Violence in Syria

30 posts in this topic

Who says TT isn't concerned? TT has many different opinions going in all directions.

And I think this batch of resignations is a great step forward.

Who says TT isn't concerned? TT has many different opinions going in all directions.

And I think this batch of resignations is a great step forward.

The heretofore lack of a thread on the Syria repression indicates a lack of interest- it's not as if Auntie and CNN haven't been covering the situation there.

At the moment we are all more concerned with the Royal Wedding! It's reaching fever pitch right now!

So if we are concerned we have to post emotional comments on TT inviting some dimwits to start a misinformed argument about it?

That would be a great byline for the forums:

Toytown Germany Discussion Forums - Misinformed dimwits responding to emotional provocations. :lol:

-----------

The interest in this topic could be increased 1000-fold if Israel could be dragged into it.

I am not of the opinion that we should be concerned of what is going on in Syria alone.

The same kind of repression is also going on in Bahrain, there the Saudi troops are doing the clean up. The Saudi's are good guys, they are with us. So it should be fine what they are doing.

I am tired of this hypocrisy. If we are concerned about the lives of people elsewhere, on 'humanitarian' grounds, let it be for all. Not just for selected locations, where we (the west, I am living in the western world and enjoying the fruits of exploitation, so the 'WE') will ultimately gain economically.

Bahrain Conflict

Shiia Mosque Destroyed

Bahrain trying Civilians before Military court

Prince of Bahrain will not attend the Royal wedding

Gosh, I just got done being concerned about Iraq. Next on the list is Afghanistan, then Libya, then Egypt, and Syria comes after that. They'll just have to wait their turn.

I think that most reasonable people hate to see this level of violence and repression - whichever country it is in. The question of 'concern' is, however, different because that pre-supposes that there is something that can be done about it (without making the situation worse).

Surely people aren't making comparisons between Syria and Libya, are they? (Yes, I know. Of course they are.)

The people are equally pissed, and for much of the same reasons, but otherwise the differences could hardly be more glaring.

- The Libyan intervention got the backing of much of the world. I mean let's face it. Next to nobody likes Gaddafi.

Any multilateral military action against the Syrian regime meanwhile won't get off the ground. It won't even make it past NATO, not to mention the AL.

- Syria is like Iraq, where seemingly every citizen constitutes their own ethnic group. One word: Shitstorm... No sane leader of any country wants to see that place deteriorate into another Libya.

Libya isn't really as tribal as Daffy would make you think it is. Those of us with memories of the last two weeks in February can remember how widespread protests against him were. Speaking of which...

- Protests in Syria have been confined mostly to Daraa until only recently. That movement is slowly building steam (in other words, stay tuned...) but is still not country-wide.

All of Libya practically exploded from the get-go.

- Defections within the Syrian regime and army have been relatively minor compared to Yemen and next to nothing compared to Libya (again, stay tuned...)

About 1/2 of Daffy's staff quit within the first week, along with the armies of Libya's east and Misurata. Things got militarized quick.

- Syria shares a border with Israel. Yup, that close...

- Ok fine... let's just get out with it: Syria has no oil.

Nobody wants to lay a finger on Syria, aside from maybe the Iranians. Let's just hope Bashar isn't a complete idiot and lets the steam off naturally.

It is not totally exact:; Syria has Oil but not as much as Lybia.

The price of petrol is 0,2 € /l here in Syria.

But getting to the point.

I know it is a big catastrophy and unforgivable shame of President Assad that he allows to kill his lovely and wonderful Syrians. Ok Go now to hell!!!

But there are lots of matters done by the European State Goverments and their Security Forces in an unacceptable way as well. Batons are applied by Syrian Forces as well.

I am thinking of the brutal violence of the Police in Stuttgart, London and Spain at the moment. I doubt so much that Europe is the symbol of Democracy.

Re the original post - IIRC there has been limited discussion in the "bombing Libya" thread. What I would say is missing is probably discussion of the "Arab spring" as a whole and working through where it will end up.

Violence in Syria

Why isn't TT concerned about it?

... cos we're more concerned about the threat of violence breaking out on some TT threads at the mo....

This is absolutely disgusting.

"His head was swollen, purple and disfigured. His body was a mess of welts, cigarette burns and wounds from bullets fired to injure, not kill. His kneecaps had been smashed, his neck broken, his jaw shattered and his penis cut off.

Hamza Ali al-Khateeb was only 13 years old."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/tortured-youngster-becomes-rallying-point-for-syrians-20110530-1fczc.html

Our man in Damascus reckons it's all quiet there and a lot of the footage on the web was being faked. As he was sat opposite me at the time, and I'm not sure our meeting room is being bugged by Syrian intelligence quite yet, I guess he was voicing an honest opinion. Informed by his media surely, but honest nonetheless.