What made you leave Germany

550 posts in this topic

If you are thinking of coming back to the UK without a good job think very carefully.

With the UK economy stagnating, and much of the German one booming and with a long-term low in unemployment alongside, this is surely a no-brainer for all but the best-connected / most highly skilled people (in UK labour market terms) at the moment. Judging by this site (at least in the Rhein-Main board) the traffic is very much in the other direction.

I'd not worry about my UK prospects but here as more interesting here in the next decade :) . It just seems more exciting and with better prospects right now, and far, far better connected into the developing economies.

I hope she doesn't mind that I plucked this from the vent, but this had me laughing, and thought it fit here as well:

You know what, German state? FUCK YOU. Seriously. FUCK YOU!!! You bunch of scum sucking fucking assholes!!

I am so sick of your bullshit. You want to kick us while we're down? Fine. Kick us and demand some more papers while you are at it! You're happy to take all you can from us, but when we need anything at all, we're forced to bulldoze an acre of rainforest to supply us with the paper required for all of your bureaucratic pedantic processes!! And even after we've printed off a whole stack of your ever loving paper, you still deny us! &#$*^)@#%&*(@$^@*(^*$(&%()*!!!

Sometimes I really really HATE this country and how it's run

If I had no other reason not to live in Germany anymore, this would be reason enough;(hope you can read German)

http://www.pnp.de/region_und_lokal/landkreis_deggendorf/deggendorf/108959_Unnuetzes-Fahren-Unbekannter-zahlt-die-20-Euro-Strafe.html.

I recently left Germany for the reasons most people have explained but the initial high of being home in the UK has given way to something approaching despair. If you are thinking of coming back to the UK without a good job think very carefully. Yes it is nice to be able to speak English, and the British are a little friendlier and more open than the Germans (the overall impression is just a little), but other than that it is a very tough call. Everything is ridiculously expensive compared with krautland, and a lot of the country generally seems grotty and run down in comparison. Also if you are looking for a job, the economy here is awful and I mean really absolutely awful. There are virtually no jobs for young people and the ones going aren't paying well. I have found something but I'm on less than I was in Germany with higher costs. So think carefully about coming back to this place, it can be a right shithole at times.

Dead on, this is exactly what is going on here, and after reading a few posts like this, I dont seem to be the only one who feels this way. I have also been caught in this shit job with long hours and little pay, I am virtually enslaved, and before I leave for Germany at the end of Next month, I will be seeing the lawyers to begin a court case.

I dont feel like going into all the details about life here, but unlike most cities where the trash is kept hidden in back parts of the cities, here it walks the street with a Medal of Honour.

Bye Bye Dump.

My question for many of you disillusioned by Germany...was it your choice to move to Germany originally? If so, why? Moving to another country is more than moving from one place to another...you are moving to a whole new culture and if you don't give that culture and chance and constantly compare it to your "home," you are really not giving it a chance...no matter how long you live in Germany (or any other place). Chasing money is (to me) the worse reason to move unless it is only meant for a short period of time.

Getting upset about Germans that are not acting like Americans back home is a losing battle, why attempt it? Every country is going to have its pros and cons. Some talked about the education system, criticizing the German system...well, yes it may seem alittle restrictive, yet what I am seeing in the US is not optimum either. I currently live in Florida which so depressing...with no state tax, and a shrinking budget, the first thing that usually gets cut is education...our children may have less restrictions in what they can do, but they aren't getting the educational foundation to get there...more and more students graduating high school (at least in Florida), are not able to handle the college curriculum. Even community colleges which are meant for only the first two years are seeing students having to do 2 years of college prep work before they can even take a college credit class.

Maybe having more technical options earlier in their education, they can finish school and be able to work in something more than a fastfood restaurant.

Sometimes having too many options is not always the best if there is no roadmap to get there.

Okay, off my soap box. All I can say is if it was your choice to move to Germany is to give it another chance and delve into the culture and people. Stop comparing it to America (or any other country), and you may yet find the reason why you decided to move here. If it was not your choice, I still recommend that give Germany a chance and enjoy it while you are here and then go back to your country and have some fond memories.

Kris

Certain personal values only become apparent after they have been sufficiently contrasted against. To decide one has had enough does not necessarily mean disillusionment. People change as do places and nothing is final. One's satisfaction or dissatisfaction with a place is often misdirected feelings about one's own life. And so on, and so forth.

And then there are burritos.

I think it is good to blend in with the society that you wish to live in, but that does not mean you have to loose your values and viewpoints, in fact this would make interesting conversation, the whole point about countries is that they are different, and even in one country you will get different cultures. So trying to find a country and culture like oneself could take a lifetime. Most times people will like what they have grown up around, unless if it was a slum or worse.

So I guess that you need to think of what country and culture would be similar to what one wants to be surrounded with. And then go from there. Or you could just stay where you grew up and surround yourself with what you want.

Well its just a theory :)

Well, it´s a GOOD and correct theory, Allen! ( Disclaimer: I have a theory people under 40 spell "lose" as "loose"!!)...just a theory!! :D AAARRGGH!!! Over 40 here...!

Now, now , Allen!!! That´s my excuse , too! You KNOW it´s a generation thing!!! :). No worries, just teasing!

I think it's a good theory, too. Having grown up in both San Diego and southern Spain, I think I could do well anywhere the sun is usually shining, the people are laid back & friendly, and the food is good. B) edit: and the ocean, or other large body of water, is close.

I think it's a good theory, too. Having grown up in both San Diego and southern Spain, I think I could do well anywhere the sun is usually shining, the people are laid back & friendly, and the food is good. edit: and the ocean, or other large body of water, is close.

How do people spell " lose " in San Diego, mlovett? :D Please take my Angst seriously...

John, I'm over 40. :P People in SD wear flip-flops, all the time. No socks.

Something being discussed on another thread: the "one size fits all" approach to certain aspects of German life is another reason I couldn't live in Germany.

John, I'm over 40. People in SD wear flip-flops, all the time. No socks.

Something being discussed on another thread: the "one size fits all" approach to certain aspects of German life is another reason I couldn't live in Germany.

No socks? Not even " one size fits all"? First flight out over there!

We're back visiting Bangkok at the moment (we used to live here) and it's just so nice to be in a place with people who smile and say hello when you say hello to them. I'm so tired of people looking at me like I'm some sort of freak for saying "Morgen" and smiling as I pass someone on the street on a lovely sunny day. We live in a lovely part of Germany and I'm enjoying my time there, but I won't be sorry to say goodbye when it comes for us to leave. It's just a silly little thing, but I don't want to stay in Germany long enough for it to be considered normal to be rude to people when they greet you. That really would be the start of the end.

almost 10 weeks in Germany, not one person has said "thanks"when I hold a door open for them or move out of their way, you smile at them and they don't smile back, I find it disheartening, in Ireland, people were polite, even in the UK, but not here from what I can see.

I walk round with a permanent smile on my face and that in Ireland or the UK would result in smiles back, not here, maybe a frown.. sad

Yes Camper, people will think you're stoned, or perhaps mildly disabled, if you walk around with such a grin. Though, just because Germans as a society are generally not friendly toward strangers, doesn't mean they're all bad. I frequently have my fixed antipodean smile returned, often from young people or fellow friendly types. ;0)

Generally the ones who smile back are women, usually with a clipboard in one hand and a "free" trial newspaper subscription in the other.