Registration in Berlin (Anmeldung)

59 posts in this topic

Sometimes someone will request a contract, but in general you should not need one to register your residence. Your problem lies elsewhere: as a non EU-citizen, you do not qualify for a visa for unskilled work. You need to find a job where the company will sponsor your visa. A coffee shop job won't do the trick.

edit: I thought I'd check your profile in case you were Canadian, as then you'd be able to get a working holiday visa. I see, however, that you seem to think “white“ is a nationality. Got a white passport then, have we? Back to school before you can get a visa for qualified work here, methinks.

Yes indeed, ruapehu - just seen that after you mentioned it.

Hagendays: your post is strange anyway and I doubt you´re a native English speaker..ok, but what on Earth do you mean by " is it possible to be a resident of Berlin with a confirmation letter? " Confirmation from whom??? :blink:

My friends may be unable to give me (sic) contract? For the coffee shop job?

Hagendays: you need to come clean on your nationality ( to start with )...there are rules in Germany about who can work here and other rules ; eg health insurance requirements...

I´m afraid it may not be as easy as you hope. Normally. I´d wish you all the best but your profile...jeez, man. Grow up.

To clarify:

I'm from the US living in New York City at the moment. Thanks for the feedback, profile has been updated.

I have friends who will let me stay with them in Berlin for a couple of months before I find a more permanent space.

My job is indeed sponsoring my visa. I am wondering if it is mandatory to have a lease agreement to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment visa. It looks like I will be able to be registered as living in Berlin with a letter from the people I am staying with stating that I live there. I'm not sure if I will run into problems at the Aüslanderbehörde if I attempt to apply for the visa without an official lease.

Does anyone have experience applying for a residence for the purpose of employment visa coming from the US?

I would be very surprised if the authorities granted you a work visa as a barista or any other restaurant service job.

Registration is no problem: a note from the people you are staying with will suffice. But without the work visa, you can only stay for 90 days and you aren't allowed to work (not even for free).

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello,

I have just moved to Berlin and need to complete the "Anmeldung". For the first month I am staying at a friend's place, and my friend has offered me to use his address in the Anmeldung form.

We have read that there has been a recent change in the law, and now the owner of the apartment has to confirm that it is true that I live in that apartment, however my friend is not the owner: he is the tenant of the apartment.

So here are my questions:

1. Who must confirm I live in that address? Is it the owner, or can my friend (the tenant) confirm this?
  2. What does this "confirmation" look like? Is it some official form or a letter from the owner/tenant? In the second case, what information should he write in that letter?
  3. How is this "confirmation" given to the Bürgeramt? Should I go to the Bürgeramt already with it or should I send it by mail?

Thank you for your help.

Nicolas

Hey Iye

This may or may not be helpful to you... but do you know how new this law is? I moved to Berlin on December 1st and registered on December 3rd. I did not have to show any kind of proof of where I was living. I literally just went in there with my German passport and my aunt's address and I was set.

So unless this is new as of a couple weeks ago, you don't need to prove anything. Or maybe you do and they didn't make me do it because I am so charming. lol just kidding. But yeah, you might just want to try.

Also, they say you need an appointment but if you go in there FIRST THING in the morning they will hook you up. Well, that's how it worked for me at least. So you might want to try that as well.

If you have any other questions, let me know! I will be happy to help!

To Others,

I read that some of you are worried about registering in 7 days or two weeks etc. I have a friend that was in Berlin for 6 months and never registered lol. So don't even stress... It's probably not the brightest idea NOT to register but if you don't do it fast you will be fine.

You sometimes need your registration for other stuff, so don't delay too much.

There are very few offices that take walk-ins these days, but you can often grab a spot that someone else cancelled on www.berlin.de/verwaltungsfuehrer/dienstleistung/120686/terminall/

I did the waiting thing once in Prenzlauer Berg, (granted I was there at 8:20 and not at 8 when it opened) and it took 4 hours. Definitely try to grab an appointment, it reduces the annoyance immensely.

As for the address, you can just have your friend write a letter - I did it that way once. The most recent time I had a subtenant lease, but also nothing official from the landlord.

Thank you for your answers, josh303 and polexa.

Apparenty this law is really new, taking effect from the 1st january 2015. I first read about it in this website (the link is in spanish). I have asked them for a link to the official source, and I'll post it here as soon as they reply. Here is the translation of what they say in that website regarding Anmeldung:

Changes in the Anmeldung. Those who register in the German census from 2015 should ask the landlord to send a confirmation to Bürgeramt within two weeks, so as to prevent fraudulent use of the address.

Nicolas

Just to make sure the information is also accessible in this thread: Some Bürgerämter have started to see people on an "appointment only" basis. This thread: Attaining Anmeldung - Frustation with Burgeramt gives more information on that state of affairs.

However, there are still quite a few Bürgerämter that do take walk-ins, and don't insist on an appointment. Here is the list (as of 21.09.2014, copied from the thread above):

(Listed in the order they appear on this page, check for opening times, as they differ from one Amt to another)

* AG Parkraum Fröbelstraße Haus 6 - Bezirksamt Pankow

* Bürgeramt 1 (Kreuzberg), Yorckstr. - Bezirksamt Friedrichshain - Kreuzberg (2 of 5 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt 1 (Neu-Hohenschönhausen) Egon-Erwin-Kisch-Straße - Bezirksamt Lichtenberg

* Bürgeramt 2 (Lichtenberg) Normannenstr. - Bezirksamt Lichtenberg

* Bürgeramt 3 (Friedrichsfelde) Otto-Schmirgal-Straße - Bezirksamt Lichtenberg

* Bürgeramt 3 (Friedrichshain) Frankfurter Allee - Bezirksamt Friedrichshain - Kreuzberg (2 of 5 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt 4 (Alt-Hohenschönhausen) Große-Leege-Straße - Bezirksamt Lichtenberg

* Bürgeramt Blaschkoallee - Bezirksamt Neukölln

* Bürgeramt Lankwitz - Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf

* Bürgeramt Märkisches Viertel - Bezirksamt Reinickendorf (2 of 5 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt Rathaus Neukölln - Bezirksamt Neukölln

* Bürgeramt Rathaus Reinickendorf - Bezirksamt Reinickendorf (2 of 6 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt Reinickendorf-Ost - Bezirksamt Reinickendorf (2 of 5 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt Sonnenallee - Bezirksamt Neukölln

* Bürgeramt Steglitz - Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf

* Bürgeramt Tegel - Bezirksamt Reinickendorf (2 of 5 days no appointment necessary)

* Bürgeramt Zehlendorf - Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf

* Bürgeramt Zwickauer Damm - Bezirksamt Neukölln

Also, ALL of the Mobile Bürgeramt will take you without an appointment, but I didn't bother to list them, as all of them have opening times that are difficult to remember (e.g. 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month, or once a week, or...).

As you can see, there are still quite a few that operate without appointments. Given that you can go to any Bürgeramt in the city to do your business, i.e. you're not bound to go to the one nearest you geographically, there are still quite a few options open. Granted, that means getting up early and being there before they open up, and being prepared to wait - but certainly do-able.

We have read that there has been a recent change in the law, and now the owner of the apartment has to confirm that it is true that I live in that apartment

The change in law comes into effect on 01 May 2015, according to what I've read it's a written confirmation that *must* come from the landlord.

(Sources here, only in German)

Hello the.frollein,

Thank you for providing your search results, that's just what I was looking for. I have checked a couple of links and, as you say, it looks that this will only be effective from 1st May 2015.

Nicolas

Regardless of that, many of the registration offices require a copy of the lease or some other documentation that you actually live at that address. There doesn't seem to be any consistency or pattern, however. You might be asked for proof or you might just get rubber-stamped. There's no way to tell in advance.

Hello everyone! I have read that now in order to register, you need to bring a written statement from the landlord confirming that you have moved into the flat, in addition to the rental contract with your name on it. I am already registered at my place, but now my partner (with whom I am married) and I want to live together in my flat.

What documents will she need to provide in order to register at my place? Does she need the statement from the landlord, as well as her name on the contract? Or does the fact that we are married change this? We have not yet registered as married to the Bürgeramt yet, should we take care of this before trying to get her registered?

Many thanks for your help!

Hallo Paupaulina,

I arrived in Berlin -from USA- on August 29th-2015. On the 31 of August I made an appointment online with the Burgeramt Office to register my residence. My appointment was for October 29th, 2015!!!. I tried to go early, but I was told that now every registration is by appointment. So, almost 2 months wasted.

On October 29th I went with a german friend -just in case- and the whole registration was done in 20 minutes. I showed my passport and the rent lease, -contract from my Landlady- The lady at the Burgeramt spoke english but is was good idea to bring somebody who spoke German. No need for payments.

The registration is important to open a bank account, to register for the gym, to recieve corresponce, to pay with credit or debit card,....etc. Today I got my Tax Number amd my bank account welcome letters!

It is also important for: To apply for a Resident Permit -for those people from out of Scheng? Not sure of right spelling, area-.The Auslander-Behorde will not even look at your case if you did not register with the Burgeramt.

I request an appointment with the AuslanderBehorde and I was given December, 16th 2015. However, contrary to the Burgeramt Office, you can go Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, early in the morning (I was told 4:30 am by the security people) to get a ticket for the chance to be seeing the same day after 7AM. It is closed on Fridays.

I also wrote an e-mail to the AuslanderBehorde but I'm still waiting their response. So just forget that route.

Right now I'm having issues -meanning problems- with the health insurance. I need to provide to the AuslanderBehorde proof that I have health insurance. Because I never worked in Germany and I do not have a work contract at this time, I'm not elegible for public insurance -lower fees-, and when I tried to get private insurance, they are asking proof of my residence permit?? which I do not have one yet!

Did you resolve your issues? 

Please let us know if the health insurance or the AuslanderBehorde was an issue for you and how did you resolve it?

Hope this help,

Wilfredo

No, it does not help. You registered on the 29th of October and they changed the registration requirements from the 1st of November.

Hello all,

My question is has anybody gone to the Bürgeramt recently, sometime after November 1st? 

The reason I ask is this. My German friend was helping me translate the Anmeldung application form and, as suggested from Toytown and other sites, wrote a letter stating we were living together with the relevant information. I was going to take the form and the letter to the Bürgeramt and thought all was set.  However, when visiting the site berlin.de site we noticed this new section which indicates some sort of recent rule change from the past:

Bei Vorsprache ab dem 01.11.2015 zusätzlich: Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers (Vermieter) 

Ab dem 1. November 2015 ist der Wohnungsgeber verpflichtet, dem Meldepflichtigen den Einzug innerhalb von zwei Wochen nach dem Einzug schriftlich mit Unterschrift zu bestätigen. Die Bestätigung muss folgende Daten enthalten: Name und Anschrift des Wohnungsgebers, Einzugsdatum, Anschrift der Wohnung und Namen der meldepflichtigen Personen. Die Vorlage eines Mietvertrages ersetzt nicht die Einzugsbestätigung.
Ein Muster für die Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers steht Ihnen unter "Formulare" zur Verfügung. 

Now there is a template on the site which, from my understanding, needs to be filled out by the apartment owner. Does anybody know anything about this and if it's needed?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

7 hours ago, piknyc said:

Hello all,

My question is has anybody gone to the Bürgeramt recently, sometime after November 1st?

The reason I ask is this. My German friend was helping me translate the Anmeldung application form and, as suggested from Toytown and other sites, wrote a letter stating we were living together with the relevant information. I was going to take the form and the letter to the Bürgeramt and thought all was set.  However, when visiting the site berlin.de site we noticed this new section which indicates some sort of recent rule change from the past:

Now there is a template on the site which, from my understanding, needs to be filled out by the apartment owner. Does anybody know anything about this and if it's needed?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I posted a link to this information, just 3 posts before yours.  Yes it is required by law now.  You can read more here:  http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/353575-important-change-in-laws-regarding-registration-and-deregistration/