What made you leave Germany

550 posts in this topic

Lol, have you ever tried to cancel a gym membership in the US?

Never got abill where I signed up for a service at a set price and pay extra, but i do everything online and never get any bills..

Sure, there are annoying things - paying to call a customer service line, etc. but I hardly find any of this shit oppressive.. its a minor annoyance to have to keep track of cancelling times, etc but its rarely if ever an issue in my life... Im gonna keep my bahncard, i havent changed cable in a few years...

These things are fairly minor and, while annoying, certainly not indicitive to making germany more money grubbing than the states where we have mastered the fuck you i've got mine culture of money grubbing.

Tossing around words like oppressive and unscrupulous seems a bit melodramatic, with all the people who live in actual opression I think they would be happy if their difficulties were having to keep track of their contractual agreements.

Fair enough, but I'm not as organized and it drives me bonkers. Yeah, I said bonkers.

But add to that the lack of rights of tenants and all the problems that pop up that never would in the states. Roof fell in on you? Well that's your fault for mixing gravity and time. Or the baskin robbins selection of insurances you need to carry, the ongoing skirmish with the finanzamt, the obligatory hiring of a tax advisor and their obligatory set minimum fees.

I'm also speaking as a freelancer, not someone in a company that has a lot of this shit sorted for them. Trust me, on dark days it can feel as the the entire society is out to crush your soul.

Tenants rights in the US are a joke too - I had to take 3 different landlords to small claims courts to ever get a deposit back..

Not to mention when an uninsured illegal mexican hit my car.. "oops, sorry, you didnt have uninsured motorist insurance, that'll be 10 grand out of pocket please".

And I'm guessing most self employed foreigners in the US hire tax preperation services too.

Being a freelancer and chronically disorganized seems like a good combination wink.gif

Shits more "by the rules" here, and the inflexibility can be annoying at times (i.e. beamtin) but I am still confused how notdeadyet considers this unscrupulous.

The main problem for me is the language...It is a language devoid of fun.

...German however, is just painful, and the longer I am here, the more I dislike it.

Far be it from me to launch an impassioned defence of the German language, but I think it is possible to have a lot of fun in German. Some of our friends are very funny and inventive in the language, with lots of word play and in-jokes. I find the 'lispiness' of Castilian Spanish rather irritating to be honest. Anyway, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Russian sounds like a rottweiler fight to my ears, but some Poles I know say they find the language soft and beautiful.

Oh, I like the sound of Arabic. So dramatic. But there is a huge variation of accents. The tour guide in Jordan mimicked a Moroccan accent and it was sooo accurate. (I knew a fair few Moroccans at one point thanks to a long-standing friend.) So it's like saying you don't like English because you've heard a Glaswegian or a guy from Georgia speak the language.

Someone above said that the Germany has a lot of rules that are 'written'. Well, isn't that a good thing? To have things in black and white so you know where you stand? And if it's written down, the other person cannot wriggle out of things.

I really do appreciate all the great responses so far, but can we not argue and belittle other people's views and opinions about why they left or want to leave Germany.

@ medic82: Just because you are the OP doesn't make it your discussion. You can't dictate what is discussed and who challenges who. That's up to the moderators.

Noel Furlong, I started this topic and I know the direction I want the topic to go in. This topic is not suppose to be about bashing Germany, or each others opinions about how they feel about Germany or other countries. it is simply to find out why people left Germany, or are thinking of leaving Germany.

Please know the difference between me dictating what should be discussed, and me simply asking that we stay on topic? If you want to bash Germany or other people's opinions perhaps you can start a topic with that intention.

ok medic, I left Germany 56(will be 57 this fall)years ago.My main reason was adventure lust and lots of despair and disgust at a variety of circumstances from economic to family.It did not much to solve these problems, but it opened my eyes to look at them and it changed my outlook and attitute and for that I'm happy that I left Germany.I have been back on holidays many of times and had the opportunity to compare things and every time I was glad that my permanent domicile was the true north strong and free.I also had the occasion to compare my condition with the south of the 49th parallel and I have to admit that now that our dollar is a nickel better than theirs and our economy a lot better yet, the adverse weather is a lot better to suffer.As for bureaucracy,the slump into the swamp is more advancing on this side of the pond as well.No escaping from it anywhere it seems.It looks the closer to a society you feel the more the more its rules are noticeable.

I have been here for about 5 yrs and am married to a German. I have lived in Taiwan and Sweden and have loved the time spent there.

I have enjoyed my time here so far , have good friends but even after 5 yrs I cant see myself living here forever and even raising my kids here.

I think Germans have a long way to go when it comes to cultural sensitivity. German culture is direct but in doing so they forget that what yo u say is important but whats more important is how you say it . What use is it being direct if you hurt people in the process. Germans call them self a christian nation but I would question that. Is it just me or would any of you on Toytown associate characteristics like kind , gentle, hospitable, friendly with the German culture?

Again I know this is very general and I would like to say that I have met some beautiful German people here, but isnt it the majority which defines the perception?

I am happy that my wife is open to leave when the time is right . Even after 5 yrs I want to fall in love with this culture but its really hard :unsure:

Germans call them self a christian nation but I would question that. Is it just me or would any of you on Toytown associate characteristics like kind , gentle, hospitable, friendly with the German culture?

Wouldn't really associate those things with Christianity either.

Someone above said that the Germany has a lot of rules that are 'written'. Well, isn't that a good thing? To have things in black and white so you know where you stand? And if it's written down, the other person cannot wriggle out of things.

The lack of flexibility and wiggle room becomes a problem when people stop thinking and start to blindly follow the rules. Also there is a difference in perspective. I'm used to the attitude that if something isn't specifically forbidden then it is allowed. In Germany it seems to be the opposite. Unless something is expressly allowed, then it is forbidden.

I doubt that I will ever leave Germany (excepting vacations or business, of course). I like it here and have built my life and business here. For me, the advantages of living in Germany far outweigh the disadvantages.

I don't think even the worst case scenario, such as losing my wife and three kids in some accident or something, would cause me to move back to the US.

Lol, have you ever tried to cancel a gym membership in the US?

Yes, I canceled a 3 year gym membership (less than a year into it) due to moving to Germany. Kein Problem.

Mlovett I absolutely love your posts. And love that you seem to have made the transition back to the US perfectly well.

Yes, I canceled a 3 year gym membership (less than a year into it) due to moving to Germany. Kein Problem.

But we had no problem cancelling our German gym membership when we were moving to the US, either. I think in most contracts it states you can break the contract if you move 50 km or more.

Thanks, medic. And people wonder why I still post here... who else is going to answer this thread? ;)

The entire moving to and from Germany ordeal was a huge pain in the ass, and to be honest, caused some marital strife. Just when I thought I was over it, we are looking to move again [to a decent school district]. Woe is me.

Do you have work contacts in the States that you can get back in touch with? Networking may help you feel comfortable with moving back. Home is where the heart is, and I had certainly left mine in San Francisco. :)

I recently left Germany for the reasons most people have explained but the initial high of being home in the UK has given way to something approaching despair. If you are thinking of coming back to the UK without a good job think very carefully. Yes it is nice to be able to speak English, and the British are a little friendlier and more open than the Germans (the overall impression is just a little), but other than that it is a very tough call. Everything is ridiculously expensive compared with krautland, and a lot of the country generally seems grotty and run down in comparison. Also if you are looking for a job, the economy here is awful and I mean really absolutely awful. There are virtually no jobs for young people and the ones going aren't paying well. I have found something but I'm on less than I was in Germany with higher costs. So think carefully about coming back to this place, it can be a right shithole at times.

I want to leave. like now! Probably it is just Bielefeld. I have never lived in a 'city' which is so..just awfully quiet! I got back from Paris today and already missing that big city smell. It is polluted, noisy, smelly, busy (well just like home :rolleyes: ) but at the same time, full of life and beauty. I think I could live happily in Stuggi or Munich or Berlin, but Bielefeld just won't cut it for me.