British Food Shops

13 posts in this topic

I have used the search function and was surprised not to find a thread on this. Off to Kiel on Wednesday and just checked online to see what British Shops there are. I found Sandy's Foods on Königsweg 1, Kiel and plan to visit. Also thought it might be worthwhile asking forum members if they have any recommendations of other shops in Kiel offering British goods?

Ok - Thanks for such a quick response! Can you tell me if car parking is nearby Sandy's?

Almost forgot to mention,i have been buying my pies,pickles,bread,biscuits etc etc for the last 15 years or so!

You should be able to find a place,usually right in front of the shop,say hello to Günther from me!(BOB from Padenstedt)

Will say Hello for you no problem! Seems like I need to take quite a bit of money with me! Thanks again!

You certainly will!I take my wife she stops me spending too much on silly things like cadbury creme eggs(yuk!) or wagon wheels that have shrunk so much since i was a lad ;)

Wagon wheels? I can't remember the last time I had one of those.... Another item added to me list.... :D Even if they are getting smaller...

Went to Kiel yesterday and hoped for some last chance mince pies at Sandy's...

Shop on Königstr. is now shut.

A bit of internet searching shows them now

some 30 Km north east of Kiel centre.

(see FB page)

Krummbeker Weg 1-3

Lindenplatz

24217 Höhndorf

Note : ONLY  Fridays 09:00 - 19:00

Leaves me only with my rare trips into Hamburg...

No shop pies then this year (and no mincemeat left either)

pah, humbug

Bit off topic, but I had a go at homemade mincemeat and mince pies for the first time this year. Tastes fantastic! The mincemeat was a doddle and takes about 1/2 day all-in. Just need to perfect the pies now... I overfilled them and the filling spilled out everywhere, sticking the pies to the tray!

Mince pies taste even better in January and February when all the Christmas goodies are long gone! And yes, mince is really easy to make, most recipes requiring minimal or even no cooking and even the simplest taste good!

I find you only need a small teaspoonful for each pie, and remove them from the tray the moment you take them out of the oven to avoid the superglue effect.

They freeze and reheat beautifully especially if you just partly bake them and then freeze.

Mmmmmmm, with a nice glass of proper Irish coffee ....