What made you leave Germany

550 posts in this topic

I wish my wife was not German...

Tell her, and then enjoy your newly found freedom...

Good point about the bureaucracy in Spain.

I worked there in 1994. There is the profession of 'gestor' in offices called 'gestorias'. They are basically people who help you get through the bureaucracy in Spain - like when you want to get a job. I've never needed the equivalent of a gestor in Germany.

You think Germans are bureaucratic?

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/the_gestor_gestoria/

"The place has made us paranoid

and pessimistic about the future of humanity. I mean this literally... "

I always feel that way about the UK.

To be fair, though, I see changes in German society that remind me of UK society and that scares me, too.

Too often I found people's behaviour to be deeply UNCHRISTIAN. Ended up going to church as a result! I am not a practising Christian myself but was brought up in a broadly Christian environment. Led me to conclude that like all good things you only miss the pay-offs of a christian society when you get to experience what a post-Christian society is. Which is not very pleasant. I agree that UK has gone the same way.

Expats are viewed as easy prey here by many financial 'advisors', see the threads about name removed by admin after legal threat and the various guises these con-men appear under for good examples. I came across several who were little short of crooks in my time - keep your wits about you. German contracts are amazingly restrictive compared to the UK, according to the stereotype that they so willingly adhere to Germans are insensitve to customers' needs, have little interest in resolving complaints, and all the other things we know and love.

But we have TT so really why are we surprised by any of this?

Too often I found people's behaviour to be deeply UNCHRISTIAN.

I find this is most often true of Christians.

Real christians are great, you can slap them around all day and they cant fight back.

After 2 years my husband and I can say we were ripped off by more people and businesses

here than in all our previous combined 84 years, thats what!

From the owner of the apartment to the 'relocation experts',

from Deutsche Bank to T-frackin-mobile,

from the doctors labs to the doc that cant read new research,

from the crappy post to the customs that destroyed our Christmas

from family without so much as an apology, traumatizing a sweet mother-in-law,

from a 'friend' we loaned money to, to the cab drivers that

dont show up, take you the long way, growl because they dont want to

drive for only a 7 minute fare.

God, we should write a book. People would not believe it.

When compared to my experience in the US, I'd have to enthusiastically agree. In my first 5 years in Germany I was constantly ripped off and subject to all kinds of "abuse" (for lack of a better term) in just about every facet of life. At every turn, somebody has their hand out for payment for something, and getting paid is often equally as painful. "Get as much money as possible, but pay as little as possible" seems to be the prevailing attitude.

I hadn't experienced this kind of daily unscrupulousness and across the board "get the money" attitude in any place I've lived in the US. There are other things not to like there, but never was I treated with such disrespect and ripped off at every turn as I was in Germany. I spent a fortune in Germany - and received virtually nothing in return. Naive? Certainly. I simply didn't expect to be defrauded by virtually everyone at every turn. Not my culture.

To be fair, Spain is a different set of headaches - if you thought maybe Germany might be corrupt, wait till you get a load of Spain. Corruption is a way of life here. But one important difference is that once you understand how things work in Spain, you can easily deal with just about anything since "flexibility" is always possible - and it isn't always about money. It's simple. If you are nice to people, they'll be nice to you. If you treat people like shit, they'll treat you like shit. In Germany, everything's "written" and inflexible, so you have little recourse against getting taken for a ride - in fact, in some cases the law facilitates, and even encourages unscrupulous behavior.

For those of you who would believe that only in America does money make the world go 'round, in my experience, money seems to be everything in Germany. If you have any money at all, you'll be very popular - they'll be lined up to take it from you, any way they can get it, and people seem to be willing to do as little as possible to get as much as they can get from you.

It's simple. If you are nice to people, they'll be nice to you. If you treat people like shit, they'll treat you like shit.

I'll kick off the replies from people who believe they're living in a parallel universe because they never experience those problems, by saying this philosophy applies everywhere including Germany.

I hadn't experienced this kind of daily unscrupulousness and across the board "get the money" attitude in any place I've lived in the US.

Yes, people aren't out to get your money in the us.. we just dance under rainbows and share everything...

When compared to my experience in the US, I'd have to enthusiastically agree. In my first 5 years in Germany I was constantly ripped off and subject to all kinds of "abuse" (for lack of a better term) in just about every facet of life. At every turn, somebody has their hand out for payment for something, and getting paid is often equally as painful. "Get as much money as possible, but pay as little as possible" seems to be the prevailing attitude.

I hadn't experienced this kind of daily unscrupulousness and across the board "get the money" attitude in any place I've lived in the US. There are other things not to like there, but never was I treated with such disrespect and ripped off at every turn as I was in Germany. I spent a fortune in Germany - and received virtually nothing in return. Naive? Certainly. I simply didn't expect to be defrauded by virtually everyone at every turn. Not my culture.

You mean, there's a kind of criminal mindset/mentality with many people here in Germany?

Yes, people aren't out to get your money in the us.. we just dance under rainbows and share everything...

But I certainly see his point. I have twice as many hands in my pockets here than ever before in my life. I'm tied to contracts in every direction.

Ironic, actually, as I have legal and financial obligations to all sorts of things throughout Germany, yet they make it nearly impossible for me to stay here legally or attain a proper job to pay for any of it.

Im trying to think of contracts i'm tied to here... Gym, Cable... same 2 I was tied to in the US. Utilities - same as the US..

Certainly its annoying to pay for things I'm not used to paying for - bags at stores, water, public transportation - but I certainly don't see it as "unscrupulous" as he claims it is, and it certainly doesn't feel any more "its all about the benjamins" than life back in the states.

It does feel a lot different to me. Back in the states there are different lifestyles you can lead to avoid that mentality if you wish, and I did. Here there's no avoiding it.

You can often cancel agreements with providers in the states as it's more of a free market and consumers actually have rights. My wife tore her knee up and we still had to pay her gym membership. If you don't write to cancel your Internet provider three months before your contract expires it renews for an entire year. If you don't cancel your Bahn card it renews automatically. If you have a transport pass and do not write to cancel it it renews automatically for another year. How many bills do you get where you signed up for a service at a set price but found out months later you are actually paying extra for them to mail you your bill? If I don't print out my bank statement they charge me to mail it to me. It's downright oppressive, and it constantly has me looking over my shoulder.