Violence in Syria

30 posts in this topic

We should ask the Government for what they need the Penis of this 13 - year old... yes I know it is really disgusting and no word can ever describe this cruel.

I have a wonderful 25 year friend taking part in these absolutely frightening protests too... Why isn't there a door to keep the love one's inside.

(CNN) In death, a 13-year-old becomes a symbol of Syrian opposition

But far from terrorizing people, the video appears to have made them only bolder...

Even children took to the streets, risking a similar fate, vowing that Hamza's blood was not spilled in vain...

Activists say these types of atrocities have been committed against the population for decades now by a regime that doesn't differentiate between ages.

The difference now, they say, is that it is being talked about.

Arwa Damon, who filed the above report, is apparently half Syrian. Another CNN reporter who must also have a personal interest in the events in Syria is Hala Gorani, whose parents are apparently from Syria.

Situation in Syria is tragic and also very difficult to understand for most of us.

I bet that if TT had been available in the Eighties much of the folks here would not have worried even for poor Nicaraguans, or for the consequencies on Sudanese people of the bombing of the Al-Shaifa plant, and many other bood baths as well (especially if committed by their democratic elected representatives).

I'll join in the thread necromancy here.

Not caring about them is not the word I would describe how I feel.

However if I was to write a 10 page article on the oppression in Syria and post it on TT it would not help the situation 1 iota.It also wouldn't mean that I care either.

I don't know about other people on here but I'm getting kind of anesthetized to the fact that oppression is often followed by revolution which often ends up in the country being ruled by people with the same despotic tendencies as the original rules just under a different name or religion.

So do I feel for the people in Syria?

Yes.

Is it going to give me sleepless nights or make me change my lifestyle?

No.

I think if most people were honest that is the answer they would give.

It could go either way, you could either look at what is happening in Egypt, it wouldn't be that difficult to argue that under Hozni Mubarak people had as much 'freedom' as they will have after Mohamed Morsi has been in power for a few more months. Or you could take recent news in Libya; the storming of Islamist militia compounds by civilians and their successful demands for them to disband.

Of course if you're talking about the wider improvement of rights for women, tolerance of other religions, secular government, those things are a long way off actually becoming reality.

I am more afraid of a post-Assad goverment. Currently Israel is jumpy with a new Egypt, and a possibly nuclear Iran within missle range to its east. To add an unstable government to it's north does concern me. I loathe the Assad goverment both father and son but the borders have been stable for the most part the last thirty years. Although it did and does use its proxy forces in Lebanon for fighting against Israel it did at least keep them in check.

Now after saying that I am not for arming the rebels.

What I read in Canada today.

http://www.canada.com/news/Fisher+Rising+tensions+between+Turkey+Russia+Syria+could+drag+everyone/7382931/story.html

The death toll from two massive blasts that ravaged the campus of a Syrian university has reached 87... the number of those killed in Tuesday's blasts at Aleppo University could rise even further because medics have collected unidentified body parts and some of the more than 150 injured are in critical condition. It remains unclear what caused the blasts, which hit the campus as students took exams, setting cars alight and blowing the walls off dormitory rooms...the explosions shattered the relative calm of the sprawling, tree-lined campus...The university is in the city's northwest, a sector still controlled by the government. Both activists and the Assad regime said those killed in Tuesday's blasts were mostly students taking their mid-year exams and civilians who sought refuge in the university dorms after fleeing violence elsewhere...Activists said a government warplane carried out two airstrikes on the university. To support their claim, they circulated a video they said showed a small trail of smoke left by a jet. They could not explain why the government would strike an area controlled by its forces...On Tuesday, Syria's U.N. Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari told a Security Council meeting on combatting terrorism that "a cowardly terrorist act targeted the students of Aleppo University" as they sat for their mid-terms. He said 82 students were killed and 152 were wounded.

Full story: Death toll from Syria university blasts reaches 87

Like everything else in this war this so hard to understand - terrible that whoever did this targeted these university students. More bright young people with their whole lives in front of them snuffed out. Like other tragedies where the world sat by, I don't really think we will even know the full extent of what is going on there until the dust has settled and we then look back on the events from the safety of a decade or two having passed. Crazy how we can't stop talking about the gun deaths in the US while what's happening in Syria doesn't even seem to make our radar anymore.

post-74394-13583488147376.jpg

The mass exodus of refugees has shown us that something really needs to be done now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3231482/Millions-Syrians-head-Europe-warns-huge-influx-refugees-fleeing-hell-HALF-country-move.html

IS are dangerous and I doubt they will stop once they have taken Syria.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230295/ISIS-making-using-chemical-weapons-Syria-Iraq-says-official-horrific-pictures-Kurdish-soldiers-injuries-caused-mustard-gas-emerge.html

The situation is just going to get worse and worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230131/Al-Qaeda-leader-Al-Zawahiri-slams-ISIS-illegitimate-says-leader-al-Baghdadi-does-not-deserve-caliph-hints-joining-forces-fight-against-West.html

Sitting back and doing nothing will just make the situation even worse. There is a great threat to the west and our governments really need to do something before the situation escalates.