as we decided not to buy a Ford again), so if anybody knows a junk yard or a dealer or maybe a garage that buys up wrecks for spare parts we'd appreciate the info! It's a 2002 Ford Galaxy that was in great condition until I smashed it :( , the front's totally wrecked (front bumper, left & right front wings, hood, lights, radiator & grill, aircon-system, pre-heater and loads of other parts I wouldn't know about) but apparently the motor (2.0 TDi) itself is still running and the garage said the frame wasn't bent, no windows broken either, no internal damage ... Thanks guys.

Topics merged by admin

sounds like ebay is your best bet, if its got a working engine and gear box.got to be worth 400 euros at least...

They even pick it up for you free of charge...

http://www.autoverwertung-muenchen.de/

wir holen Ihr Fahrzeug kostenlos ab, wenn Ihr Altauto folgende Punkte erfüllt:

- Ihr Fahrzeug sollte noch rollfähig sein (auf 4 Rädern stehen)

- Ihr Auto darf nicht ausgebrannt sein

- das Altauto darf nicht ausgeschlachtet sein

we'll collect your car free of charge if the following points are fulfilled:

- if it still can move (it's on four wheels)

- so long it's not burnt out

- the old car is not cannibalised (i.e. everything ripped out)

Thanks guys, right, ebay is alwas an option I guess, but I think I'll give this Autoverwertung a try first! Thanks!

Thanks guys, I spoke to both the Autoverwertung-München ad Schindelar and they're both going to make me an offer after viewing the car, now they only have to offer enough ... thanks!