What made you leave Germany

550 posts in this topic

I sometimes think of leaving but just to try another nation and I'd probably keep a base here. What I notice - though - is that it is a pattern. When I have these thoughts, it is usually when I feel threatened / frustrated (tax authority sniffing round what my business is doing, or something).

What I say about emigration is you have to end up better than before. Not just "as good" because we have to put in a ton of work in the process, we need a return on that as well. We haven't just moved down the road. What that "better" is is different for all of us.

The attrition rate is high, we just tend not to hear from the ones that leave. I was part of a large number of Brits who left London in the boom time (around 2004-6) and (although you do not say your work) that was also the era of "I'll work for myself or downshift". I mean not only to mainland Europe but also other parts of the UK. But, in 2011, most are gradually heading back to London and none seriously rely on their own business (they are in employment, a few still dabble a bit). I am one of the few left standing. Almost all of the others still doing it have the employed cushion of good jobs. So - yes - it does seem often to be about money and opportunity and work. When we emigrate, it's easy to downplay those (in the excitement of a new life etc) and it is fashionable to do so per se, but over time it can matter a lot to a lot of people.

The other thing I'd say from my experience is that it is a long term game for most of us. You are listed here as a 2008 joiner. Don't know if that is when you came here but, in year 3, was still having to input and work. It was later I started getting big returns! Also my initial concerns about inflexibility of the nation etc have gone too, I know practices and reality, I have a ton of contacts etc and now I really don't see that....or care anyway, easier to fight your corner!

No straw in particular broke the camel's back but there was certainly NOTHING TO STAY FOR and I knew of a better hole... so I went to it. No regrets.

You are listed here as a 2008 joiner. Don't know if that is when you came here but, in year 3, was still having to input and work. It was later I started getting big returns!

I have to agree here. It did not feel successful for me until in my fifth year here.

Not trying to discourage or be negative against you Med because I definitely remember your words coming out of my mouth many a times. I am just saying it takes a bit sometimes to find success sometimes. For me, now, it comes to small battles and big battles. Good luck dude.

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming from this place, but I am excited for my future in another country.

It is indeed hard to make friends, but for me I think it might be my 'scene' more than Germany that is the problem.

Buying this property would be reason enough for us to move out of Germany. It is close enough to the airport that my husband could theoretically continue in his current job. And then we'd just get a smaller place in Toronto like Mom's condo for enjoying the big city life. But right now isn't the right time to ask the company about relocating, and I doubt we could sell our German properties quick enough. My German husband has already said that moving back to Germany was a mistake and we won't be spending the rest of our lives here. My mistake was in checking out properties before we're ready to move.

Holy crap, Bipa, I want to own my own island!! Thanks for the link; we're in the real estate market at the mo. ;)

Bipa, I'd definitely move out of Germany for that property, no need to put a fence up for the dogs either!! (unless they are REALLY good swimmers!)

But, it is right next to the Elephant's asshole!!!

post-16951-13034906372569.jpg

It is even denoted on google maps as an A for asshole.

Yep, that property is my dream home. It has road access so you don't need to take a boat every time you want to leave. It has a well so you don't have to take lake water, and a permanent stone pier. 2 acres is a nice size, not too big. And like Nicole said, we'd only have to make the gate across the causeway dog-proof with no other fencing requirements to keep the dogs on the property. No neighbours to be upset about dogs barking, no official "quiet time" to restrain me from playing with the dogs or making noise whenever I like. It is only 135 miles from Toronto, and the price is quite reasonable. My husband has already said that he'd want to add a Blockheizkraftwerk, otherwise he loves it.

My husband and I love the peninsula and have spent time there together on a couple of trips. We even took his parents there and stayed at Lion's Head and took the ferry across from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island. His parents were amazed that at one point you are on the ferry and all you see is water and the horizon with no land in sight, yet it is all fresh water. It is a completely different world.

mlovett, if you buy it then I expect to get an invitation in lieu of commission. ;)

I´d like to retire in a hot country, gaberlunzi! Where the grass is always yellow! ( But not in the Tropics - done that - wouldn´t have the energy to put up with the energy-sapping humidity!) :)

My granny always told me, boy don't be trading your horses for donkies.

And my granny always used to tell me " your grandad is in the pub again..." :rolleyes:

The weather in the Hamburg area is HORRIBLE; sky is ~always grey.

Sorry to hear about your woes, but Hamburg's weather has been beautiful for a week, best Spring in a long time, and set to continue for a while.

Oh boy, a whole week! :D

John, CA grass color - it ain't called The Golden State for nothin'.

post-33917-13034942010733.jpg

silty1: well, I´m enjoying this sunshine, too. Balcony sunny, chair out there. The problem is: can I really trust it to last? And for how long? No wonder Hamburg is so anglophile - same miserable, unreliable weather...

mlovett, if you buy it then I expect to get an invitation in lieu of commission.

But of course!

Dang it, Bipa, now you've got me comparing the crap I can buy here at that price, to that dream property. I even showed it to the GerMan. Damn you! :P

I´d like to retire in a hot country, gaberlunzi! Where the grass is always yellow! ( But not in the Tropics - done that - wouldn´t have the energy to put up with the energy-sapping humidity!)

John, try Hawaii.Just take your shorts and sandals,that will do. Oh yes and money, then you can hang lose.Have you tried southern Mexico like Oaxaca?You are speaking spanish?