What made you leave Germany

550 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Britain hsa

Good Lord, I'm fully aware of the awful things the Anglo American Empire has done in the last few decades if not earlier. I know my history reasonably well.

We - Britain and America - have an incredibly dark history and have caused - still are causing  - huge problems round the world. However it isn't entirely "us evil them good" as the left might say and "Them foreigners bad we good" the right say. Until about 15 years ago "we" the West were doing a lot of good until around 2000 when "we" went on a rampage around the Middle East. My Arab friends stopped shaking my hand one morning in my research institute telling me "Your country (UK) is a murderer" and they were right. That was 1998 when Clinton bombed Somalia. How I hate him and his wife.

Presently the saviour of the world is turning out to be Vladimir Putin. Unbelievable when you think how bonkers they used to be in the Soviet era. He is a brilliant leader.

So your black and white thinking is somewhat flawed my friend.

Britain has a uncomparably dark history, please do not try to involve the US into it. They dont want to be associated with a former colonist state. The UK is more like Russia. Thanks to the UK's colonization there are multiple wars in the Middle East, Asia and Africa now.

And why am I not surprise you like Putin...

3 hours ago, Elfenstar said:

. But we'll probably move to the US, but not because we think we'd have a better life, but because we need a break from Germany. 

I hear ya.  We actually knew we had to get a gun or a dog...we went for the dog!  

I would say smaller cities are highly underated in the USA.  We bought a house 10 years ago for under 300K in a great city...Charlottesville, Va...that has been consistently rated a top city to live in for the past decade.  We pay 3K in property taxes.  

3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Actually, it was Britannia rules the waves...
Which it did back then.

I don't care what my country did before I was born and I have no issues with benefiting from it. I was tying my shoelaces the day that guilt was given out.

Are we talking about any countries in particular?

Not sure I understand why you direct your comment to me? I didn't say Britain ruled the world, Jeremy did. And he meant NOW not back then.

Also, the point of my comment was nt to make someone answer for Britain's behaviour in the Third World. The point was to show that you cannot compare the conversational subject of food preferences with the sensitive subject of politics, which Jeremy wanted to do when faced with some German person's opinion about the British food. It's like:

German person: I am not very fond of the British food.

Jeremy: And you... you are a Nazi!

19 minutes ago, klubbnika said:

Not sure I understand why you direct your comment to me? I didn't say Britain ruled the world, Jeremy did. And he meant NOW not back then.

Also, the point of my comment was nt to make someone answer for Britain's behaviour in the Third World. The point was to show that you cannot compare the conversational subject of food preferences with the sensitive subject of politics, which Jeremy wanted to do when faced with some German person's opinion about the British food. It's like:

German person: I am not very fond of the British food.

I am a Nazi (I thought the bar for being one of them was set higher)?

Or was Jeremy calling you a Nazi..? (Once again, high bar to meet)..

3 hours ago, Elfenstar said:

A friend and work colleague of mine who moved back last summer said she did so for 2 reasons - the failing health of a family member and to own a house. And she found a job with our company at their subsidiary close to her hometown. Granted, because she is living so close to D.C. her townhouse was half a million, but it was "easy" to buy compared to here and she really wanted her kids to have this.

I get it. There are moments when I am ready to pack up and others where I think I'll just spend a weekend at my in-laws and allow my kid to enjoy their huge house and meticulously manicured yard and garden. Also, I am already mourning the grade school experience he'll miss out by attending school in Germany. I hear only the "horror" stories told by parents of classmates about their older siblings in grade school. :blink:

Last summer, after 3 weeks in the US (Austin), hubs and I used it as a "scouting" trip. In the end we realized:  We might have more earning power in the US, but we'd never truly own our own home (thanks to property taxes) and traffic was maddening making it impossible to have a "nice drive to work". There are other concerns we'll have too (insurance, gun violence to name 2). But we'll probably move to the US, but not because we think we'd have a better life, but because we need a break from Germany. 

Every time I go back to visit the UK I get reverse culture shock after waiting for 20 minutes in the passport line.

In summer it is a long queue as they do not seem to have remembered lots of people flay at this time.

It costs around €4 to go from the city to my parents place (6KM), here it costs me €42 a month and I can travel as much as I need/want and at the weekends/public holidays my year ticket counts as a family ticket.

However.... I come from an area where you are classed as travelled if you go to Majorca or another holiday island once a year.

If I ever go back to the UK, it wil not be to my old home area (although it is a really nice city, the villages are full of people who wouldn't know a job if it mugged them).

7 hours ago, jeremy said:

Alright then no worries, so when we sit next to our German relatives, shall we all blurt out:

"So what did Oma and Opa do during the Third Reich?"

Perfectly honest justifiable innocent question. 

If you really want to know you could well ask. Maybe don't blurt it out though, but principally it seems like a honest, justifiable innocent question indeed. I asked it and received answers.

18 hours ago, jeba said:

???:blink:

Oopps... American food tends to be unhealthier than German. But I didn't want people to think I believe America is all burgers and fries. Sadly I think that there's a lot more additives in food here and also added sugars. Of course Germany is doing a 'wonderful' job of catching up. 

tine 

18 hours ago, jeba said:

It's not rude in the German book, it's just honest.

It's rude in my book - and I'm all German. My (German) parents did raise us to not insult people and just grin and bear it. If we want to bitch about it at home later, then we can.  Unless I am at a restaurant and my food is overly salty to a point where it's inedible (which has happened) I don't generally complain about the taste. someone went through the effort to cook for me, I'm eating it. 

Even the terrible "lasagna" my ex made for me (with Oscar Myer ham...*shivers), I ate it and smiled and was grateful he cooked for me. 

And to stay on topic - what made me leave Germany? I married an American. :P Plus I do think the US have a lot to offer. The reason I'm leaving the US now is similar to why others have left Germany... my family (parents are aging, siblings having kids) and I got a great job near my hometown. Why not give it a shot? Nothing is permanent unless we choose it to be so... if 5 years down the road I feel German food is shit and I miss the US of A... and Trump or Clinton haven't ruined it somehow, I can always go back :) 

2 hours ago, jeremy said:

Lord help us if the Witch gets in. 

Lord help us if Mr. Fart gets in!

1 hour ago, klubbnika said:

Sexist much? No wonder you loved Saudi Arabia.

Me sexist? nope. 

Anti feminist? Yep.

*rubs hands* Please someone else tell klubbie what I "do" for a living! :) 

Sexist much? No wonder you loved Saudi Arabia.

Me sexist? nope. 

Anti feminist? Yep.

No I am not. my mother is. Or rather more accurately, WAS.

When we were renovating our place in the Dordogne, my mother used to order me around and tell me where to schlepp soil in the wheelbarrow all the time. She, my Dad and I spent weeks in wellies, up to our arms in mud, slogging away to bring the place into order. I used to goose step round the yard when she gave me commands.

Yes that is a ridiculous image I know. I come from a country where you are free to make nonsense like that if you want. Don't forget we are the country which invented the Ministry of Silly Walks!

On 6. Juni 2016 11:44:05, gemini said:

I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief that after 16 years in Europe (11 in Germany and 5 in the U.K.) that in 7 weeks we will board the Queen Mary and head home to the USA!

You go back in style. Great!!!

BTW- do they still do health checks in Ellis Island before entry :D?

1 hour ago, jeremy said:

Me sexist? nope. 

Anti feminist? Yep.

Jeremy is an unpaid slave to his wife and children, klubbnika. He cooks, cleans, shops, gardens, grows veggies and fruit, irons, washes clothes and basically looks after his family 24/7? . He's a househusband! Very modern?

john - thank you for pretty much writing my job title!

irons? Nope a good shake and done. washes clothes - attempts to but fails!

Today was in fact spent running up and down looking after a 12 year old and carrying snotty tissues to the fire!

Big change from my earlier life scuba diving in oilfields! :)

11 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Did you see anything there or did you use the Force?

4 hours ago, klubbnika said:

Britain has a uncomparably dark history, please do not try to involve the US into it. They dont want to be associated with a former colonist state. The UK is more like Russia. Thanks to the UK's colonization there are multiple wars in the Middle East, Asia and Africa now.

And why am I not surprise you like Putin...

I´m no fan historically of anyone´s imperialism but it happened and has happened throughout human history. I don´t know if Britain has an incomparably dark history..there are some interesting challengers out there historically!

You do make a curious statement: " they don´t want to be associated with a former colonist State ".:rolleyes:...what a hilarious and puerile statement!

There are multiple wars NOW in the Middle East, Asia and Africa because of UK colonisation? No doubt it´s all the fault of the UK!  I mean, humans outside the UK are SO perfect..no nasty thugs, landgrabbers, rapists, criminals, woman haters, gay haters etc....just perfect...!!!!!!

Humans are the problem historically..not only this State or the other...

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Did you see anything there or did you use the Force?

Suppose I did. Two mega oil platforms with flares between our dive sites.

The only force I witnessed was my brilliant Filipino colleagues lugging my arse up into the boat! :) 

My nickname after that was "Kick kick" as you have to really fin like F*ck to get out of the water.

Our other dive trip in the Red Sea was more fun. got to  chase blue spotted sea turtles in a Dacor Seasprint underwater scooter. And yes I was paid to do it!

15 hours ago, jeremy said:

Wow...I was trained as a medical dive physician in San Diego.  Learned from the dude who invented mixed gas diving.  Thought I too would have to work on the oil rigs (with the hyperbaric chambers, not doing the actual diving)...but I was able to work in Medicine without going that route.