American High School Diploma = Hauptschule?

103 posts in this topic

I decided that I wanted to get a German certificate to make myself really employable in my field - child care. One of the requirements to attending Erzieherinschule is a "realschule" diploma. I have a high school diploma and 2 years of university, so I didn't think this would be a problem...

I was turned down on the grounds that I didn't have enough science or math credits in high school and given a document stating that my diploma is equivalent to a "hauptschule" dipoma. So if I want a childcare certificate I have to get my Realschulabschluss first. I'm 37 and running out of time in which to be hireable. Does anyone know of a way around this; can I appeal? Can I do both certificates at the same time? Any advice is welcome!

given a document stating that my diploma is equivalent to a "hauptschule" dipoma.

That can't be correct.

I think you're being screwed. I have no idea what your options are, however, I got recognized as gymnasium equivalent and enough to get me into uni here (TUM) on the basis of high school and two years of university. I would ask around about your different options.

But who to ask? This is the office you do those things in and as far as I know, there's no other. He claims it's just a simple matter of number of credits.

That can't be correct.

Sadly, it's true. And the worst part is that I have to do the complete RS thing, just to get a few math and science classes. It's ridiculous. He did make it a point to tell me several times how US standards are lower than German.

sure but they can't be that much lower. You do have to do at least grade 12 math and 2 sciences don't you?

12 math credits? I don't have that many, and a few classes I got less than a C in and he said they don't count at all.

He did make it a point to tell me several times how US standards are lower than German.

My German husband likes to make that claim, too. Not sure what makes him an expert, since he has never attended a US Uni.

It's ridiculous.

I agree.

TT will help you out with this, have no fear! Lots of knowledgeable people here, so you've come to the right place.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Thanks, mlovett!

This whole thing feels so bizarre. I never thought it'd even be a question, as I got into Uni and then never had a gpa lower than 2, and most semeters were over 3.0. I mean that was 20 years ago! Granted my hs grades are crap; I was going through a lot of personal crap at the time and grades just weren't my priority. *sigh* Guess my teachers were right. :)

Just out of curiosity, how much math/science did you have in high school? We had to take 4 years of math and 3 years of science at my district in order to graduate. To be honest though, those math courses could be really basic math courses.

I think it really does depend on what classes you took in high school. I had friends who stopped taking math in 10th grade and filled up with music, art and shop classes and others who took the "college prep" route with a foreign language, elective English and math classes. Because there is no national standard they have to look at the contents.

Even the US university my brother went to had course requirements for high school grads, and though he had taken 4 years of math he hadn't taken any foreign language he was required to take a foreign language (and pass it) in his freshman year. Not that he remembers any of it now.

Chad, does one need Calculus and Quantum Physics to do child care? Perhaps in Germany. :blink:

If you did 2 years of university classes, could you get an AA degree? That would count for something, generally as an Abi.

Chad, does one need Calculus and Quantum Physics to do child care? Perhaps in Germany.

Never said that. If the OP is required to have a Realschulabschluss to do the job they want to in Germany, then obviously the German officials would need to make sure that her own diploma is equivalent. My point is, is that it is possible to graduate in some districts with very little or basic math and science skills. I just re-checked the requirements from my own school, and there were 8 "fields", and one only needed to meet the requirements of 7 of the fields. It was quite possible to graduate with very little math at all as long as you fit the other "fields". In those cases, it is quite possible for the diploma to not be equivalent with a Realschulabschluss. Whether you think those requirements are needed for child care or not is quite irrelevant.

There is no freaking way they are going to equate your 12 yrs of school and 2 yrs of university to their 9 years of hauptschule. They think their schooling is much harder only because they make it so difficult for their students to pass. They force people here to do three years of an ausbildung for something most can learn in 6 months.

I have General Bio, Human Bio, Ele Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. I got D's in 3 of those, though. In my HS, we need just 2 credits of math and 1 of science. Lame, I know. :/

OK, my attempt at irony is deemed irrelevant. I'll just go back and check on the Space Shuttle [failed] launch again, then. :P

@aessa, your Ds are probably bothering them more than anything else. Maybe you will enjoy school more now? So going back might not be such a bad thing. :)

When I came here nearly 20 years ago the first thing my first employer told me was that my B.A. degree was not worth the paper it was printed on. Five years later every single one of those people worked for me and were lining up to kiss my ass.

I do SO love this kind of story. Kudos to you, Dan!!

They force people here to do three years of an ausbildung for something most can learn in 6 months.

That's just to provide employers with cheap labour though ;)

mlovett-I don't even mind taking those extra classes. The problem I have is that I'm expected to take the WHOLE realschule curriculum. Including...wait for it...English as a second language.