Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 days free...please recommend "somewhere" to go

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

a friend of mine and I would like to spend the long week-end between the 2nd and the 5th of June..."somewhere" outside Wurzburg. Ideally we would prefer not to spend too much money, so

- The place should be reachable with regional trains in a "reasonable" amount of time (<6 hours)

- It can also be outside Germany (France or Italy, for example), as long as there are still Europa-spezial tickets available

- Cheap (but not crappy) accommodation shouldn't be too difficult to find (no hostel dorms, however)

For example, we though about "Europa-Park"...is it worth to spend 2 days there, staying overnight? And then maybe visit Strasbourg...

Thanks a lot for the tips

One idea depending upon if you like nature, hiking, hills - You can spend 1-4 days on peak of a hill (you can hike to the top or take lift) in Southern Baveria. check this

Why not Egypt?

Indeed. ;)

- The place should be reachable with regional trains in a "reasonable" amount of time (<6 hours)

Inside Germany: Berlin or Konstanz. Outside Germany: Switzerland (Basel / Zürich). Indeed doing the latter by ICE on one of the PH's for 28 Eur return :) . Basel you can also twin with Freiburg im Breisgau.

Brussels, Belgium maybe within that time limit and you can often get good ticket offers, usually sparsely populated except the Aachen / Köln bit - great high energy place for a short break.

Aside from dorms, a lot of hostels also do private rooms and they are often very good value forc money.

Thuringia -> Erfurt, Weimar, Wartburg, Thuringian Forest

Harz mountains -> Quedlinburg, Wenigerode, Goslar

Both trips combine culture and nature. Erfurt is the best preserved medieval city in Germany, Weimar a heart of German culture, the Wartburg is a nice castle, and the Thuringian Forest is quite nice for a walk.

The towns in the Hart mountains are medieval gems, especially Quedlinburg, and the Harz is a very interesting mountain range.

Hey GordonGekko,

We did just that over the Easter break - we had two nights in Strasbourg, followed by two days (one night) in Rust to visit Europa-Park. Strasbourg is worth a visit, the cathedral is just wonderful, although the city is not cheap concerning food and drink. I can recommend you the hotel we stayed in if you like - good price and central, but not without it's faults either I suppose - I won't moan about it here though!

I don't recommend Europa-Park for any less than two days. As mentioned we spent two days and one night there and we only just covered the main area of the park - the place is huge! It was so much fun though, there is something for everyone; thrill-seekers as well as family rides and shows. We didn't get to see any shows because of the above-mentioned reason, so focused on ride-time instead. I suppose it didn't help being there over Easter when everyody is off work and the weather was fantastic, so I guess that contributed to the queue time. I imagine it would be the same over the June break too. The guesthouse we stayed in by Europa-park (just a 1km walk) was brilliant, modern and comfortable, and the hosts were so accommodating. Again, I can recommend you the place we stayed - feel free to get in touch!

4 days is enough for Strasbourg and Europa-park, but only just! If you're after something relaxing I wouldn't recommend it, otherwise it's great fun! We travelled by car though, so I'm afraid I can't be of help concerning trains.