Car is broken, we are stranded

46 posts in this topic

Hello, I was stranded just for an hour or so but I have a question about what ADAC Plus offers and not.

So today on A2 near Dortmund, my engine is totally failed, I have ADAC Plus so I called them and they schlepped my car to one of their partners that was close.

This is about 150 km from my home, so ADAC arranged to schlepped my broken car to a Werkstatt that I chose, they won't ship it home because the distance is too big and they transport the cars with a big LKW.

Q1: Ist this shipping cost free or should I expect to pay some extra?

The after about 1 hour of waiting, ADAC arranged for me a Mietwagen at the Dortmund Airport.

I payed a taxi 20 Euro to the airport which I u derstood I can claim, unfortunately I forgot to take the Rechnung als I was in shock.

The car that I got was reserved for 1 week, + extra insurance the amount I got for the car is around 470 euros.

I mentioned both to the lady at the rental car and at the schlepping service repeatedly that I do not want my car repaired or assessed by their garage or mechanic, and that I need the rental car only until tomorrow as I have a second car at home.

The rental car lady said that I can give back the rental car tomorrow if I want, but I couldn't understand who pays for the rental car, and if I need to pay the 470 Euro even if I give it back tomorrow.

Of course I will start reading the ADAC Plus terms right away.

Overall I am very happy with the ADAC Service, but let's see when they ship my car here as they said it could take a while.

You should get the basic cost of the hire car (not necessarily extra insurance) and the schlepping of the dead car. 

Things changed considerably over the last couple of years, according to the last guy who picked us up, and the ADAC provide less than they used to. We used always to get taken home, and the car taken to the local garage. Last time, they took it to the nearest werkstatt and we sorted our own transport with a borrowed car, but it broke down on the driveway of a private house, not on the side of the road.

Sadly I payed for the full insurance of the rented car that is 21/day x 7 days.

I think I will call ADAC today and tell them I will return the rental car today because of this and because we have a second car.

Dunno about the schlepping costs, ADAC said they would do it later with a big LKW as it is cheaper over long distances, but didn't say anything about the costs.

I guess I will call also to ask about this if they can provide some estimation.

When I had my accident, ADAC schlepped my car way outside of Munich because I couldn't tell them which workshop I wanted. I couldn't get in touch with Himself to ask him. I rode in the truck with him. The workshop people were very nice and one gave me a ride to the nearest SBahn. I only had EC card and the machine wouldn't accept it so I rode black back to Munich. I was only wearing my tai chi clothes with no coat and was freezing.:o

That workshop gave me a rough estimate which turned out to be correct after it was properly assessed and we just had them do the work. MInd you, the whole front in was smashed in. They did a more than excellent job and we are still pleased today. I think some kind of serendipity was involved that got our car out there to that excellent workshop.

We didn't need a rental but Himself did take a ride sharing car out there to get his valuables out of our car - accordion, etc. 

Finally my car was shipped Thursday before Easter.

The communication with the local company to which ADAC forced me to ship the car was really bad.

I called them from Monday to Thursday every day and told them that I am waiting my car from ADAC and if they can call me when it is there.

They said they can't.

Finally on Thursday I decided to pay them a visit, and lo and behold, my car was there since Tuesday so they were lying to me for 3 days!

Then I payed 130 Euro for 3 days of parking + 3.5 km of towing to my mechanic.